R.O.T.D. contest winning chili

Mr Bogus

Trouble Makers Inc.
Donating Member
Registered
ok it is starting to cool off here and so about time for winter foods..

This chili won a cook-off by “stephenjpauls” the #66 bike at Black Hawk Farms Track day last weekend..… It was part of a fund raiser to help purchase air fence to protect the riders at the track..

This recipe has lots of room for mods and changes to suit your personal tastes…

For ingredients...
1.5 lbs steak (top sirloin)
1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 lb bacon
1.5 lbs ground beef
2 red peppers
2 green peppers
2 medium yellow onions
3 tablespoons fresh chopped garlic
3 cans of Bush's Chili beans
2 cans of crushed tomatoes
10 jalapenos
8 oz cheese cheddar cheese
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

To make, fire up your grill and put the lid on and close the vents to 50% or less open... you want very little heat. Put the steak, chicken and ground beef on the grill let it smoke there as long as you can without it drying out or burning.

Cut the bacon into very small pieces, (I try for ¼ in by 1 in strips), throw it into a pan and let it cook a bit (your not trying to get it crispy, just slightly browned). Drain most of the fat, I keep some for the flavor. Now chop up and throw in the fresh veggies... Onion, Garlic, Red peppers, Green peppers, Jalapenos. Let that cook until the onions start to get transparent. Now chop up your grilled meats and add them to the pot. I try to chop things up to 1/4” X 1/4” in size. Let everything simmer together for 30 min, then add beans, tomatoes and Worcestershire. Continue simmering for 2 hours stir often. Now taste, add garlic power, salt, black pepper, chili powder, and cayenne pepper to fit your taste. I add spices slowly, taste every 10 min and add a bit more until its just right. Once you have the balance of spices where you want it add the cheddar cheese. And let it cook for a last 15 min.

That is how I made the winning chili, I usually add double the jalapenos and 2 habanero, but find that is too spice for most.

Last edited:
Back