Mismatch tires

Cerberus

Donating Member
Registered
I am almost at the end of the life of my current rear BT56.  My front still has quit a bit of life left.  I am wanting to go with the Conti Road Attacks but can't afford a complete set.  So my question is, should I run a mismatch set of tires, a Conti Road Attack rear with a BT56 front?  I have always run a matched set before so I don't know if I should worry about it or not.  I'm wanting to make to a M'n'G on the 7th but am pretty sure my current bt56 won't make it safely.

I don't think anybody splits brands my friend, it can be done...with REAL conservative riding till you match em up....I believe two different brands is way better than a dangerous bald tire! Raydog

I ride different brands some times front and rear like right now I am running a PP rear and a M3 front and I have no problems at all corners just like when I run matched tires

As a rule I match them but have rode mis matched tires with no problems.
Just put another 56 on it and by the time it's gone the front will be too. Even if you put a better tire on the rear it'll still handle like the front one. I had Pirelli Corsa 3s on my last bike, still had a few miles in the front when the rear expired so I put a half tread Pilot Power I had laying around on it, no noticable change in handling at all. But there is a distinct difference in the feel of a PP and Corsa 3 front.
If you like the Contis, the only way your going to get the full effect of them is with the front on there too.
2cents.gif

I have rode with mismatched tires many times. As long as you have good tread life left on the tires and you have proper inflation there should be no problem.

I've done it several times
please.gif
.. and I'll be doing it again ..this week.
whistling.gif

I need a new front .. going for either a Avon Storm ST ..or Conti Road Attack .. the old rear being a Pirelli Diablo  which in time  shall be thee equivalent of said ..
kickass.gif
...New Front.

No problem until you're getting close to racer speed. Keep the front equal to or sticker than the rear.

I personally won't mis-match brands, but tires of the same brand maybe. I don't want one tire to stick while the other one is sliding off the road. I want the tires to be close to equal if the need arises. The stickier front is a must if you mix.

Try and avoid it if at all possible. Sure, it can be done, but why?

It would probably be best to have a front and rear tire with the same composition, tread design, sidewall rigidity, and sipes. This way you would have both tires with matched handling characteristics.

How about buying a new set of tires, and keeping the old front as a backup tire? This way you can choose any brand, or style you want. You can scrub them both in at the same time, and have a decent front laying around for the odd "emergency". If the front isn't that bad, you should have no time finding a buyer looking for a bargain. That way you could offset a little of the expense.

I'm mismatched right now. I wanted a stickier back tire for straights so I got a shinko usoft but kept my M3 frt. I figured the m3 would be better in twisties even if the back suks. I didnt feel the shinko frts would be a good twisty tire. My frt tire is more important in turns and my rear is more improtant in the 1/4

I wouldn't think mismatching tires being a big deal. Really depends on how hard you corner in the twists. That is where it will be the biggest factor. Average riding your not gonna be risking an accident. Since we all law abiding people there shouldn't be any issues.
laugh.gif

I've never done it,I've seen people do it,You have to do what you have to do. I wonder if someone has a take off bt56 that is still ok to send you cheap????Mabey on a stock set of wheels there selling.

NP and some times a mismatch will ride better depending on your style. Just keep them close in texture.

Back