Shaving Some Weight Off the 08

vmaxbaby

Registered
My tuner loves the Busa but hates the weight so for the past month or so we have been putting the beast on a diet. Of course the exhaust was the first to go, than the heavy bar ends, foot peg feelers, license plate bracket, etc. Once we removed all the fairings we found some other stuff to remove and replace with something lighter or modify what was there. One thing is these 4 pieces in the picture. You won't think they weight that much but take them all off and hold in your hand and it feels like 10 pounds (He weighted it first but don't have those numbers in front of me, but will let everyone know the before and after. So anyhow these pieces are at a machine shop right now getting weight cut out of them. I took a red sharpie to outline what I thought would help but the machine shop looked at them and said they get the idea and will do there magic on them. Yes before you said it I could have bought SATO rear sets or another brand but I thought it would be cool to have custom factory parts, plus the machine work is free since I did some work for the owner. I will post up pictures next week. My theory is if you shave a pound here and there 20 different times than you can add up to some real savings. He is working on other weight reduction but that info comes later :)

IMG_0453.jpg

are you keeping a real time total on weight loss? curious just how much you shave.. I have an easy 45lbs to shave off my bike (well off me)

Yes we have a pile of stuff that I will weight once we feel we are done with it. I love the power of the Busa but also loved the weight of my liter bikes so trying to have a little of both with the 08 :)

Mine is 80% race bike, and is not set up for supporting a passenger, but she is finally under 500 lbs with stock wheels and 6 lbs of lead in the front. There is a LOT of stuff that can be pulled off.

:thumbsup:Looking got,but the loss weight will be just a little...Try with the exhaust system,rims and subframe..U can also start a diet yourself:laugh:

For racing I would think the rear pegs and subframe could be gone completely.

If I lost anymore weight, I would look like I was doing the impression of superman while riding my busa! I guess the bike has to go on a diet!!! HAHAHA!

Exhaust lost 35lbs. to the bike....Rims (expensive) but next area of noticeable weight loss! Then the rear sets etc.

Randy I guess you will have to get on weight watchers!!!!:whistle:

Get yourself some carbon fibre wheels, that and going to a after market exhaust (Tuskigi) and pair valve removal made a huge difference.

BSTWheels2.jpg

BST's are the only way to go!:thumbsup:

6.1 pounds front
8.0 pounds rear

Coming out early Jan 2009. I called today to get some more info but got voice mail

As soon as I know something I will start a new post. Retail is $ 1,700.00 but I know a dealer that is not selling at Retail. More details as I get them.

You could fab up a GSXR600 motor, that would drop some weight :poke:

Really if you want to see a difference, rims and exhaust are the only real changes that can be made without spending a LOT of time and money.

Usually (this goes for me) a rider diet is the best weight savings (at least the cheapest). :laugh:

6.1 pounds front
8.0 pounds rear

Coming out early Jan 2009. I called today to get some more info but got voice mail

As soon as I know something I will start a new post. Retail is $ 1,700.00 but I know a dealer that is not selling at Retail. More details as I get them.
I don't think they will offer that style for the big bikes based on a chat with them last week..they do look sharp though and for the price they are tough to beat.

There is a lot of easy stuff to come off if you need to get the pounds off the bike.
The winglet on the bottom with the big steel bracket can be ditched. The wing does nothing under 180, and kills your clearance.
The steel bar ends, Pair valve, OEM mirrors, mud flap, and lead weights on the bottom of the footpegs can be all be jettisoned.
There is an enourmous amount of heavy noise insulation on the inside of every pannel, under the tank, behind the engine. Get rid of it. You whant to hear your motor; this isn't a honda.
I got rid of the passenger pegs, and if you don't plan on carying passengers, there is a bunch of weight to get rid of..
The rear tail with blinkers and light are very heavy. A catalyst single piece tail with a lightweight tail light and integrated blinkers saves a ton of weight. A lot of the steel and hardware on the rear subframe can be eliminated if you ditch the tail. Rear seat as well.
Rear tire weights vary quite a bit, and affect wheel inertia more that light weight rotors and sprockets. The Mickey Thompson saves as much weight on the rear wheel as many aftermarket rims. Good race tire. Not so good for the street.
If you stretch your bike, remember that a chrome moly arm is 3 to 4 lbs lighter than a custom aluminum arm, or more for a stock welded arm, or stock arm with solid (heavy)extensions.
There is a bunch of small stuff that can be removed, but I can't remember half of it.

Still curious about the wheel upgrade! Is that complete with bearings, cush drive, and sprocket? Keep this post a live!:beerchug:

Lost weight in replacing the exhaust system....wheels would be my next area of major weight loss. If I lost any more weight I would be doing the superman impression while going fast on the busa!!!! :race:

Back