Another tire thread ….....with a twist......whats in your mind shows on your tire.

BUBBA

Foghoon Leghoon
Donating Member
Registered
Okay, this is not about what type, size, brand or any of the other issues in tire threads.

This one is to let you see what can happen to your riding style after a get off.

I never expected to have this happen to me and even though I am embarrassed to do this, I think it might help anyone else who may have the same happen to them and to tell them I know how they feel.

The following pictures are of my original tires that came on the replacement bike I recently purchased after my low side accident which totaled my first ride, DOT.

Note about me before the accident.
I was getting very comfortable in the twisties of Socal, specifically the San Diego area and even though my confidence would be up or down from one time to the next, I always seem to do okay leaning over and getting off the bike on both sides.

The tires show that I have now become very one-sided on the confidence level of turns.
I think you can see for yourself which side I am not as comfortable with.

Note on the tires:
These tires only have 2700 miles on them and have never seen a twistie road EVER! This is all street riding, going to work daily only.

I really need to get more saddle time in the curves and build that confidence level up again.

Thanks for the ear, here are the pics
Bubba

IMG_9574.jpg

IMG_9575.jpg

Re: Another tire thread ….....with a twist......whats in your mind shows on your tire

It hasn't been that long since your get off Bubba. Throw your hat back in the ring....get back in the game and get engaged w/ a few guys that ride the twisties, but aren't dragging knee or riding above your comfort level and before you know it....you'll be back to where you were. Just going to take a 'lil time....but you do need someone to help push you a little bit.

Just sayin' my friend :agree:

Last edited:
Re: Another tire thread ….....with a twist......whats in your mind shows on your tire

It hasn't been that long since your get off Bubba. Throw your hat back in the ring....get in back in the game and get engaged w/ a few guys that ride the twisties, but aren't dragging knee or riding above your comfort level and before you now it....you'll be back to where you were. Just going to take a 'lil time....but you do need someone to help push you a little bit.

Just sayin' my friend :agree:

Absolutely correct!
I went out to SD this weekend and was surprisingly slow, but I will get better.
Thanks friend,
Bubba

Absolutely correct!
I went out to SD this weekend and was surprisingly slow, but I will get better.
Thanks friend,
Bubba

In your foregoing statement, Bubba, I can define your 'surprisingly slow' as 'intelligently cautious.'

Well done, yo.

I wonder when I'll see those tires next?

This is interesting for me to hear of your experiences. I experienced an off last July that took me out of the saddle for 4 months. I've probably ridden a total of 100 miles since then (weather, went back to school full time, etc.) I've put a few miles on a cruiser and my sons liter bike. Haven't had a chance to really get back into the whole 'take a trip on the twisties' thing. The first real opportunity may come up at the Eureka Springs Mng but I don't want to be the bum leg everyone has to drag around or wait on. I'm a little nervous about the whole trip thing as most of these guys ride like pro's (especially in comparison).

Most of the roads where I live are perpendicular/level and warming up on any kind of curves means at least an hour ride and some dedication to work back into the swing of things. Can you steer me through your experience, Bubba? I appreciate it and have a good 'un!

Just take your time bubba, you too jay, it will all come back. But dont force it. And Jay, you better show up, we have a sweeper that waits on everyone, and I am usually just in front of him. :laugh:

ahhh, brother James! You forget I was behind you and Ms. Julie a couple of years ago. Far enough behind, in fact, I didn't realize the exceptionally talented rider carving up those curves to the camp site was actually riding two up. MY BROTHER!!! I know better about that 'one in front of the sweeper' thing! :laugh: :thumbsup: :beerchug:

This is interesting for me to hear of your experiences. I experienced an off last July that took me out of the saddle for 4 months. I've probably ridden a total of 100 miles since then (weather, went back to school full time, etc.) I've put a few miles on a cruiser and my sons liter bike. Haven't had a chance to really get back into the whole 'take a trip on the twisties' thing. The first real opportunity may come up at the Eureka Springs Mng but I don't want to be the bum leg everyone has to drag around or wait on. I'm a little nervous about the whole trip thing as most of these guys ride like pro's (especially in comparison).

Most of the roads where I live are perpendicular/level and warming up on any kind of curves means at least an hour ride and some dedication to work back into the swing of things. Can you steer me through your experience, Bubba? I appreciate it and have a good 'un!

Jay,
I know exactly your feelings about being the "bum leg". I went to my favorite places to ride this weekend with my favorite people and learned much.

I learned that even though I was confident in street riding, I was not confident in the hard twisties and it showed very quickly. This manifested itself throughout the day and actually got worse before it got better.

I learned that I need to get back into Physical shape as well. I used to do 500 miles in a day and not feel too achy. But I am not in the old riding shape I used to be, and need to work on that.

I learned that confidence in oneself is not the only thing to affect riding the curves, you must trust the bike and all the components of it, this means knowing your bike and the equipment (tires, pressure, shock set-up) all these things will help build that level to which you ride. (these are things I am still working out myself).

I also learned the most important lesson of all:

The people you ride with are the most important support system you can employ in this time of getting back in the groove. We, as a motorcycle community, understand and most do what ever possible to promote safe and fun riding, no matter what or how you ride. There are very few that would think less of another biker just because of their level of riding is different.

I am thankful that the group I have chosen to ride with are among some of the best, not only in terms of riding, but they people I would want to be around without a bike.

I was never made to feel like I was holding them back and taking away from the ride, from them. This feeling was all mine and I was embarrassed and did not want to feel like the lame duck of the group. But they all supported me and brought me back to times when I was not the slowest guy and how I felt when I rode harder.

I think it helps if you remember the feeling of having some one else on the ride that is going through the same thing and the fact that you did not get upset about them riding slow, you support that person and try to make them feel better. You also know the importance of riding your own ride.

I hope this helps you, I know it helped me.

Great words, Bubba. Much blessing on you for sharing this wisdom. A good riding community is a great place to be. In the last two years, the area I live in has had it's share of catastrophe's with wreckless riders and the young adult population being reduced by same. I hope this doesn't sound indifferent but people have been selling off their sport bikes and riding bicycles (mothers and wives can have a much bigger influence than what they deserve)...except me. I've been very slowly trying to gather up the pieces to put mine back together. Working with a brother in FL for some plastics, have yet to see how this is going to turn out.

In the mean time, the getting back to shape thing is another issue. The ribs I broke are still a little tender and the ligaments and socket in my right shoulder have the capacity of a two month old, at least until I get back to doing some PT. And this freaking thing around my middle shore wasn't there before the accident! Dang it, I hate it when that happens!

Thanks again for your graciousness! I sincerely appreciate it and have a good 'un! :bowdown: :thumbsup: :beerchug:

Great thread.
I too allow everyone to ride at their own level, as do I.
It's no fun if someone crashes or is stressed because they feel they are not skilled enough.
There isn't one person in the world that was born knowing how to ride a motorcycle. (even Rossi)
We are all on our own learning curve, and I like that fact.
Thanks for posting this up, a lot of it needed to be said.

ahhh, brother James! You forget I was behind you and Ms. Julie a couple of years ago. Far enough behind, in fact, I didn't realize the exceptionally talented rider carving up those curves to the camp site was actually riding two up. MY BROTHER!!! I know better about that 'one in front of the sweeper' thing! :laugh: :thumbsup: :beerchug:

Yeah, but that was a free spirited ride back from dinner my brother, everyone knew where to go. Wouldnt leave you on ride brother.

Jay,
I know exactly your feelings about being the "bum leg". I went to my favorite places to ride this weekend with my favorite people and learned much.

I learned that even though I was confident in street riding, I was not confident in the hard twisties and it showed very quickly. This manifested itself throughout the day and actually got worse before it got better.

I learned that I need to get back into Physical shape as well. I used to do 500 miles in a day and not feel too achy. But I am not in the old riding shape I used to be, and need to work on that.

I learned that confidence in oneself is not the only thing to affect riding the curves, you must trust the bike and all the components of it, this means knowing your bike and the equipment (tires, pressure, shock set-up) all these things will help build that level to which you ride. (these are things I am still working out myself).

The people you ride with are the most important support system you can employ in this time of getting back in the groove. We, as a motorcycle community, understand and most do what ever possible to promote safe and fun riding, no matter what or how you ride. There are very few that would think less of another biker just because of their level of riding is different.

I am thankful that the group I have chosen to ride with are among some of the best, not only in terms of riding, but they people I would want to be around without a bike.

I was never made to feel like I was holding them back and taking away from the ride, from them. This feeling was all mine and I was embarrassed and did not want to feel like the lame duck of the group. But they all supported me and brought me back to times when I was not the slowest guy and how I felt when I rode harder.

I think it helps if you remember the feeling of having some one else on the ride that is going through the same thing and the fact that you did not get upset about them riding slow, you support that person and try to make them feel better. You also know the importance of riding your own ride.

Maybe its the maturity level of those on these bikes, maybe its the combination of the maturity level of those on these bikes and in this community. Whatever it is, no one gets left behind, no one is measured by the strips on their tires. And if someone asks for help, there are plenty of folks there to offer it up with enthusiasm. Bubba, if you ride safe and sane and get back in one piece, its always a good day, dont care about the strips, those will work themselves out bro. :beerchug:

Great thread.
I too allow everyone to ride at their own level, as do I.
It's no fun if someone crashes or is stressed because they feel they are not skilled enough.
There isn't one person in the world that was born knowing how to ride a motorcycle. (even Rossi)
We are all on our own learning curve, and I like that fact.
Thanks for posting this up, a lot of it needed to be said.

Thanks Mike, look forward to our riding some day.:beerchug:

Great words, Bubba. Much blessing on you for sharing this wisdom. A good riding community is a great place to be. In the last two years, the area I live in has had it's share of catastrophe's with wreckless riders and the young adult population being reduced by same. I hope this doesn't sound indifferent but people have been selling off their sport bikes and riding bicycles (mothers and wives can have a much bigger influence than what they deserve)...except me. I've been very slowly trying to gather up the pieces to put mine back together. Working with a brother in FL for some plastics, have yet to see how this is going to turn out.

In the mean time, the getting back to shape thing is another issue. The ribs I broke are still a little tender and the ligaments and socket in my right shoulder have the capacity of a two month old, at least until I get back to doing some PT. And this freaking thing around my middle shore wasn't there before the accident! Dang it, I hate it when that happens!

Thanks again for your graciousness! I sincerely appreciate it and have a good 'un! :bowdown: :thumbsup: :beerchug:

You are welcome, and I hope you have fun on the roads, soon.
Bubba

Jay,

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Glad to hear that you are getting back to hitting the twisties. Hopefully by the next time that I can make it to SoCal, you will be back to your good old self so we can hit the twisties together.

Okay, this is not about what type, size, brand or any of the other issues in tire threads.

This one is to let you see what can happen to your riding style after a get off.

I never expected to have this happen to me and even though I am embarrassed to do this, I think it might help anyone else who may have the same happen to them and to tell them I know how they feel.

The following pictures are of my original tires that came on the replacement bike I recently purchased after my low side accident which totaled my first ride, DOT.

Note about me before the accident.
I was getting very comfortable in the twisties of Socal, specifically the San Diego area and even though my confidence would be up or down from one time to the next, I always seem to do okay leaning over and getting off the bike on both sides.

The tires show that I have now become very one-sided on the confidence level of turns.
I think you can see for yourself which side I am not as comfortable with.

Note on the tires:
These tires only have 2700 miles on them and have never seen a twistie road EVER! This is all street riding, going to work daily only.

I really need to get more saddle time in the curves and build that confidence level up again.

Thanks for the ear, here are the pics
Bubba

Everyone has a strong and a weak side brada take your time enjoy the ride it will come in time...I find that the little michelin man and arrows are gone on my tires all the time thats ridding just off the edge the way I like it,but now I have a 240 but I still use it all hee hee!

Last edited:

BUBBA, Kudos for getting back in the saddle so fast.

A good dry track class will help the confidence issues. It will also tell you exactly what muscle groups need the most attention. If you are working on getting past a mental block the track is the perfect place to do it. Everyone there is thinking about similar goals. There are no oncoming cars, cell phone, etc. to deal with. A good track instructor can watch you and tell you exactly where you need to make changes to improve your skills.

BUBBA, Kudos for getting back in the saddle so fast.

A good dry track class will help the confidence issues. It will also tell you exactly what muscle groups need the most attention. If you are working on getting past a mental block the track is the perfect place to do it. Everyone there is thinking about similar goals. There are no oncoming cars, cell phone, etc. to deal with. A good track instructor can watch you and tell you exactly where you need to make changes to improve your skills.

Thanks Tru,
This is what I was taking about when I wrote about the support system of fellow riders.:thumbsup: I can't say enough about the people of this Org.:beerchug:
Bubba

Maybe its the maturity level of those on these bikes, maybe its the combination of the maturity level of those on these bikes and in this community. Whatever it is, no one gets left behind, no one is measured by the strips on their tires. And if someone asks for help, there are plenty of folks there to offer it up with enthusiasm. Bubba, if you ride safe and sane and get back in one piece, its always a good day, dont care about the strips, those will work themselves out bro. :beerchug:

Sorry I missed this, Thanks Bro,
Yes, maturity and the level of riding adds to understanding.
Thanks James, I would be pleased to ride with you someday.:beerchug:
Bubba

i second twotonevert's "you better be there"...no one is going to say or think a thing about how anyone rides as long as no one is trying to ride above their skill level and putting others in danger...i can just about guarantee that if you join us, ride your own ride, and take it one step at a time, you will be surprised how much progress you can make in one weekend and without ever pushing it too far...i have seen it happen many times!

thanks for starting this thread Bubba, i was off Lucy for several months while modding this winter and can tell the difference this Spring...i have spent quite a bit of time this past week trying to get some endurance and smoothness built back up and realize it is going to take some more before i am back to where i was last Fall...it is just going to take time in the saddle :beerchug:

Back