Parts Ready for Powder Coating

MN72Busa

Formerly known as "Zuki"
Donating Member
Registered
Well, Vic has generously offered the members of this board his powder coating services & thought I would take him up on his offer. Let me tell ya' that stripping these parts was no walk in the park. Start to finish was about 7-8 hours prep time including taking the parts off the bike.

1) Took parts off bike
2) Photographed and cataloged parts
3) Each part recieved 2 or 3 / 45 minute Aircraft stripper soaking
4) Parts were scrubbed with Wire brush, emery cloth, scotch-brite pad, aand than steel-wool
5) Parts were soaked in Brake cleaner for about an hour
6) Parts were soaked in soapy water
7) Parts rinsed in warm water & scrubbed down lightly again with emery cloth
8) Smoke several cigs / b.s. with Vic on the phone (heck of a smart guy)
9) Take a deep breath and realize this was alot more work than I thought it was going to be!

Heres some Pics of the Parts after I preped them. Will post pics of Vic's work when I get the parts back - Vic, if ya need some bigger pictures to inspect my work, let me know, I will email em to you. Otherwise Im gonna get ready to ship. Thanks again Vic, if ya need anything let me know.

www.thevmc.com Link no longer works

nope. I've heard of people getting them baked for powdercoating with them turning out just fine.

YOU missed a spot!
tounge.gif

Nice,they will look beautiful when done.
Couldn't you have bead blasted them instead of the steipper,then do the polishing?

Ihad most of those same parts done gloss black powder. I also purchased one of those belly pans made of aluminum with the lazer cut kanji. had all done for 200. I like the way the body work screws look on the orange. IMO the bike looks much better with no silver parts.

Ihad most of those same parts done gloss black powder. I also purchased one of those belly pans made of aluminum with the lazer cut kanji. had all done for 200. I like the way the body work screws look on the orange. IMO the bike looks much better with no silver parts.
yeah... we are silver haters...
smile.gif

Right John? Black on black.... every little thingy...

$200 sounds not that crazy after reading 7 hours paint removing saga..... Might be a little ovedone, but, hell, this is his parts and he want them perfect !!!!!

How much people voted in the poll? $40.00 ?
biggrin.gif

Anyway, free for now.....
smile.gif

smile.gif

Geeesh I was just kiddin on the missed a spot. You will like vic's approach to low temp powder coating with a stonger scratch resistent finish.:D

yeah... we are silver haters...
smile.gif

Right John? Black on black.... every little thingy...

$200 sounds not that crazy after reading 7 hours paint removing saga..... Might be a little ovedone, but, hell, this is his parts and he want them perfect !!!!!

How much people voted in the poll? $40.00 ?
biggrin.gif

Anyway, free for now.....
smile.gif
Yah, silver has it's place, but not on my bike
laugh.gif
As far as spending all that time prepping the parts, her's my theory on that. If I was Powercoating the Parts myself, I would have stoped after 6 hours of prepping...but these parts are going to Vic. And, I figgure if Vic is willing to help a guy out with powder coating, than the piece's should come to him in a way that allows him to focus on his Magic. And not taking up all his time cleaning my parts - honestly I think it would be almost rude to send Vic parts that arn't in this condition when he is offering his service's in this manner.

Raising Cane: did you get your parts prepped and powder coated for $200.00? I know here in Minnesota, to do all those parts it would be cost a heck of alot more than that.

Also, another reason for this post is to show some people not familiar with striping parts, just what they should look like when done. Everyone has a different Idea of what is acceptable for prepping. Really consider if your up to the task, it's not hard, but to do it right it is time consuming, and labor intensive, however the end product in my opinion is completely worth the effort. Thank's for everyone's input, and a new respect for all you people that Polish all your parts to a mirror finish!

smile.gif

Back