Tire Question ?

DOYLE. Check your PM's or Multiple PM's (Sorry)
whistling.gif

Both matter but in reality, there are a million more variables than just tires that'll inspire confidence! Suspension and chassis geometry are also just as important.  

A great rider can ride a bike that most of us would think has the crappiest set of rubber and actually suprise the hell outta you. It's all about knowing the limits of traction available, using the slide to your advantages and controlling it in a manner that helps you improve your entry, apicies, and exit speeds.

but....

a good tire is VERY CONFIDENCE INSPIRING and help you to improve your skill. An example for me was yesterday at Willow Springs Big Track, I used the trackday/street hybrid BT002RS and found some major confidence in my turn-in ability, cornerspeed, etc. Previously, I used a set of Bridgestone racing slicks that had a slightly different geometry compared to the 002RS and I had ZERO confidence in my cornering ability. That is due to the way the tire changed my overall chassis geometry and gave it a different handling characteristic. My suggestion for you is to try: Dunlop Qualifiers, Michelin Pilot Powers or 2CT's, Brigestone BT002RS, Pirelli Corsas, or any other tire of an equivalent mentioned above. You will see your confidence shoot up dramatically.

HOWEVER, WITH THAT SAID, WORK ON YOUR SUSPENSION FIRST. You'll actually gain more than just swapping tires. Tires and suspension go hand in hand. If you're a heavier rider (>140 lbs), swap out them stock fork springs and go heavier. Adjust your preload to proper SAG measurements (for better twisties riding, go closer to race sag than Street, but not full on stiff like race sag), and dial in your compression/rebound settings. you wanna dial in comp/reb to when you compress and release the front end or shock, the bike should compress, but return to it's static height within one second. That's general rule of thumb.
Gtrpimp76..... I really need suspension help. My stock '06 is straight from the factory in suspension and I know there is more to be had from it.

I notice it's gotten a little better since I have gone from 210lbs to 175 since last fall (not by choice)., but the bike seems to handle a bit better.

You in SOCAL... I'm in El Cajon, let's hook up and get me set up. Then we'll pick up Scar and Lamb and a few others and take a spin.

Mark

Both matter but in reality, there are a million more variables than just tires that'll inspire confidence! Suspension and chassis geometry are also just as important.  

A great rider can ride a bike that most of us would think has the crappiest set of rubber and actually suprise the hell outta you. It's all about knowing the limits of traction available, using the slide to your advantages and controlling it in a manner that helps you improve your entry, apicies, and exit speeds.

but....

a good tire is VERY CONFIDENCE INSPIRING and help you to improve your skill. An example for me was yesterday at Willow Springs Big Track, I used the trackday/street hybrid BT002RS and found some major confidence in my turn-in ability, cornerspeed, etc. Previously, I used a set of Bridgestone racing slicks that had a slightly different geometry compared to the 002RS and I had ZERO confidence in my cornering ability. That is due to the way the tire changed my overall chassis geometry and gave it a different handling characteristic. My suggestion for you is to try: Dunlop Qualifiers, Michelin Pilot Powers or 2CT's, Brigestone BT002RS, Pirelli Corsas, or any other tire of an equivalent mentioned above. You will see your confidence shoot up dramatically.

HOWEVER, WITH THAT SAID, WORK ON YOUR SUSPENSION FIRST. You'll actually gain more than just swapping tires. Tires and suspension go hand in hand. If you're a heavier rider (>140 lbs), swap out them stock fork springs and go heavier. Adjust your preload to proper SAG measurements (for better twisties riding, go closer to race sag than Street, but not full on stiff like race sag), and dial in your compression/rebound settings. you wanna dial in comp/reb to when you compress and release the front end or shock, the bike should compress, but return to it's static height within one second. That's general rule of thumb.
Gtrpimp76..... I really need suspension help. My stock '06 is straight from the factory in suspension and I know there is more to be had from it.

I notice it's gotten a little better since I have gone from 210lbs to 175 since last fall (not by choice)., but the bike seems to handle a bit better.

You in SOCAL... I'm in El Cajon, let's hook up and get me set up. Then we'll pick up Scar and Lamb and a few others and take a spin.

Mark
I'm down with meetin' up, helping with SAG settings, etc. Did you respring when you were 210lbs? If you're still on stock springs, you'll still bottom out the useable fork travel, thus reducing front tire traction (b/c front tire is forced to compress more than usual) under hard braking, even if you have the preloaders cranked.

I definitely believe you that it WILL handle better now that you're lighter. But It'll be phenomenal with a proper spring rate.  
thumb_up.gif

Scar and Lamb are good ppl. Charles and I just did a TD with Lamb yesterday. GR8 rider!!

oopps!!! you did say "straight from the factory" suspension so you didn't respring. my bad!! You'll still be too heavy for the forks b/c the rate is more for a 140 lb 5 ft tall Japanese test rider/racer.
whistling.gif

Robert i think i mentioned some time ago your suspension needs to be cranked down alot when you sit on the bike you loose 3 inchs of travel before the suspension even has a chance to work when the guy at the track sets it up your gonna feel way better about the way the bike feels way more than any tires are going to give ya

Changing out those BT56 to something better won't hurt. I just put on Pirelli Diablo's and their an improvement. But never push yourself above what you feel comfortable with. Better that your riding buddys wait a bit for you than ending up crashed.

Ride safe

I just went to Dunlop Q's and I love them!!!!! I am actually starting to lean my bike with confidence now.

mannnn there's some good reading here fellas. i had my suspension set up as per "jinkster's" recommendation. it used to bounce around like a clown car, but now she rides like a porsche. i just purchase some new tires to improve confidence in the turns. i'm conservative rider who was just looking for a stabler machine and i found it with this combination.

thanks for the detailed write ups, i agree 100% with you guys.
beerchug.gif

thumb_up.gif
+1 to what everyone else has said. IMO, it comes down to suspension, tires, and practice. Once I got new tires and had my suspension tuned, I felt more confident. The bike just felt better. The BT056's were fine tires, but my new ones have a little different shape which helps me turn in quicker and hence, feel to perform better in the twisties. My bike is still running the stock suspension. I'm at 6'7", 220lbs. I know I need to get different springs and such but it is not going to happen right now. Having the suspension tuned will still result in better handling then not even if you need stiffer springs.

Bogus didn't mention that the reason I was riding the BMW was that Larry at Motorcycle Supply in Gateway AR (138 Curves west of Eureka Springs) tossed me the key to his pride and joy while he was installing a new set of Dunlop Qualifiers on my Busa. What a great experience dealing with Larry was. Not only did I get to ride his BMW, but the Dunlops are great and right now I'm thinking that is the only tire in the future for me
beerchug.gif
smile.gif

I hope the rear lasts me at least 1,000 miles
whistling.gif

DSC_0027.JPG

What I have found in my research is this...There are two things in life that there is no correct answer to. 1 Is whats the best tire, the other is whats the best oil to use.
guns.gif
guns.gif
firedevil.gif

guns.gif

What I have found in my research is this...There are two things in life that there is no correct answer to.  1 Is whats the best tire, the other is whats the best oil to use.
guns.gif

guns.gif

firedevil.gif
+1 absolutely.

...although, I will definitely attest to THE BEST HANDS DOWN TIRE awesome for trackday/twisties + everyday streetriding and commuting...

behold the Bridgestone BT-002RS!!!

I swear by that freakin tire. You guys want a tire that you can get super duper aggressive with, yet ride in everyday conditions, get the BT-002RS. Bridgestone got it RIGHT ON THE MONEY I GUARANTEE YOU (see Charlesbusa's Willow Springs trackday pics thread WSIR PICS, I did a complete writeup about those tires). The 002RS' are soooooo good that you CAN PODIUM or WIN a club race event, at novice pace or even expert level in some instances. And the cool thing is that you don't even need TIRE WARMERS to get the best out of that tire. Just ride hard, but not 100% pace for the first few laps or miles, and she's good to go. I've tried them all (well, almost) DOT race tires, slicks, Dunlop Q's, Michelin PP's and 2CT's, but none DO NOT come close to DOT RACE TIRE performance like the BT002RS' do. You will sacrafice mileage by a little but I promise you will NOT be dissappointed by this tire.  
thumb_up.gif

drools.gif

guns.gif

egads this thread is getting pricey.... Tires, springs, valves.. My count is around $2700 w/track day
laugh.gif
but yes, ideal..

Isnt it possible to just do a track day with a fresh set of tires (that will still be usable after) and someone setup the suspension?

Don, lets see a shot of that rear tire of yours.. I had a picture of it after 300 miles and you had barely scuffed it..

Definitely yes to the BT002RS. You can even ride to the track, do a full day's worth of trackriding, and ride back home on the same tire and have TONS to spare. I tried my hardest to get the 002's shagged and lay waste to them but they'll last at least another 3, maybe 4 TD's. Again, this was in 100+degree heat and they didnt get greasy at all.
cool.gif

egads this thread is getting pricey.... Tires, springs, valves.. My count is around $2700 w/track day
laugh.gif
  but yes, ideal..

Isnt it possible to just do a track day with a fresh set of tires (that will still be usable after) and someone setup the suspension?  

Don, lets see a shot of that rear tire of yours.. I had a picture of it after 300 miles and you had barely scuffed it..
The secret to less tire wear at the track is having your suspension dialed in. Proper suspension adjustments make a tire last 2 to 3 times longer at the track.

I can get 2 to 4 trackdays out of my tires. Depending on the track.

Just Got a Hook Up on a Set of Pirelli Diablos. Thanks DOYLE. You are the MAN
bowdown.gif

I am going to Track Day in August. Probably Won't Participate but I will Definetly get my Suspension Tuned UP !!!! Thanks Everyone for all the Input !!!! I Love the ORG !!!
thumb_up.gif

Just Got a Hook Up on a Set of Pirelli Diablos.  Thanks DOYLE.  You are the MAN  
bowdown.gif

I am going to Track Day in August. Probably Won't Participate but I will Definetly get my Suspension Tuned UP !!!!  Thanks Everyone for all the Input !!!! I Love the ORG !!!
thumb_up.gif
cool.gif
awesome im glad your gonna head on up to the track! your gonna like the suspension tune and for 20 bones its a smokin' deal
smile.gif

Just Got a Hook Up on a Set of Pirelli Diablos. Thanks DOYLE. You are the MAN
bowdown.gif

I am going to Track Day in August. Probably Won't Participate but I will Definetly get my Suspension Tuned UP !!!! Thanks Everyone for all the Input !!!! I Love the ORG !!!
thumb_up.gif
if you do not do the track day , your "fast" will be pizzed off.... DO THE TRACK DAY!
rofl.gif

Back