More extreme weight reduction

Draco how far do you plan on taking this project? Does the bike only need the title of "street bike" or does it have to be a street daily ridden bike?

I removed the rear brakes,rear pegs, brake fluid resevoir in rear, rear brake arm, lines,caliber and rotor is next
Iam pretty sure when you go to have her inspected at the drag strip..they are going to frown on you not having any rear brakes...???

Draco how far do you plan on taking this project? Does the bike only need the title of "street bike" or does it have to be a street daily ridden bike?

I need to be able to get to the local watering hole on Saturday nights with my friends, and drive it into the city of Boston on the occasional suny day.

Iam pretty sure when you go to have her inspected at the drag strip..they are going to frown on you not having any rear brakes...???

I run with no rear brake all the time. I dont even have the rear disc back there. Some leave the disc so it looks like the brakes are still on.

NHRA and AMA tech require a rear brake per tech manual, but I'm sure it is sometimes overlooked. For an event however I would suggest they be in place. Would suck to get put on the trailer before making a pass....

Here is another simple 1 pound removal job. The shrouds on the fans can be removed by drilling out the spot welds. I reinforced the bracket after shroud removal with two small spot welds afterwords. 10 minute job.

BTW, the oil cooler is 4.0 pounds with no oil in it. Probably 4.5 lbs full. I'm getting close to my target weight of 460 lbs gassed up WITH A REAR BRAKE.

shroud2.jpg

Thought I would reactivate this thread since its kind of slow around here if you ignore the trash talk. Target weight for the Busa this winter is 455 lbs and 155 for me.

I made my own kickstand (its still a street bike:whistle:) by brazing a 1040 High carbon .020" wall tube into the bored out clevis of the original kick stand. Much lighter than aluminum. Eliminated the kickstand switch and bolt by soldering is normally closed. Lot of grinding, but the end result was removal of 2.0 lbs.

kickstand.JPG

With the help of CommutaBusa, I am switching out the tank for a fuel cell with a thin carbon fiber cover. This is still work in progress, but it seems like this will drop my chest and head WAY below the windscreen. I probably need to rebuild the seat and slide my ass about 5 inches forward to take advantage of this.

fuelcell1.JPG

With the help of CommutaBusa, I am switching out the tank for a fuel cell with a thin carbon fiber cover. This is still work in progress, but it seems like this will drop my chest and head WAY below the windscreen. I probably need to rebuild the seat and slide my ass about 5 inches forward to take advantage of this.

fuelcell1.JPG

If your going this far you might as well cut the frame rails and really get low. If I were in the market for a new tank or cover I would:beerchug:

If your going this far you might as well cut the frame rails and really get low. If I were in the market for a new tank or cover I would:beerchug:

Sean, I've thought about it, but I probably won't cut the rails. I don't think I could get me feet on the front pegs if I did, and second, its an irreversible change. I'm pretty sure I would have to put my feet on rear pegs, and that would require a different pipe, and a new tail section.

Thought I would reactivate this thread since its kind of slow around here if you ignore the trash talk. Target weight for the Busa this winter is 455 lbs and 155 for me.

I made my own kickstand (its still a street bike:whistle:) by brazing a 1040 High carbon .020" wall tube into the bored out clevis of the original kick stand. Much lighter than aluminum. Eliminated the kickstand switch and bolt by soldering is normally closed. Lot of grinding, but the end result was removal of 2.0 lbs.

kickstand.JPG

remove the entire kickstand assmbly......and carry a small triangle stand to hold the bike up while parked.

The tank comes out with just 4 bolts and on simple snap connection. Takes about 4 minutes to pull it. Regulator is underneath.

regulator1.jpg

Back