The Millionth Tire Thread

danath 34

Registered
Hey guys, I know there are a gazillion threads on which tire is best. I figured I would just ask away, though.

As soon as spring decides to show its head, I am going to get a fresh set of tires for my baby (08 blue/gold busa). I have rocked the stock BT015's for the past couple of sets, and they have worked well enough for me. However, I am very disappointed with the tire life. I am only getting 3500 miles. I am not racing (drag or track). No burnouts or wheelies. It is a daily driver. Yet, I do have the bad habbit of accelerating hard from stop lights. And occasionally when I am on the highway/freeway I let the bird fly a bit :laugh: .

Sometimes I get down in the twisties, so grip is important.

Is there a decent pair of tires out there that offers good life, and decent grip?

Thanks for the help, Org, I appreciate it.

Last edited:
You really oughta do a search. Recently there was a thread on some new Pirelli(?) coming out that looks good.

ok I will look for it.

Been doing some searching, and have been reading good things about avon storms, pilot roads, and pirrelli angels. Particularly about the avon's. Anyone know how well they can do in the twisties? I dont get down real hard, but from time to time, I do go on a nice aggressive energetic ride through the mountains.

But most of my riding is daily driver kind of stuff. All the wear I get is mostly the center of the tire. Both sets of BT015's I have run showed wires at around 3500 miles right down the center.

Maybe one of the dual compound tires would work well? Harder in the center for mileage and softer on the shoulders for twisties... I have read about the Dunlop Q2's, and have heard good things but I doubt they have much mileage. They are qualifiers, afterall. Are there any dual compound tires that give good mileage, yet still grip well when you want to get down?

Last edited:
3500 on stockers? Mine lasted me over 7200 miles and it still had some life in it. Just like you, no burnouts, no wheelies, no nothing.

Right now im using Pirelli Diablo Corsas right now and theyre great.

lol how did you manage to get 7200 on stock tires? Like I said, two pairs, back to back, only 3500 miles which made me :'(

Although when I am on the highway I tend to have too much fun with the throttle pulling hard into the triple digits. That is what a busa is for. Other than that, mostly just casual riding. I do pull a little too hard from stoplights though. But again, thats what a busa is for...

How many miles do you think you will get out of the Diablo Corsas?

Today we have a wide viriety of tires to choose from. Most are exceptionally good tires but each has a specific purpose by design. You can get heavy tires for big bikes and high mileage at the expense of traction or you can get really soft sticky tires with bubble gum grip at the expense of mileage. As well, you can choose something in the middle that would serve your purpose quite well. But,,,,,,,,,,,,,, you can't have both, high mileage and great grip. No matter what your buds may tell you, there is no such tire.

Your stock BTO 15 is actually a very good performance tire. The 15 has now been updated and replaced by the BTO 16 which is a dual compound tire with a slightly harder center which will last a bit longer than the 15 by a few hundred miles as well as improved side grip.

I personally will be going to a Bridgestone BTO 16 front to keep the front planted and a BT0 21 rear which is a dual compound sport/touring tire with good mileage and pretty dang sticky side grip. I have a couple friends who run this combo and it works great and you should get considerably better mileage without giving up much in the performance department. These two tires should wear out about the same time.

There are also other tires that would treat you well such as the Avon Storms, Pirelli Angels, Michelin Pilot Road 2's, Dunlop Roadsmarts, to name a few.

Anything you buy from the top four Dunlop, Bridgestone, Pirelli or Michelin will serve you well. It's up to you to decide what you expect from a tire?

:beerchug:

awesome. good info. Thanks, tufbusa.

I will consider that combination you are talking about.

Tonight when i get off work i will do some price hunting and see which appears to be the best bang for the buck.

Bridgestones will most likely be your best bang for the buck. I dearly love the Dunlop Qualifiers but the Stones are 50 bucks a set less and they are very good tires so, like most others, I spend my money where it stretches the most! :beerchug:

If you don't mind spending a few more bucks you can get the same combination in Dunlops with a Qualifier 2 front and a Roadsmart rear? Will serve the same purpose and you may be happier?

I have a set of Michelin Pilot Powers 120/190 in transit. $202 to my door on eBay.... I have a set of Shinko Ravens on my bike with about 200 miles. I didn't trust 'em.

Michelin is trying to get all the old PP's off the shelf to make room for their new Pilot Pures. You can buy them most anywhere pretty cheap now.

I don't blame you, I wouldn't run Shinkos either.

Angel > Storm... Give me a sec and ill show you the wear on my rear

that sounded weird

I have the Pilot Powers, seem good. Once got caught in a S.FL. storm and had to 'panic stop', really impressed me they didn't break loose. Not a knee dragger, so no help there

I ate through my Avon storm (rear) in 7800 miles. Here is my Angel so far:
IMG_0025.jpg

in this pic the guides (or whatever you call them) are 1/4 in deep.
IMG_0026.jpg
that tire has 8k on it right now. the only difference between my riding on the 2 tires, is that the storm was from spring to early summer and the angel is from fall to present. so there is a temp difference but the riding style has been about the same.

IMG_0025.jpg

IMG_0026.jpg

ok I will look for it.

Been doing some searching, and have been reading good things about avon storms, pilot roads, and pirrelli angels. Particularly about the avon's. Anyone know how well they can do in the twisties? I dont get down real hard, but from time to time, I do go on a nice aggressive energetic ride through the mountains.

But most of my riding is daily driver kind of stuff. All the wear I get is mostly the center of the tire. Both sets of BT015's I have run showed wires at around 3500 miles right down the center.

Maybe one of the dual compound tires would work well? Harder in the center for mileage and softer on the shoulders for twisties... I have read about the Dunlop Q2's, and have heard good things but I doubt they have much mileage. They are qualifiers, afterall. Are there any dual compound tires that give good mileage, yet still grip well when you want to get down?

Make sure you get the right size:whistle:

Busa 240 004.jpg

oh wow. I might want to angel then... Does it have decent enough grip to have some fun in the twisties?

I have the Angel's on my bike right now and love them. The only negative thing I have to say about them is they are a little slick when they are cold. They work really well when they get hot and stick pretty damn well! :thumbsup:

oh wow. I might want to angel then... Does it have decent enough grip to have some fun in the twisties?

let em warm up and they are good enough for anything you should be doing on the street.

I have also had the Avon Storms on my bike. I loved the way they performed and will be going back to them when I need my next set of tires.

Back