43t rear sprocket and other parts-

Shibumi

Donating Member
Registered
At the tender age of 13000 miles, my stock chain reached the end markers on the adjusters. So, ordered and just had installed the following:

DID ZVM2 X ring chain in Gold
Vortex front sprocket stock size (17)
Vortex Cat5 43t aluminum rear sprocket in Black (sexy)
Rear wheel bearings
Cush rubbers

Uh, you can tell a DEFINITE difference with the 43t rear sprocket!! I twisted it to test it in first at 3000, and the front came up easy as you please!! And I DON'T please, that ladies and gentleman was my first ever wheelie! Oh no, does that make me a squid??
ohsnap1.gif

Seriously, I expected a difference so I plan on exploring the new potential very carefully, better to find out when I expect it rather than say coming out of a corner at high RPM's...
wowold.gif

I had considered a 42 rear, but am now and forever running a 55 profile rear tire so that changes the ratios.

On a side note, I took this to my local dealership because I don't have a press to install the wheel bearings, and figured as long as I had it there I might as well have them put the rest on since it was all on the rear wheel basically, it couldn't take very long, right??

WRONG!! THREE hours labor at $80 an hour to do THIS?!? And I asked them up front, they said they did NOT charge flat rate per task, it would be actual time spent doing it. Is that a ridiculous amount of time for a professional with all the right tools to do these things, or am I way off base here? I kvetched about it a bit, and the Manager dropped it to 2.5 hours. Fair, or screwed??

Cat5.JPG

I only run 43 on street and will never go back! I noticd as soon as I drove outta my driveway!
beerchug.gif

i did the rear wheel bearings myself and it took me a little over an hour. i think your negotiated deal seems fair. now, the 1st one raises questioning.

If they did not have to do the front sprocket, I would say 1-1/2 hrs tops. Changing out the front involves removing fairing, moving water bottle, disconnecting linkage ect.... certainly you want them to take their time putting the plastic back on. Then they should test drive the bike. It adds up qwick!
beerchug.gif

Your dealership is like attorney's, they always pad their time. Just the nature of the beast. If they charge by the hour rather than flat rate, they should use time sheets where the mechanic clocks in on your job and clocks out when finished, then there is no arguments.

I think 2.5 hours is a fair shake. By the time the mechanic, picks up the work order, finds your bike, brings is in and places it on the lift, he has used up 15 minutes. I'm sure a well schooled mechanic could have had the job of installing chain kit and wheel bearings was or should have been done in 2 hrs pretty easily but you have to expect a little padding.

You'll be happy with the 43T gearing. I've run that combo for ages and found it to be about the best all around everyday gearing.

The adjusted time seems about right, it's the $80 p/h that hurts. That 43t will prove to be a great choice, lots more fun too.

Stock is 17/40. I have used 17/43 , 17/39 , and will be trying 17/42 before the gap. 17/39 is great for touring, but I want some acceleration back.

I had the same 43T Vortex sprocket installed and it jumped teeth. Had to be sent back to Vortex for replacement. Bad batch of sprockets I guess.

New sprocket is in but haven't installed yet.

I can't wait to get it out and let it run, this was just a ride home across town!

Feels like it has 20 more horsepower, just amazing how much difference the leverage increase provides!

Any math geniuses in the crowd? Compared to a stock geared bike with a 250 lb rider, how much % advantage do I have in acceleration with 43t rear at 170 lbs?
rock.gif

I can't wait to get it out and let it run, this was just a ride home across town!

Feels like it has 20 more horsepower, just amazing how much difference the leverage increase provides!

Any math geniuses in the crowd? Compared to a stock geared bike with a 250 lb rider, how much % advantage do I have in acceleration with 43t rear at 170 lbs?    
rock.gif
This might help with your calculations Shibumi, depending on what you are looking for.

Back