43t rear sprocket and other parts-

I can't wait to get it out and let it run, this was just a ride home across town!

Feels like it has 20 more horsepower, just amazing how much difference the leverage increase provides!

Any math geniuses in the crowd? Compared to a stock geared bike with a 250 lb rider, how much % advantage do I have in acceleration with 43t rear at 170 lbs?
rock.gif
This might help with your calculations Shibumi, depending on what you are looking for.
Ahh, speaking of math geniuses...
smile.gif

Actually I was thinking more like what percent advantage a 43t has in acceleration over a 40t (43/40, or 7.5% more leverage?), 670 lb bike & rider vs 750 lb (11.11% less mass to accelerate?).

Are there variables I'm missing, or is there an 18.61% advantage in acceleration when drag racing these two bike/rider?

170 lb rider with 43t
250 lb rider with 40t

rock.gif

rock.gif

If my memory serves me correctly it was around 500 rpm increase per tooth.

Example:

40/3000rpm (given speed)
41/3500rpm " "
42/4000rpm " "

r8

So... since throttle position equals RPM does this mean that the throttle becomes less sensitive  but outputs more torque at any given range?  So I will need to give it more thottle to move but that throttle will accelerate me faster?

Example:

40/3000rpm (given speed)
41/3500rpm " "
42/4000rpm " "

r8
Did the gear calc, shows:

75 MPH at 4000 RPM with 40t
75 MPH at 4300 RPM with 43t

More like 100 RPM per tooth in top gear.
smile.gif

Not too bad.

flamethrowingsmiley.gif
AM -->
Spike @ Mar. 23 2008 said:
1345538[/ATTACH] AM]
I can't wait to get it out and let it run, this was just a ride home across town!

Feels like it has 20 more horsepower, just amazing how much difference the leverage increase provides!

Any math geniuses in the crowd? Compared to a stock geared bike with a 250 lb rider, how much % advantage do I have in acceleration with 43t rear at 170 lbs?    
rock.gif
This might help with your calculations Shibumi, depending on what you are looking for.
Ahh, speaking of math geniuses...    
smile.gif

Actually I was thinking more like what percent advantage a 43t has in acceleration over a 40t (43/40, or 7.5% more leverage?), 670 lb bike & rider vs 750 lb (11.11% less mass to accelerate?).

Are there variables I'm missing, or is there an 18.61% advantage in acceleration when drag racing these two bike/rider?  

170 lb rider with 43t
250 lb rider with 40t

rock.gif
Not taking into consideration the coefficient of friction and drag I am thinking this:

Power = Mass (lbs.) x Acceleration (feet per minute) x square root {
(initial velocity squared (in feet per second squared)) +
2 x acceleration (feet per minute) x
(initial velocity + final velocity) / 2) x your time delta (number of seconds elapsed)
}

Something doesn't look right but I can't put my finger on it.

This should give you power in foot pounds per minute taking into consideration a constant acceleration. This is unrealistic for a motorcycle but the closest I can come up with off the top of my head.

Plugging in values for each rider's prospective weight should give you the difference in power produced over time.

I am trying to figure out how upping the teeth will play into this but I think that will need to take into consideration the new gearing ratios produced. I am not quite sure though.

Ok, out to mow the lawn. Enjoy!

flamethrowingsmiley.gif

rock.gif

Example:

40/3000rpm (given speed)
41/3500rpm  "         "
42/4000rpm  "         "

r8
Did the gear calc, shows:

75 MPH at 4000 RPM with 40t
75 MPH at 4300 RPM with 43t

More like 100 RPM per tooth in top gear.    
smile.gif

Not too bad.
do you have a speedohealer on there? when i changed from 40 to a vortex 42T I was off 18%

I run a 43 at the track - lets a guy run in a higher gear in turns.

Cant stand the higher RPMs on the street and I switch back to the 40.

To each his own!

Back