Homemade chili..wish me luck

TruWrecks

Banned
Tonight is my first attempt at chili from scratch. I have never tried making it before, but I tired of chili from a can. It's simmering right now. I smells really good. I have also tasted the mix after boiling it for a few minutes. It tastes better than it smells so far.

It contains:

8oz black beans
8oz red kidney beans
3 tbs of dark Chili powder
1 tbs of garlic and oregano
1 tsp fresh cut Basil
1 tsp fresh rosemary
1/2 lb of lean diced steak
1/3 green pepper
8oz diced tomatoes
1/2 medium yellow onion
2 tsp liquefied habenero
2 tbs ketup

It's making me hungry smelling it in the kitchen simmering. I just hope I didn't add too much of anything. I don't want it to concentrate down so strong that it ruins the flavor.

wow a real recipe? :laugh: chili for me is always a mix of what I got here.. all kinds of fun stuff you can add :) update on your opin on the recipe..

Oh and an eval the next day too... usually gets better a day later for me..

half cup of nibble corn...... so when you turn around and your butt is burning..... you can say....... OH ya... chili....:rofl:

recipe sounds good, keep us posted on how good it is.

I felt like cooking tonight and did a home made chicken pot pie from scratch. And yes it turned out good!

mm mm sounds good, can smell all the way here in AZ. I have a recipe that calls for beer, It was pretty good.

Update on the chili:

I changed the contents a bit before it's done simmering.

12oz black beans
12oz red kidney beans
3 tbsp of dark Chili powder
1 tbsp of garlic and oregano
1 tsp fresh cut Basil
1 tsp fresh rosemary
1/2 lb of lean diced steak
1/3 green pepper
8oz diced tomatoes
1/2 medium yellow onion
2 tbsp liquefied habenero
2 tbsp ketup
8oz of yellow corn (sounded good)
1 cup prego original speggeti sauce
2 cups water.

Bring to a boil for 5 minutes.
Simmer for two hours

It smells so good right now. I might need to add a bit more habanero to it.

Last edited:
it sounds great and now I am hungery... :-)
Posted via Mobile Device

I was going to comment that chili is very forgiving. You can always add a little here or there to fix anything that might have become too strong or spicey, or to improve on the taste as you go along.

When I make chili I never follow a recipe. I just start with the basics and go from there. Good luck and Bon Appetit........:beerchug:

Someone around here has some very hot peppers if you're looking to spice things up.

Let us know how it came out ...

I will have some hot peppers in the summer. Last year I grew habs, scotch bonnets and savinas. Trying to order some bhut jolokia seeds. Them things be nice and hot!
Posted via Mobile Device

The review:

I threw some shredded jack and cheddar on top of a bowl of Doug's Infamous Chili, and mmmmmmmmmmm. It was goooooood!!!!! The chili was followed up by a fresh slice of garlic buttered sourdough, and Henry Weinhard's Root Beer.

The chili might have had a bit too much chili powder. Next time I'll reduce the chili powder and increase the habanero each by a tsp.

My mouth is still tingling from the chili. My roommate also said it was really good. I think I would call my first chili recipe a success.

Enjoy.

:beerchug:

Speaking as a chef, you get 100%, and bonus points for using fresh herbs.

:beerchug:

cheers
ken

Yum-yum, chili is my favorite, I like it hot and spicy.
I usually make it in the crock pot and slow cook it for 8 to 10 hours.
There really is no wrong way of cooking chili according to your taste. Just put all the ingredients together and throw it in the slow cooker and let it cook or how ever you like to cook it. I like to throw in a can of beer instead of a cup of water, it gives it better taste.

The best cook ware i think i ever bought was a slow cooker.:thumbsup:

Back