Any Salsa lovers here?

Ever since my Mom Died I just Go to the Store and Buy it.... Nothing, and I Mean Nothing compared to my Mom's Cooking. "God Bless Her Soul"
sad.gif
bummer.... what kind of food did your mom make? what were your favorites?

Food is the center piece of most families... where all the action occurs in our home, the kitchen...

Ever since my Mom Died I just Go to the Store and Buy it.... Nothing, and I Mean Nothing compared to my Mom's Cooking. "God Bless Her Soul"  
sad.gif
bummer.... what kind of food did your mom make?  what were your favorites?

Food is the center piece of most families... where all the action occurs in our home, the kitchen...
Enchilladas, Spaghetti, You name it she maid her own version. She had No Favorite. Mom Grew up Poor and Learned how to make a Meal out of Nothing. Sometimes that Nothing was Better than some People's Something. She Passed away Ten Years ago and I Tell you. I Miss my Mom, But I really Miss Her Cooking. I wish she would have Saved Her Recipies so that I could Teach the Wife
SHOCKED.gif

sad.gif
bummer.... what kind of food did your mom make? what were your favorites?

Enchilladas, Spaghetti, You name it she maid her own version. She had No Favorite. Mom Grew up Poor and Learned how to make a Meal out of Nothing. Sometimes that Nothing was Better than some People's Something. She Passed away Ten Years ago and I Tell you. I Miss my Mom, But I really Miss Her Cooking. I wish she would have Saved Her Recipies so that I could Teach the Wife
SHOCKED.gif
you could start working out the recipes... it could be kind of fun to figure out how and what she used...

Cooking on a budget means simple ingredients and that is the makings of good comfort food.. I bet you could get enough of a baseline recipe for just about anything to get pretty close... ONE BIG PROBLEM..... it is hard to put "Moms" love into the recipe.. you are going to have to wing that part and use your own..

Cooking for people that you love is a passion and it is nice when they let you know
smile.gif
THEN you pass it along to your kids
smile.gif

smile.gif

I wish she would have Saved Her Recipies so that I could Teach the Wife
SHOCKED.gif
For years, my sisters and I would tell Mom that she needs to write down her recipes... Well, this year for my anniversary, Mom surprised me with a 'recipe book' She put together all of her recipes as well as those from the 3 kids.

I need to start whipping up some of my favorites so my kids can enjoy them, too!

Gary, just use less jalapenos...
I could've eaten that stuff ten years ago....but it ain'tpretty when i try now.

I remember couple years ago, Pizza Hut with some guys.

Supreme and a meat lover's.....between the grease and bell peppers I went into the sweats and turned pale to the point the manager came out and offered to call EMS.

1/2hour to and hour and normally I am fine but during that time no one would want to offer me a quick end. Tears me up pretty bad.

Chi Chi's...now THAT was some salsa. Looks like a similar receipe?
So that story you were telling me on the phone the other day....All they really hadda do was stick a Jalapeno down yer throat!!!  
laugh.gif

I have alread started a recipe folder M/s word and I am saving all the ones here...
I got one from my mecican frend in California.

It's called chicken chalupa. This recipe will feed a small Army!
Ingr:

3-4 lbs of skinless/boneless chicken breast
1lb shredded jack cheese and 1lb of cheddar or 4 blend shredded cheese
2 lg. cans of cream of chicken soup
1 small 12-16 oz of sour cream
1-1/2 cups of milk
1 small can of red diced jalapenos chili's brand (the resturant work
good)
Flour tortillas (the kind you use for burritos)
1 can of chopped olives

mix everything in a large pot except 1/2 of both shredded cheese and the
tortillas.
heat on stove till everything mixes in good cheese should be melted and
soupy but not watery.
You can add more milk if needed.
Butter a large tin pan (I use one of the throw away tin ones that you
cook a med.size turkey in)

Tear the tortillas into large size triangle shape.
Now layer the bottom of the pan with tortillas and the sides.add some of
the heated mix,
and repeat by layering more tortillas. (like making a lasagna)
Keep repeating till all mix and tortillas are gone.
Add the rest of the cheese on top,cover with foil,bake in oven on350 deg.
for
45 minutes.
remove foil and continue to bake  till cheese is golden brown.

That's it
B.

Hey, any experts (maybe Projekt as our .org token?  
smile.gif
) shed any light on the Anejo tequilas they advertise at restaurants? Abuelo's has a nice page on the Anejo's advertising them as a fine, sipping tequila aged a year or more in oak casks and charge $9, 12, 20, and $40 a SHOT for them!! All hype to dupe clueless gringos, or is it worth it?  
rock.gif
Depends on your definition of "worth it" I guess. Seriously though, Tequila has several grades, theres blanco, oro (which is gold in color due to additives), reposado (rested) where its been stored for 2 months to a year, and Anejo (aged) stored for over a year. On the Anejo tequilas, you find you get a nice flavor and bouquet from the interaction with the wood from the barrel.

The only tequila I drink personally (unless im mixing it) is Cabo Wabo Anejo. VERY smooth tequila, and it smells like Sammy Hagar
beerchug.gif

As for the super high cost ones...well, sometimes it's nice to live a little. When Leigh and I were in Vegas last May, I was at the bar at bellagio (the one that overlooks the fountains) and saw on their drink list that they had a glass of scotch for 60 bucks. Since we were in vegas and all, and were celebrating our 5 yr anniversary, i said "fugget" and had myself a $60 glass of scotch. WORTH EVERY PENNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I have a bottle of it at the house - 25 yr old Macallan.

I guess i get away with the 'spensive alcohols because I don't drink a lot. I've had that bottle of Macallan since June of last year, and its probably still a lil over 3/4 full.

Gary, just use less jalapenos...
I could've eaten that stuff ten years ago....but it ain'tpretty when i try now.

I remember couple years ago, Pizza Hut with some guys.

Supreme and a meat lover's.....between the grease and bell peppers I went into the sweats and turned pale to the point the manager came out and offered to call EMS.

1/2hour to and hour and normally I am fine but during that time no one would want to offer me a quick end. Tears me up pretty bad.

Chi Chi's...now THAT was some salsa. Looks like a similar receipe?
So that story you were telling me on the phone the other day....All they really hadda do was stick a Jalapeno down yer throat!!!  
laugh.gif

I have alread started a recipe folder M/s word and I am saving all the ones here...
I got one from my mecican frend in California.

It's called chicken chalupa. This recipe will feed a small Army!
Ingr:

3-4 lbs of skinless/boneless chicken breast
1lb shredded jack cheese and 1lb of cheddar or 4 blend shredded cheese
2 lg. cans of cream of chicken soup
1 small 12-16 oz of sour cream
1-1/2 cups of milk
1 small can of red diced jalapenos chili's brand (the resturant work
good)
Flour tortillas (the kind you use for burritos)
1 can of chopped olives

mix everything in a large pot except 1/2 of both shredded cheese and the
tortillas.
heat on stove till everything mixes in good cheese should be melted and
soupy but not watery.
You can add more milk if needed.
Butter a large tin pan (I use one of the throw away tin ones that you
cook a med.size turkey in)

Tear the tortillas into large size triangle shape.
Now layer the bottom of the pan with tortillas and the sides.add some of
the heated mix,
and repeat by layering more tortillas. (like making a lasagna)
Keep repeating till all mix and tortillas are gone.
Add the rest of the cheese on top,cover with foil,bake in oven on350 deg.
for
45 minutes.
remove foil and continue to bake  till cheese is golden brown.

That's it
B.
Got a recipe for ya Bren. Will email it to ya later.
super.gif

I am not even going to ask how you would know
<div class="iF-Passage"><div class="QUOTEHEAD">Quote:[/Quote]<div class="QUOTE clearfix"><span class="quoteBegin"> </span>
VERY smooth tequila, and it smells like Sammy Hagar
beerchug.gif
[/quote]

You guys SUCK- I just had to head over to Abuelo's for a Tecate and some salsa, chips, and Queso Diablo...  

Hey, any experts (maybe Projekt as our .org token?  
smile.gif
) shed any light on the Anejo tequilas they advertise at restaurants? Abuelo's has a nice page on the Anejo's advertising them as a fine, sipping tequila aged a year or more in oak casks and charge $9, 12, 20, and $40 a SHOT for them!! All hype to dupe clueless gringos, or is it worth it?  
rock.gif
Añejo is derived from Año which means year.

People in America get ripped off on quality Tequila because they don't know any better than Jose Cuervo or other domestic, gag reflex inducing varieties.

In Mexico, $8 will buy you a liter bottle of HIGH QUALITY sipping Tequila. Cazadores recently has broken into the premium tequila market that has been dominated by Patron. You can pour it in a tumbler like quality Scotch or really good bourbon and sip it, inhaling the aroma without any negative sensations. This is a drink you do not pound back with salt and lime to dull the burn.

The critical factor when buying a quality tequila is to demand 100% Blue Agave (100/cien por ciento de Agave). This is the absolutely critical element involving fine Tequila. Everything else is a matter of personal style. You can get Añejo or Reposado which are variations in the ageing and production process. Some producers such as "Siete Aleguas" in Jalisco, down the street from the "Patron" company, import used white oak casks (barrels) from a famous whiskey producer in Tennessee. Take a guess at which one...

Overall though, you are wasting your money and being a fool by paying 8, 9, 10-12 or up to $40 per shot. That is something my dad would call "ver cara de pendejo" ("see the face of a jackass").

If you are in the border regions, travel across to MX and buy some domestic "Cazadores"( "hunters") for 80 pesos ($8USD) with the "Buck" on the cylindrical box or travel to Guadalajara on a plane to see the original Tequila producing regions around the city in the state of Jalisco. Go to a distillery and buy a few bottles for pennies on the dollar compared to the US cost.

It is such a scam in the US particularly at the "Club" or restaurant.

<div class="iF-Passage"><div class="QUOTEHEAD">Quote:[/Quote]<div class="QUOTE clearfix"><span class="quoteBegin"> </span>
Jose Cuervo or other domestic, gag reflex inducing varieties.[/quote]No kidding, I thought it was just me, the stuff tastes like "barf".. I had a few varieties that did not give that nasty bite in the throat but was unsure what the quality levels were, I have just been sticking with Patron... now we can adventure out
smile.gif

<div class="iF-Passage"><div class="QUOTEHEAD">Quote:
<div class="QUOTE clearfix"><span class="quoteBegin"> </span>
Jose Cuervo or other domestic, gag reflex inducing varieties.[/quote]No kidding, I thought it was just me, the stuff tastes like "barf"..  I had a few varieties that did not give that nasty bite in the throat but was unsure what the quality levels were,  I have just been sticking with Patron... now we can adventure out
smile.gif
[/quote]
Try to find some Cazadores. You will not regret the efforts to find it.

<div class="iF-Passage"><div class="QUOTEHEAD">Quote:
<div class="QUOTE clearfix"><span class="quoteBegin"> </span>
Jose Cuervo or other domestic, gag reflex inducing varieties.
No kidding, I thought it was just me, the stuff tastes like "barf"..  I had a few varieties that did not give that nasty bite in the throat but was unsure what the quality levels were,  I have just been sticking with Patron... now we can adventure out
smile.gif
[/quote]
Try to find some Cazadores. You will not regret the efforts to find it.[/quote]
My faves at the moment are Tres Generaciones and Cuervo Reserva De Familia. The latter is like Cognac. You'll be looking for a nice leather Lazy boy and a Cohiba with a glass of this stuff.
laugh.gif

24 hours... I made part of the batch w/extra peppers for right now and about 2/3 of them for the "aged" batch
smile.gif
learned that lesson a long time ago
smile.gif

smile.gif

So put it in fridge for an hour and a half? "aged"
rock.gif
age the rest of batch in frig. for 24 hrs?

So I make it w/ part xra peppers (cause I love it HOT) to eat NOW. The rest of prepared batch goes in frig for 1.5 hrs - 24hrs.

off to store right now
beerchug.gif

Back