More extreme weight reduction

Fairly decent weight reduction for $210 bucks in parts from things I picked up on ebay, plus the whole tank is well below the air box, and only sticks up above the seat by 2", so it should help getting down on the tank. Now I just need to finish up the carbon fiber tank cover.

fuelcell3.jpg

Apparently I need to put a 50 ohm resistor across the fuel gauge wires. Failure to do so throws a code.

I embarrased by how well your setup looks comapared to mine. :bowdown: Glad you got the FI light figured out. :thumbsup:

hmmmm cf tank cover :drooling3: btw.. how much did the OE tank with pump weight?

Last edited:
btw.. how much did the OE tank with pump weight?

Stock tank with insulation, brackets, tubing, pump, etc was 23 lbs. Plus I needed to run almost 2 gallons to make sure I didn't starve the pump. The new setup with < 1 gallon should be 22 lbs lighter.

Next job is to remove the lead acid battery, build a lithium A123 battery the shape of a billy club, and place it were the oil cooler used to be.

Again, thanks Commuta for the design layout.

I picked up a crashed tank off of ebay to make a mold for the carbon fiber cover. Quite a bit more work to go, but the cover will lie down directly on the airbox and also allow me to sit forward another 5 inches.

fuelcell5.jpg

I wish i had some metal fab/body work abilities. :bowdown: It's the one area I'm clueless and relay on others for help. So far, so good.:thumbsup:

Bike weight is now down to 452. This is the first copy of the integrated seat / tank cover done in fiberglass. The next one will be done in vacuum molded Carbon. Rider position was shifted forward about 4 inches, and tank cover is right on top of the airbox.
Decided to not cut the frame rails because its a street driven licenced inspected street bike.

tank3.jpg

tank1.jpg

tank2.jpg

that's the best looking setup I've seen. :bowdown: You've put alot of time and effort into that setup and it shows. :thumbsup:

Very nice. Looving the one piece seat and tank cover.

You've done a very nice job. The Land speed guys would love to have that to get out of the wind.

When you get the CF done, I bet you will no prob finding a new home for that piece or anymore of them you want to produce.

im sure you could get it street legal...do like we do with the cheap jap choppers, weld on a titled neck from another model..good to go.

There you go. The most effective way to weight-reduce your busa is to take the motor out and put it into a chrome moly pro-stock chassis. Can't top that.

in the long run, it may actually be cheaper haha. of corse im sure we could make this chassis even lighter, carbon fiber body, carbon fiber wheels.

ive got $2800 in this set up, purchasing everything off ebay. has more extra stuff not pictured. weight is going to be around 380lbs, 8.60s with stock motor and 140lb rider. my total investment in this dragbike build will be $5800, hard to beat that.

Last edited:
Yea, but I can drive mine to work legally licenced, insured, and inspected by the fine state of Massachusetts, and get 40 mpg to boot.:laugh:

not gonna argue with ya on that one...i could make this legal, but damn if it wouldnt be one helluva rough ride. plus, i dont street ride.

Back