Any Salsa lovers here?

Aquaman

Banned Permanently By MC Mustang
When I went and visited Steven (aka tufbusa) in Washington last summer, one of the jewels he taught me how to do, was make fresh chunky salsa. Now I dont know about you, but I just love salsa. Real Salsa that is!
I have made it about 8 times already since I got home from that great trip.
I in no way at all take any credit for this one! He gets it all, but I thought it was worth sharing! Once you have this stuff, you will never go back to jar stuff. I promise you.
Lets get started...

Ingredients:
15 garden fresh tomotoes (firm not mushy)
2 good size white onions
1 bushel of fresh Cilantro (found in vegtable section with all other ing.)
6-10 fresh jalapenos
salt/pepper/ (garlic powder if you like)

Hand dice all the tomotoes with a french knife. I do one at a time. They should look like this. (Do not use a food processor!)
pics197.jpg
Put all diced tomatoes in a 10" big bowl.
pics198.jpg
Now cut your onions in small pieces.
pics199.jpg
I like to use one of these little hand choppers for the onions and the jalapenos.
pics200.jpg
When you are done, put them in the bowl as well.
pics201.jpg
Here is what the Cilantro looks like.
pics202.jpg
You need to pull the leaves off only! No stems. You will only need 1/2-2/3's
of the bushel.
pics203.jpg
Now chop the Cilantro up nice and fine with your french knife and then add it to the rest of the bowl.
pics204.jpg
Next, take your Jalapenos and either cut them also by hand or use the chopper. Start with 4-6 if you like it mild. I like it a bit hotter. You can leave the seeds in if you like it hot too. Or just take them out.
pics205.jpg
Now you will need to tast it as you add the jalapenos to see just how hot you like it.
Add 1- 1-1/2 tablespoons of salt. Again, add it to taste! You dont want it salty!
Use a little pepper and garlic powder too if you want. This is how I do it. Steven did not use the garlic powder, but I like it.
Here is what the finished product will llok like. Serve with Tostito's scoops.
Enjoy!
If it gets a little watery, just scoop it out with a large spood.
IMG_6501.jpg

Nice work Brendan.
bowdown.gif

You're right about homemade being better. The wife makes a great salsa. Don't really go for the chunky style so she cuts the maters alot smaller. And lots of jalapeno's
beerchug.gif

i have a friend that makes the best salsa i have ever eaten but she wont give her recipe out to anyone.

I like to use Serrano peppers as well... Less heat? use less of the seeds of the peppers (some lime juice also picks up some flavor) your recipe is the same we used for a long time

We made salsa by the 5 gallon bucket for Big Surf with one difference, canned tomatoes... if you want to keep going on this tact... make your own chips now

Semi Home made chips: Sorry but no photos as I do not have any "corn" tortillas here today...

NEEDED ITEMS:
fresh "corn" tortillas and a deep fryer or deep frying pan and your choice of oils...

PREP:
I cut tortillas in to a six slice pie cut (three cuts on each pile of tortillas)

Heat the oil to the where it just starts to smoke (375-400 degrees) I now use my "turkey" cooker outside and the basket that came with it.. (turkey cooker also works terrific for lobster, crab, chicken wings, corn on the cob and large stews)

if you use a deep fry pan, keep at least an inch of oil in the pan, you do not want to have the oil "cool" too much when you add the chips.

COOKING:
drop in oil, turn them at about 1 minute and cook until they just start to color (you will notice the bubbles go away as the moisture leaves the chips, you can gauge "done" by this.. remove,drain and salt like fries..

you can moderate the cooking time from a mildly tender chip to one with lots of crunch.. Nothing better than that great salsa with fresh hot chips oh yea.....

The cilantro is what gives it the real flavor. I use pretty much the same recipe, just more kinds of peppers.

Guacamole chaser?

2 or 3 slightly over ripe avocados, garlic powder, and "Pace Picante" and some lime juice.

Core and mash the avacados, garlic powder to taste (or none) and about a 1/4 cup of pace picante..

Add about 2 tbl spoons of lime juice

The lime juice is added to keep the avocado from turning "black" when put away. The acid stops the oxidation.

Sounds like food for spring bash
smile.gif
brendanp better bring a sharp knife... 80-120 bike riders can eat a lot of salsa
woot.gif

We should have a section just to post recipes from members. Divide it into food groups.

Gee, feel like salsa today. Let's look at a recipe.
thumb_up.gif

Call it the oRg Diner.

r8

I agree..I got some good ones!  I'll try the lime juice and some diff. peppers next time. Thx

Yeah, that is the way my wife makes her salsa. She adds some chopped carrots and lime juice also.

I can eat damn near the whole bowl!!

Here is the one I use: modify of course to your own taste
smile.gif

6 ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped *blanch if you prefer, just dunk in boiling water for about 10 seconds, skin peels right off)
1/2 Jalepeno seeded diced
1/2 Serrano seeded diced
Both peppers are optional
1 purple onion, finely chopped (any onion will work but the purple looks better)
1 cucumber, peeled, seeded, chopped
1 sweet red bell pepper (or green) seeded and chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1-2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley (I prefer Cilantro)
2 Tbsp chopped fresh chives
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
2 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 teaspoons sugar
Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (omit for vegetarian option)
4 cups tomato juice

I use either Tabasco to bring the "heat" up or more peppers (peppers wont release heat for a day or so, be careful just like your salsa)

Combine the works, in a stainless bowl (never use aluminum for any tomato or high acid dish) and hit with a mixer to a consistency you like. I suggest you make this a day ahead as the flavors take time to come out..

Adjust the heat with the Tabasco before serving and serve chilled but not like super cold...

mmmmm....habenero peppers....

Whenever I make anything thats got any kind of heat to it, I wind up making 2 separate batches. I love super spicy and my wife cant stand it. Seems to be a division among my friends (and their spouses) on this as well, so it keeps everyone happy.

I use about the exact same recipe as the first one posted. it makes EXCELLENT salsa....

Coming from the resident .org Mexican decendant.... You are missing a few critical steps to "kick it up a notch".

1. Get a nice hardwood fire going in your outdoor grill...(or cheat with a gas stove)

2. Place the firm tomatoes (jitomates) on the grill.

3. Mind them until the skin starts to split and you smell the nice roasted aroma coming off them.

4. Do the same with the jalapeños, let the skin char so that it will slough off easily.

5. Add lemon juice to bring up the acidity so as to stimulate your taste buds.

6. Acquire some dry "Chile Pequin" and grind it in a mortar and pestal. Add to taste.

7. Never use black pepper out of your gringo pantry.

8. NEVER NEVER NEVER ever ever ever add sugar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back