75 pound Hayabusa weight reduction

c10

Registered
Bad weather day here , and little to do in garage except compile all weight savings over the last 3.5 years . Video shows ease of bags / racks removal plus their weight .
If your not into watching boring YouTube here it is 75 pounds saved so far . Racks , and bags all together weight 29 pounds 10 ounces . I have said before loaded up for a tour the bike is lighter than a stock Hayabusa . Really need to ride it one day with out all my bags/rack to feel the benefit of the savings .
The goal is to be about 486 wet after replacing swing arm , wheels , and trimming what ever else can be . Looking into Titanium fork springs or may just do like Willie , and Toad . Go Ohlins front end to save 4 lb . One thing is reliability to consider as some things could be reduced further. ( 1 lb lighter battery example )
Really want to keep things simple , and proven to work . Been this route before on a sub 400 pound ZRX1200R . You couldn't pay me to ride it coast to coast . It was on the edge of parts reliability for any extended use . Learned many do's , and don'ts from that bike .
Also wonder if anyone knows what Brocks clutch mod might save weight wise since its Aluminum vs the steel back torque limiter .
Now that we have many items on paper i'll add to the list in the future so others will know .
If any of you know of something that can save weight please feel free to throw it out there .

Busa weight sheet.JPG

Busa weight sheet 2.JPG

Bad weather day here , and little to do in garage except compile all weight savings over the last 3.5 years . Video shows ease of bags / racks removal plus their weight .
If your not into watching boring YouTube here it is 75 pounds saved so far . Racks , and bags all together weight 29 pounds 10 ounces . I have said before loaded up for a tour the bike is lighter than a stock Hayabusa . Really need to ride it one day with out all my bags/rack to feel the benefit of the savings .
The goal is to be about 486 wet after replacing swing arm , wheels , and trimming what ever else can be . Looking into Titanium fork springs or may just do like Willie , and Toad . Go Ohlins front end to save 4 lb . One thing is reliability to consider as some things could be reduced further. ( 1 lb lighter battery example )
Really want to keep things simple , and proven to work . Been this route before on a sub 400 pound ZRX1200R . You couldn't pay me to ride it coast to coast . It was on the edge of parts reliability for any extended use . Learned many do's , and don'ts from that bike .
Also wonder if anyone knows what Brocks clutch mod might save weight wise since its Aluminum vs the steel back torque limiter .
Now that we have many items on paper i'll add to the list in the future so others will know .
If any of you know of something that can save weight please feel free to throw it out there .

View attachment 1590708

View attachment 1590709
Wow, that's impressive....

Typed out for you was a little hard for me to read on mobile so trying to help others out.

Rotors 2lbs
Exhaust 35lbs
GSXR Fender 1lbs
Battery 9lbs
LSL Bars 4lbs
Abs Delete 4lb 8oz
Shock 3lb 12oz
Engine Clutch Cover 8oz
Bar ends 1lb
Sprockets 12oz
Belly wing/bracket 2lbs
Rear Fender 1lb
Emissions 2lbs
Pegs 1lb 4oz
Side stand 1lb 3oz
Vortex fuel cap 7oz
Titanium hardware 6lbs

That's awesome thanks for posting.

Does the seat you had add weight vs stocker?
GSXR mirrors how much did that save you?

Additional savings CT exhaust that's in classified 2lbs
Whatever the r1 wheels (cheapest option) would be, are you running a light tire as well?
Have you cut the pieces out of the rear sets to lighten them a bit?
Get the oversized air duct, you'll be able to remove the front turn signals and it uses the clearance lights in the headlight as turn signals.

That's about all I can think of right now.

The stock mirrors are very light , but not in my attic now . Gave them away , The GSXR100's are about same , but the mirror extensions add weight .
The seat difference is 15 ounces heavier for RDL saddle vs stock . I found my rear brake hose / res .
It was 3 ounces , and a misc pile of brackets / elect connectors never weighed that were 6 ounces .
So another 9 oz off the above . Have some Titanium on order that will net another few ounces .
Found a old thread here showing a pound can be lost by the fan shrouds on Gen 2 models . May by a e bay fan to experiment with.

The stock mirrors are very light , but not in my attic now . Gave them away , The GSXR100's are about same , but the mirror extensions add weight .
The seat difference is 15 ounces heavier for RDL saddle vs stock . I found my rear brake hose / res .
It was 3 ounces , and a misc pile of brackets / elect connectors never weighed that were 6 ounces .
So another 9 oz off the above . Have some Titanium on order that will net another few ounces .
Found a old thread here showing a pound can be lost by the fan shrouds on Gen 2 models . May by a e bay fan to experiment with.
I can weight the stock mirrors on my small scale, so you can have an exact weight. I’ll do it and post here when I get a chance.
On another note, I’ve always wondered if ceramic bearings would save weight or they are about the same. I know first how hand how good it feels to have lighter wheels, so I like the idea of saving weight in that area of the bike, just don’t want to take of good OEM rotors to replace for lighter ones.

Rotating weight is the place to dump 1st if one can . Rotors are a wear item Miguel ;) Ceramic should be lighter than steel . Mathewrussel52 shared the brocks clutch hub is 201 grams or 7 ounces lighter than stock back torque limiter .

Good going Bryon , I can see you are edging towards some really achievable performance goals with what you are doing with RJ . I predict the LSR for baggers , and some sort of drag race record on the horizon !!
Looking forward to it ... but remember that most desired build , an A to B long distance run at speed across country , all those successful cannonball / moonshiners of past , combine that bulletproof component reliability with long legged HP . :thumbsup:

Back