Throwing it all in the trash...motorcycle parts

rubbersidedown

TURBO-BUSA-RIDIN'-BASTID
Donating Member
Registered
The sadness continues down at the shop. Mind numbing, labor intensive "recycling"
Been a couple of weeks now of dismantle to get my friend some bucks for old parts. Everything involves hours and hours of labor. Take wheels for instance. Throw them in the metal bin you get 4 cents a pound. But if you put in hours upon fuggin hours of work...you get 40 cents a pound. Like 2 pickup truck fulls,gets you 450 dolla.Whoopie ding right.:confused: If you had to pay somebody hourly to strip the tires,seals,bearings,valve stems and balancing weights,then load it,truck it and dump it you'd probably lose money. I'm doing it for my Bro for free. If somebody needs a wheel for their bike thats been in a crash,or they are restoring something,one good wheel can sell for as much as 200. The other day on the net,a used beat up 1972 Suzuki GT750 front wheel sold for $1000.oo Used bike parts are worth money to some people.

c.jpg

d.jpg

Ever take apart dozens of clutches? Worth very little. The pressure plates are ally,easy strip,but the hubs and baskets have steel in them,hard to take apart.4 cents a pound for most of it.

b.jpg

Motors have a lot of aluminum in them,take the cylinders for example. But have to press out the steel liners.Heads are not really worth the time. Cams,rockers,guides,etc have to come out.Takes time..
Bye bye old gixxer...

a.jpg

Today I was pretty fast with forks. There is 1 part that is aluminum. I can strip a fork in under 2 minutes. I have approx maybe 200 to strip. Todays haul was what is referred to as irony. Parts that contain a mix of many kinds of metal. 1 truck full was 23 dolla. Some parts are new,just never sold. Take em' outa the boxes and plastic and launch them in the bin.

This one's for you guys...a lonely Busa can sits on the edge,waiting to go to that great big junkyard in the sky. Probably was ordered on an' insurance repair,then the customer decided on aftermarket or something...it still has the factory plastic on. Our apprentice couldn't resist smashing it...(he's a harley guy)...bastid...
I had to look away...:confused:

f.jpg

Rubb.

The sadness continues down at the shop. Mind numbing, labor intensive "recycling"
Been a couple of weeks now of dismantle to get my friend some bucks for old parts. Everything involves hours and hours of labor. Take wheels for instance. Throw them in the metal bin you get 4 cents a pound. But if you put in hours upon fuggin hours of work...you get 40 cents a pound. Like 2 pickup truck fulls,gets you 450 dolla.Whoopie ding right.:confused: If you had to pay somebody hourly to strip the tires,seals,bearings,valve stems and balancing weights,then load it,truck it and dump it you'd probably lose money. I'm doing it for my Bro for free. If somebody needs a wheel for their bike thats been in a crash,or they are restoring something,one good wheel can sell for as much as 200. The other day on the net,a used beat up 1972 Suzuki GT750 front wheel sold for $1000.oo Used bike parts are worth money to some people.

View attachment 1629252

View attachment 1629253

Ever take apart dozens of clutches? Worth very little. The pressure plates are ally,easy strip,but the hubs and baskets have steel in them,hard to take apart.4 cents a pound for most of it.

View attachment 1629251

Motors have a lot of aluminum in them,take the cylinders for example. But have to press out the steel liners.Heads are not really worth the time. Cams,rockers,guides,etc have to come out.Takes time..
Bye bye old gixxer...

View attachment 1629250

Today I was pretty fast with forks. There is 1 part that is aluminum. I can strip a fork in under 2 minutes. I have approx maybe 200 to strip. Todays haul was what is referred to as irony. Parts that contain a mix of many kinds of metal. 1 truck full was 23 dolla. Some parts are new,just never sold. Take em' outa the boxes and plastic and launch them in the bin.

This one's for you guys...a lonely Busa can sits on the edge,waiting to go to that great big junkyard in the sky. Probably was ordered on an' insurance repair,then the customer decided on aftermarket or something...it still has the factory plastic on. Our apprentice couldn't resist smashing it...(he's a harley guy)...bastid...
I had to look away...:confused:

View attachment 1629255

Rubb.
Unfrickin berievable!!
What a waste.... so sad.
Moving right along.......... have you salvaged enough parts to build up a bike?

Unfrickin berievable!!
What a waste.... so sad.
Moving right along.......... have you salvaged enough parts to build up a bike?
Don't know if you caught that blurb in one of my other threads Greg that I'm hoping to snap up that 2002 Honda 954. It was parked 8 years ago,no attempt made to store it properly. The owner would have to throw thousands at it in parts/labor,but I wouldn't. Its about the only thing I would be interested in thats at the shop now..There are a ton of cheap bikes out there I could pick up that have been left to die,bikes I could get free parts for. Some folks just give up on their bike because shops have quoted more than they can afford,or they just have no interest. Pick any bike say thats 10-20 years old,you know what its gonna need.Plus it may have stopped running due to say a dead stator or something. Pricey part...well there might be a stator on the shelf I could have for free. So labor on just about any bike is no worry,its some parts I dont have. This RR needs all the masters re-built,all the calipers,prolly wheel bearings,steering head bearings,tune-up,chain and sprogs,battery and tires.A shop would charge a fortune.It would be like 10-15 hours in labor,maybe closer to 20. I could go aftermarket for most of that,do all the labor myself,come away with a decent winter beater for cheap. I dont need top-of-line anything...it wont be a track bike or anything,just fun transportation.Its only got like 8000 miles on it.It only took me a minutes to get running (fuel pump was dead) the thing sounds tight and awesome. I know I need to get my Busa off the road ASAP...winter is here.
Rubb.

That’s fine. I have a gen1 busa tail section getting trashed. Couldn’t give it away.

Today was mind numbing.I actually like re-building forks. It can be challenging,but its still cool. Today,was NOT challenging. My bro will get a few dollars for the ally,next to nothing for the steel. I have maybe 2-300 pairs of forks to disassemble.
Zero on the fun scale.
1c.jpg

1d.jpg

Just a few more to go...LOL.
@202mphbusa last chance if ya need any bits for yer VMax carbs...

1b.jpg

The carb racks are emptying fast...
1a.jpg

All the real work is pretty much done. This Father and Son duo is done except for I'm waiting on 1 part for the "DaD Bike"...I got scared test riding the 50...:shocked:

Rubb.

1e.jpg

Rubb Looking for
1984 Honda V30 Magna right side battery cover
Also the plate between the forks just above the fender

Rubb Looking for
I fixed an '84 V30 for a friend once...it had a whole 1500kms on it..he got posted to Germany and left it in storage at his parent's house...

Boy was the fueling system ever gummed up on that thing...and what a job to get the carbs out....

Ahhhh the memories.......

Rubb Looking for

Rubb did miss my Question?
Nope. 99% of the tins are gone. :confused: There is 2 Magna's in deep storage.I'll check on those. Hundreds of forks are gone,but there is about a hundred pair left. I'll check for the fork brace tomorrow.
Rubb.

Nope. 99% of the tins are gone. :confused: There is 2 Magna's in deep storage.I'll check on those. Hundreds of forks are gone,but there is about a hundred pair left. I'll check for the fork brace tomorrow.
Rubb.
Thanks Sir

Probably went out to "recycle" already (fork brace) sorry @GIXERHP. Going to stick someone on tanks and side covers today,something may turn up there. Yesterday was the prep on the last few swingarms...:confused: About 20-30 sportbike varieties,gone.
Rubb.

20201113_111647.jpg

Last of the forks... @GIXERHP need a pic of that fork brace you wanted.Found a few more complete sets.Got a few more to go to recycle.I've just been crushing the seals and bushings out with the press,its way faster.

6.jpg

Did a FEW more forks...

5.jpg

9 days till we're out...so we tossed a few bikes whole..

4.jpg

Nobody's is too happy...pushed about 20-30 motors off the back of the truck into the metal pile at the scrap yard this week. Real shame,most of them were accident bikes so the motors were fine.Some GSXR's,SV's,etc,etc,those hurt...

2.jpg

Finding more "artifacts"...I have no idea how coolant can be "organic"
dunno.gif
ahhh the companies that tried to market products to stop yer faceshield from foggin' up...all krap. Rally anti-fog paste. :laugh:

1.jpg

Don't know if you boyz remem...

fog o.jpg

with "Exofogonium3" WTF...
rofl.gif

9 days...no party for my Bro,the owner.We were gonna do a little party for him on the last day. The new wave of fuggin covid has crushed that idea. No fun,
Rubb.

3.jpg

Last of the forks... @GIXERHP need a pic of that fork brace you wanted.Found a few more complete sets.Got a few more to go to recycle.I've just been crushing the seals and bushings out with the press,its way faster.

View attachment 1629857

Did a FEW more forks...

View attachment 1629856

9 days till we're out...so we tossed a few bikes whole..

View attachment 1629855

Nobody's is too happy...pushed about 20-30 motors off the back of the truck into the metal pile at the scrap yard this week. Real shame,most of them were accident bikes so the motors were fine.Some GSXR's,SV's,etc,etc,those hurt...

View attachment 1629853

Finding more "artifacts"...I have no idea how coolant can be "organic" View attachment 1629858 ahhh the companies that tried to market products to stop yer faceshield from foggin' up...all krap. Rally anti-fog paste. :laugh:

View attachment 1629852

Don't know if you boyz remem...

View attachment 1629859
with "Exofogonium3" WTF...View attachment 1629860

9 days...no party for my Bro,the owner.We were gonna do a little party for him on the last day. The new wave of fuggin covid has crushed that idea. No fun,
Rubb.

View attachment 1629854
Shock, horror!!!
That is a early BUSA frame . . . and a vintage GSXR frame . . . WTF???

Ya should be ashamed of yerself Rubb . . SMH.

Shock, horror!!!
That is a early BUSA frame . . . and a vintage GSXR frame . . . WTF???

Ya should be ashamed of yerself Rubb . . SMH.
4000 sq ft of parts Kiwi...
Problems:
Where to store it? If it costs money to store,you have to sell enuff parts to cover the storage each month.
If it cant be stored in your back yard then you have travelling costs to and from and also your time.
Each part has to be photographed, cataloged, then advertised.Once everyone who needs a part locally gets what they need for their project/restoration the parts have to be sold around the world.Nobody wants to pay the high cost of shipping these days.
In those last photo's there were several motors.OK,there was a GSXR 750 motor. You advertise it.Potential buyers want to know the compression for starters. OK,that takes time.Then you start to haggle.Takes time again.Answering emails back and forth. A price is reached. Go pick up the motor and build a crate suitable for shipping.Time.Drop the crate off to a shipper.Time.Now if yer doing all this as a hobby or out of the kindness of your heart,fine. If yer trying to make a living at it...forget it.
People for the most part are fuggin cheap. They walk into the shop and because its not all shiny and feng shway like a big dealership all fancy with nice carpet and a shushi bar...they think they should pay 10 dollars for a part. We are renting space,paying so much a sq ft just like any business.Utilities,etc. You work in a shop Kiwi...you know its not free to get rid of tires,batteries,oil,etc. Everything costs money.
You buy a bike thats been in a collision,newer models aren't cheap. It sits there for months and months (even years) costing sq footage. Then you get a call,somebody is willing to buy the crankshaft. If you sell the crank,you make some money,but most of the rest of the motor becomes scrap. It also costs time and money to pull that crank.Now you can hire a punk kid to do the job,save some money right? WRONG.Todays "punk kid" wants 25 bucks an' hour. So when/if he shows up,and puts his fuggin' iphone down for more than 10 seconds you have to babysit him thru the extraction. As he goes for the crank he will destroy everything re-sellable in his path. You or I Kiwi could have that crank outa that complete bike in prolly 90 minutes.The kid will take all day and bust up and lose your tools while he's at it. Every tool in his hand becomes a hammer. Ratchet=hammer. Screwdriver=prybar. He will make a mess.He will actually cost you money.You actually need somebody who knows what they are doing.Send the kid after a part.The bolts have been in there for 20+ years.You and I will take a brass drift and give them a whack.Break the threads free.Then we'll pick up a 6 point socket on an' impact.Boom,got the part. The kid will strip 1 bolt,wont ask for help and fug up all the rest,walk away and leave you to do it. Over the years we have been giving unwanted and abandoned bikes for free. You go pick them up.How much of it has actual re-sale value? Last one I looked at was a Honda CBR600. I turned it down. It was a money loser.
Chinese parts. We hear it everyday. "I can get that part from so and ho's website for 20 bucks brand new."
There is no money in selling these parts,or working on these bikes.People want you to come pick-up their rolling turd (sometimes the wheels or brakes are siezed and they dont roll) that they have bought on bad advice from "the brother in-law who knows everything and turn it into a museum piece in 5 days and for fug all money. The amount of free labor my bro has has given over the years is astronomical and most of it without even a thankyou.People are clue less. They listen to people that dont know fug all and act the part of Mr.Know-it-all. "Well I could have done that job in 20 minutes" they tell them. Well fug-o, why didn't you re-build it for them? There's a reason he isn't sitting on a fortune after 33 years.
He was a nice,kind-hearted, honest guy.
Rubb.

Last edited:
4000 sq ft of parts Kiwi...
Problems:
Where to store it? If it costs money to store,you have to sell enuff parts to cover the storage each month.
If it cant be stored in your back yard then you have travelling costs to and from and also your time.
Each part has to be photographed, cataloged, then advertised.Once everyone who needs a part locally gets what they need for their project/restoration the parts have to be sold around the world.Nobody wants to pay the high cost of shipping these days.
In those last photo's there were several motors.OK,there was a GSXR 750 motor. You advertise it.Potential buyers want to know the compression for starters. OK,that takes time.Then you start to haggle.Takes time again.Answering emails back and forth. A price is reached. Go pick up the motor and build a crate suitable for shipping.Time.Drop the crate off to a shipper.Time.Now if yer doing all this as a hobby or out of the kindness of your heart,fine. If yer trying to make a living at it...forget it.
People for the most part are fuggin cheap. They walk into the shop and because its not all shiny and feng shway like a big dealership all fancy with nice carpet and a shushi bar...they think they should pay 10 dollars for a part. We are renting space,paying so much a sq ft just like any business.Utilities,etc. You work in a shop Kiwi...you know its not free to get rid of tires,batteries,oil,etc. Everything costs money.
You buy a bike thats been in a collision,newer models aren't cheap. It sits there for months and months (even years) costing sq footage. Then you get a call,somebody is willing to buy the crankshaft. If you sell the crank,you make some money,but most of the rest of the motor becomes scrap. It also costs time and money to pull that crank.Now you can hire a punk kid to do the job,save some money right? WRONG.Todays "punk kid" wants 25 bucks an' hour. So when/if he shows up,and puts his fuggin' iphone down for more than 10 seconds you have to babysit him thru the extraction. As he goes for the crank he will destroy everything re-sellable in his path. You or I Kiwi could have that crank outa that complete bike in prolly 90 minutes.The kid will take all day and bust up and lose your tools while he's at it. Every tool in his hand becomes a hammer. Ratchet=hammer. Screwdriver=prybar. He will make a mess.He will actually cost you money.You actually need somebody who knows what they are doing.Send the kid after a part.The bolts have been in there for 20+ years.You and I will take a brass drift and give them a whack.Break the threads free.Then we'll pick up a 6 point socket on an' impact.Boom,got the part. The kid will strip 1 bolt,wont ask for help and fug up all the rest,walk away and leave you to do it. Over the years we have been giving unwanted and abandoned bikes for free. You go pick them up.How much of it has actual re-sale value? Last one I looked at was a Honda CBR600. I turned it down. It was a money loser.
Chinese parts. We hear it everyday. "I can get that part from so and ho's website for 20 bucks brand new."
There is no money in selling these parts,or working on these bikes.People want you to come pick-up their rolling turd (sometimes the wheels or brakes are siezed and they dont roll) that they have bought on bad advice from "the brother in-law who knows everything and turn it into a museum piece in 5 days and for fug all money. The amount of free labor my bro has has given over the years is astronomical and most of it without even a thankyou.People are clue less. They listen to people that dont know fug all and act the part of Mr.Know-it-all. "Well I could have done that job in 20 minutes" they tell them. Well fug-o, why didn't you re-build it for them? There's a reason he isn't sitting on a fortune after 33 years.
He was a nice,kind-hearted, honest guy.
Rubb.
Like I said... you should be ashamed of yourself!

Sounds like you are over the whole thing.
I know exactly where you’re coming from.
Still... it’s sad...

Back