Shinko 005 review

nabusa

Registered
I decided to try the Shinko 005 tires since they are really cheap on ballzmotorsports. I did have CT2s on my bike and they are great but just was not completely confident with those tires. I have 2100 miles on the tires since I put them on (this Friday that just passed) and I absolutely love them. It rained on my way back home and the tires felt great. I haven't felt this confident in my bike since the first the bridgestone tires I had on when I first got the bike. Everyone kept telling me Shinko's are crap, you can't lean the bike, blah, blah, blah. In a straight line they hook with a nice bite, in turns I felt completely confident and in the rain I had no worries. For my skill level these tires are perfect and for the price I don't see my self getting another tire.

What kind of rider are you? Are you a weekend peg scraper or mostly a daily commuter?
how wild are your chicken strips LOL?
Posted via Mobile Device

Just sharing my opinion here, but in that price range I think a better tire can be had for similar coin...
STG.jpg

Paid $177 and I ride my bike to work 5 days a week which is mainly high way miles. On the weekends is when I take twisties. And I don't like Dunlop tires, on my cbr those tires would slip.

Dunlop tires slipping....I would need to see that. I have horrible body position in this shot and the tire is allowing me to almost scrape my frame slider. Seems like a decent tire to me.
Photo1-2.jpg

Paid $177 and I ride my bike to work 5 days a week which is mainly high way miles. On the weekends is when I take twisties. And I don't like Dunlop tires, on my cbr those tires would slip.

I don't race nor am I a pro. On the street the rear tire would slip on occasion. That's not hear say or someone's friend who told me the tire would do that. On my personal bike, while I was riding it would slip. Granted it was when I was a very very young rider and it could have been due to that but it happened so I will never buy a Dunlop again because of my own experience.

Which Dunlop tire and what bike? Any tire misapplied could allow for spool up on the rear. I have Dunlop Roadsmarts on my Busa now and would never speak bad of them if they spun up under my right hand twist. They allow me to drag knee when going easy through the Skyway, but would never survive in a hard session at Barber. Again, what tire and what bike did you spool up your Dunlops?

I don't race nor am I a pro. On the street the rear tire would slip on occasion. That's not hear say or someone's friend who told me the tire would do that. On my personal bike, while I was riding it would slip. Granted it was when I was a very very young rider and it could have been due to that but it happened so I will never buy a Dunlop again because of my own experience.

It was a CBR F3, had two different sets of Dunlops. I don't remember which ones they were, it was back in 2003.

It was a CBR F3, had two different sets of Dunlops. I don't remember which ones they were, it was back in 2003.

Was it a stretch job too like the Busa in your avatar? The further you stick that tire out the back the harder it will be to get anything to hook.

Tire development has developed as much since 2003 as bike technology if not more. You can't compare any tire made today with a tire from 7 years ago. You let me know the next time you see a MOTO GP or AMA Superbike rider sporting a set of Shinkos to the race track.

Was it a stretch job too like the Busa in your avatar? The further you stick that tire out the back the harder it will be to get anything to hook.

Tire development has developed as much since 2003 as bike technology if not more. You can't compare any tire made today with a tire from 7 years ago. You let me know the next time you see a MOTO GP or AMA Superbike rider sporting a set of Shinkos to the race track.

No the bike wasn't stretched or lowered. I know tire developments has changed since then. I also understand that there are Superbikes that race on Dunlop tires. All I stated is I do not like Dunlops due to my past experiences which makes it a personal preference for me. And since my bike is a street bike and not a superbike the Shinko is perfectly fine.

Here we go again.....

All the Shinko haters will come and tell you how to spend your money. they will make silly comparisons of you and your bike and how you should use what the pro racers use...

tire makers are just like bike manufacturers and car builders....they have to convince you that you need the new, more expensive models.

Not hating at all, just for similar money why buy a less proven tire. You own one of the most powerful motorcycles in the world and seek the least expensive tennis shoes you can find to shoe your steed? Just doesn't make sense to me when you are spending about the same for Shinko's or Dunlops. With that said, if a person has no confidence in the their tire, they'll be no good riding coming from that.

Here we go again.....

All the Shinko haters will come and tell you how to spend your money. they will make silly comparisons of you and your bike and how you should use what the pro racers use...

tire makers are just like bike manufacturers and car builders....they have to convince you that you need the new, more expensive models.

i hate shinks...i think there are way better tires....but if your skill level and riding style are equal to a shink and its cost then by all means run the shinks. thats my advise to most riders who come on here asking about them and wondering what tire. I myself use mich pilot powers. have since they came out and will as long as i can get them. for the same reason you now have a shink...i tried it and it was a match to my riding and i have stuck with it for 12 years or better now?

A word of caution to you though.....if you are going to go "carving the canyons" Stay within your means and realize that the shinks do not perform as well as other tires. it is proven on a couple different tests that they fade faster and stopping distance in longer etc. As always ride safe!!

Back