The Millionth Tire Thread

Bridgestones will most likely be your best bang for the buck. I dearly love the Dunlop Qualifiers but the Stones are 50 bucks a set less and they are very good tires so, like most others, I spend my money where it stretches the most! :beerchug:

If you don't mind spending a few more bucks you can get the same combination in Dunlops with a Qualifier 2 front and a Roadsmart rear? Will serve the same purpose and you may be happier?

I'am using the dunlop Q front and roadsmart rear with very good result's.

The new Dunlop Sportmax Q2's meet all your requirements. Can't think of anything better out there right now :thumbsup:

dunlop-sportmax-q2.jpg

awesome, thanks guys. I knew the org would come through!

So far I think it is between a few options.

1) Pirelli Angels
2) Avon Storms
3) Dunlop Q2 Front, Roadsmart Rear
4) BT016 Front, Bt021 Rear
5) Dunlop Q2 front and rear - how long are these expected to last? A buddy had the qualifiers on his bike, and they hardly lasted long at all. I assume these would last longer as they are dual compound, but will they last much longer?

hmmm... decisions decisions... I have only ever used Dunlop and Bridgestone tires, so I have absolutely no experience with Avon or Pirelli. But we will see. Hopefully I can make the decision soon.

Last edited:
Let me poke a little food for thought in here on tire choice.

Most of the discussion on this thread seems to be pointed toward touring tires. Touring tires are fine and many guys enjoy the long lasting high mileage these tires deliver. Avon Storms, Pirelli Angels, Michelin Pilot Road 2, etc are great tires but you must keep in mind they are touring tires. Limited traction whether you are straight up or leaned over, these tires have less traction than High Performance tires. Touring tires are by no means in the same catagory with performance tires such as Dunlop Qualifier 2, Bridgestone BTO16, Pirelli Corsa III etc.

Both are round and black. That's the only two characteristics they share. If you are a commuter and never ask anything of your bike other than getting you to work and home safely, a touring tire is by far the best bang for the buck. If you are an agressive rider, even if you are not a knee dragger, I suggest you consider a performance tire. A High performance tire will allow you to make mistakes that will put you on your head on a touring tire. It's extremely rare to find a street rider whom is capable of finding the limits of a tire without crashing. And may I remind you, one crash due to loss of traction will cost more than the $$ difference in many many sets of tires!

You are riding a heavy, high HP, high performance bike. The tires you choose is what ties this monster to the pavement. Put slippery shoes on her and you can no longer unleash the beast! Learning to brake late and throttle early will become a distant memory! :beerchug:

awesome, thanks guys. I knew the org would come through!

So far I think it is between a few options.

1) Pirelli Angels
2) Avon Storms
3) Dunlop Q2 Front, Roadsmart Rear
4) BT016 Front, Bt021 Rear
5) Dunlop Q2 front and rear - how long are these expected to last? A buddy had the qualifiers on his bike, and they hardly lasted long at all. I assume these would last longer as they are dual compound, but will they last much longer?

hmmm... decisions decisions... I have only ever used Dunlop and Bridgestone tires, so I have absolutely no experience with Avon or Pirelli. But we will see. Hopefully I can make the decision soon.

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/general-bike-related-topics/125635-4-ur-viewing-pleasure-q1-vs-q2-1600miles.html

Avon Storms are great (I've had two sets - commuting & the twisties)... although they have come out with a second generation of Storms (Storms 2 - I think), I'm going to try the Pirelli Angels.. should perform a little better than the Storms, and maybe longer life as well (I got 5200 miles out of the Storms).. tried the 021's, they didn't last but 4500 miles for me.

Any of you guys ever have any "hair raising" moments due being on a sport touring tire vs a hypersport?

Every time I fire up the busa it's hair raising. No problem with the roadsmart. It didn't feel any different than the quialifer on the rear for the type of riding I do.

ok, so I think I have almost made my decision.

I am either going to get Dunlop Q2's front and rear, or Dunlop 2 front with Roadsmart Rear.

For all you guys that have used this combination, it seems like this combination yields pretty good results. What type of riding can you do with that roadsmart rear? Can you get down in the twisties pretty well? (obviously no peg-scraping, though...)

*edit*

I just said screw it and ordered a set of Q2's front and rear. Lets see how they do. I hope they last much longer than my buddy's qualifiers did, those went quick. I am just going to learn to take off slower and brake earlier...

Last edited:
ok, so I think I have almost made my decision.

I am either going to get Dunlop Q2's front and rear, or Dunlop 2 front with Roadsmart Rear.

For all you guys that have used this combination, it seems like this combination yields pretty good results. What type of riding can you do with that roadsmart rear? Can you get down in the twisties pretty well? (obviously no peg-scraping, though...)

*edit*

I just said screw it and ordered a set of Q2's front and rear. Lets see how they do. I hope they last much longer than my buddy's qualifiers did, those went quick. I am just going to learn to take off slower and brake earlier...

:woot: Enjoy! You will not be disappointed :agree:

Mind if I ask where you ordered them from?

Let me poke a little food for thought in here on tire choice.

Most of the discussion on this thread seems to be pointed toward touring tires. Touring tires are fine and many guys enjoy the long lasting high mileage these tires deliver. Avon Storms, Pirelli Angels, Michelin Pilot Road 2, etc are great tires but you must keep in mind they are touring tires. Limited traction whether you are straight up or leaned over, these tires have less traction than High Performance tires. Touring tires are by no means in the same catagory with performance tires such as Dunlop Qualifier 2, Bridgestone BTO16, Pirelli Corsa III etc.

Both are round and black. That's the only two characteristics they share. If you are a commuter and never ask anything of your bike other than getting you to work and home safely, a touring tire is by far the best bang for the buck. If you are an agressive rider, even if you are not a knee dragger, I suggest you consider a performance tire. A High performance tire will allow you to make mistakes that will put you on your head on a touring tire. It's extremely rare to find a street rider whom is capable of finding the limits of a tire without crashing. And may I remind you, one crash due to loss of traction will cost more than the $$ difference in many many sets of tires!

You are riding a heavy, high HP, high performance bike. The tires you choose is what ties this monster to the pavement. Put slippery shoes on her and you can no longer unleash the beast! Learning to brake late and throttle early will become a distant memory! :beerchug:

That was some good insight, that right there made my mind up. I am going to go with a performance tire. And on another note, the stock tires on my brothers GenII got 9k miles on it before it started slipping.

:woot: Enjoy! You will not be disappointed :agree:

Mind if I ask where you ordered them from?

I got them from motorcycle-superstore.com
I was going to use tireexpress.com, because in most of the tires, they had cheaper prices. But they did not have the Q2's.

That was some good insight, that right there made my mind up. I am going to go with a performance tire. And on another note, the stock tires on my brothers GenII got 9k miles on it before it started slipping.

Yeah that may have been part of why I decided on the Q2's as well. I really wanted a tire that was going to last longer, and with the Q2 being dual compound, I am hoping they last a while. Like I said, I do occasionally get down in the twisties, so the peace of mind that the Q2's should bring me will be nice. And I also decided that I could probably get the performance and peace of mind out of the Q2, while still having decent mileage if I just broke my damn bad habbit of leaving stoplights like they are a drag tree :laugh:

I have high hopes for these tires. With all the great reviews everyone is giving them, they seem to be among the best on the market right now.

And on another note, have tires really gone down since the last time I bought tires? (about a year ago) Because it was 300$ for the set shipped to my door. It seemed that a set of qualifiers a year or two ago would have been damn near double that, and the Q2's are fairly new still right?? On motorcycle-superstore the Q2's were only like 20$ more than the qualifiers.

Hell, I even looked up the DOT knobbies I use on my dirtbike, and they were about 70$ each! When I bought them a couple years ago, they were like 120 each on a half off sale!

The MICHELIN PURES is where its at nice in the corners if ya know what i mean stickey

I have no first hand experience with the Michelin Pure. From what I understand, this tire is a replacement or upgrade of the PP 2ct which was an update of the original PP. The PP & PP 2ct. was an okay tire but was extremely sensitive to tire pressure and temperature. If you stayed on top of the air pressure, they performed pretty well. On track days, it seemed the Lion's share of crashes were on Michelins. Probably due in part to improper inflation. The Pures may have those same tendencies? We'll see?

Yeah that may have been part of why I decided on the Q2's as well. I really wanted a tire that was going to last longer, and with the Q2 being dual compound, I am hoping they last a while.

You certainly won't be disappointed in the performance of the Q2 tires. Your mileage will depend solely on your throttle hand.

A suggestion: If you intend to hit the twisties drop a little air. If you run 36 psi for instance, drop the cold pressure down a couple or three psi. Your tires will get hotter (more grip) and the contact patch will increase in size! However, don't forget to air them back up for your next days commute! :thumbsup:

I got them from motorcycle-superstore.com
I was going to use tireexpress.com, because in most of the tires, they had cheaper prices. But they did not have the Q2's.

I have high hopes for these tires. With all the great reviews everyone is giving them, they seem to be among the best on the market right now.

And on another note, have tires really gone down since the last time I bought tires? (about a year ago) Because it was 300$ for the set shipped to my door. It seemed that a set of qualifiers a year or two ago would have been damn near double that, and the Q2's are fairly new still right?? On motorcycle-superstore the Q2's were only like 20$ more than the qualifiers.

Hell, I even looked up the DOT knobbies I use on my dirtbike, and they were about 70$ each! When I bought them a couple years ago, they were like 120 each on a half off sale!

Dude! That is great price right there! Best I've heard on 'em yet :thumbsup:

Might just have to order me a 2nd set have on hand at that price.

Dude! That is great price right there! Best I've heard on 'em yet :thumbsup:

Might just have to order me a 2nd set have on hand at that price.

Yeah I was very happy with the price. That was another reason I went with the Q2's. After comparing the prices, it was only like 30 more dollars for the Q2 over a roadsmart. 300$ shipped isnt that bad, really.

You certainly won't be disappointed in the performance of the Q2 tires. Your mileage will depend solely on your throttle hand.

A suggestion: If you intend to hit the twisties drop a little air. If you run 36 psi for instance, drop the cold pressure down a couple or three psi. Your tires will get hotter (more grip) and the contact patch will increase in size! However, don't forget to air them back up for your next days commute! :thumbsup:

Yeah like I said I am going to really work on toning it down on take-offs. That busa power is just so addicting though!! :laugh:
And yeah I have been running with 42psi for max mileage, but will probably drop to around 34-36 if I decide on hittin the twisties.

I have a couple thousand miles on the Roadsmarts on the 'Busa right now .
I have been completely happy with them , I have never quite dragged my knee , but I ride with liter bike friends in twisties and have about 1/4" chicken strips on my rear tire .
That being said , I will likely try the Q2s next , just for comparisons sake .
I'm sure they have higher grip , but it's unlikely I push my bike to the point I will actually notice .

Back