thoughts on mismatched tires?

sessions

Registered
what are your thoughts of running two diffrent tires? I just got a new set about 2mo ago"continental road attacks/ 800 miles". I was on a ride and when I got home I relized I had a scew in the back:banghead:, so I pluged it "I dont feel to confident with a plug". anyways the front is still brandnew and I dont really want to pay $300.00 for two new tires that I just bought. the dealership is having a special on shinko 005 tires and I can get one installed for $115.00 im running a continental road attack on the front due to driving 100 miles a day back and forth to work. what are your thoughts of running mismatched tires? does it effect you handling? are the shinkos any good? thanks

You're not draggin' a knee being stretched,, I think you'll be okay! People will say don't switch up like that,,, but I would rather say to never run a plug on the Busa! Sure to make it from one point to the new tyre,,,, but, just I like peace of mind.

You're not draggin' a knee being stretched,, I think you'll be okay! People will say don't switch up like that,,, but I would rather say to never run a plug on the Busa! Sure to make it from one point to the new tyre,,,, but, just I like peace of mind.

No, but i do like to take curves not like some of the guys on here, but your average curvey and winding roads.

I'm running a Shinko on the rear and a stocker up front. No negatives to report.

Dude I run mismatch tires all the time at trackdays or on the street it is not that big of a deal unless you are racing. Also if you are running a Patch plugin the rear tire I would run that tire till cords show I have done it a couple of times instead of wasting money on a new rear tire. Patch plugs if installed properly are pretty solid you would not want to be making top in runs on them though but for average riding you should be golden.

I actually work in tire sales, and my gut reaction is don't do it and I will tell you why.

Back in the day, tires were round, black, and held air. It is not that way anymore. One thing to remember is that the technology that is involved in rubber compounding has come a long way, and from one tire to the next, the level of grip, cornering stability, wet traction, can change drastically. If a vehicle this capable was intended to have different brands on it....it would have come that way from Suzuki.

With that said....if you are going to do it.....BEEEEEEE CAREFUL! You need to test the bike significantly before you get on it and take off like hell. That last thing you want to do is forget you have mismatched tires and lowside because you lost grip or worse highside because the grip on the front and rear is unbalanced.

Just my 2 centz!

if you are running a Patch plugin the rear tire I would run that tire till cords show I have done it a couple of times instead of wasting money on a new rear tire.

I'm with you. I have burned my plug down when I last had one. When I get a new tyre, though, I always feel warm and cushy inside,, and want my teddy bear and a cup o hot coco or something! :laugh:

what are your thoughts of running two diffrent tires? I just got a new set about 2mo ago"continental road attacks/ 800 miles". I was on a ride and when I got home I relized I had a scew in the back:banghead:, so I pluged it "I dont feel to confident with a plug". anyways the front is still brandnew and I dont really want to pay $300.00 for two new tires that I just bought.

i had a similar situation recently and if i could have patched the tire i would have. i've no problem with casual riding with a good plug on the rear tire.

i put several thousand miles (many were harsh) on my patched Continental and when the cords started showing around 9-10K i changed it. i doubt if my road attacks will give me that life, but i'm loving them right now.

Issues like this, I feel, should be backed up with solid research. Of course, there will be anecdotal examples that people say "disprove" something....but....as Zewski says, matched tires are light years superior to separate brands. I would add that cruising, straight line use is significantly lower on the "need for matched tires" continuum than any type of cornering...especially track use. And you know what? I don't know where the research for that exists but it's out there somewhere.
Regarding plugs....one time I saw a video of a bike tire while in motion (slomo) and expansion/contraction/movement is amazing. I just don't feel comfortable riding around with a plug (short of "I'm on my way to the repair shop")....especially if the reason is money....in that case riding with different brands is light years a better idea!
OK, there's my two cents. Raydog

I don't see anything wrong with it...especially considering most people go through rear tires twice as fast as they do fronts.

You're only as good as your weakest tire. As it's been said, unless you're planning on really pushing the tires limitations then I don't think you'll have any problems. MHO

I had the same problem. On my last Busa, I just spent like 300 Bucks for two new Perelli's. LOVED them. After about a 150 miles, I picked up a HUGE friggin screw in the back tire. I was PISSED. I couldn't find anyone who would plug it. (for safety reasons) So I had to buy a new rear tire. Fortunately, the Perelli's were on sale and I got a good deal, but it still cost me like $120 installed. But as far as mixing brands, I don't see a problem with it. Depends on how you ride. Here in Jacksonville, we don't have many curves, so most of my wear is right down the middle.

I've ran mismatched tires and had no issues because of the mismatch. Went with several rear tires before settling on the Michelins. Of course the original Bridgestone front out lasted the first three rears. Had a short stint with a Shinko because of an emergency.

Never had an issue. I do try to run the same tires front and back.

If you are just commuting with the occasional ride in the twisties, you'll never know the difference in mismatched tires. It's when you begin to push the tires does it make a difference. I've run mismatched tires on lots of street applications and I couldn't tell the tires were mismatched. If you are going to the track where tire performance really makes a difference, I'd suggest a matched set!

If you are just commuting with the occasional ride in the twisties, you'll never know the difference in mismatched tires. It's when you begin to push the tires does it make a difference. I've run mismatched tires on lots of street applications and I couldn't tell the tires were mismatched. If you are going to the track where tire performance really makes a difference, I'd suggest a matched set!

+1:beerchug:

I know people that run mismatched tires with plugs in them, just about whatever they can get their hands on and have never had a problem.

I've miss matched tires before with no noticable problems. Might feel a little different at first but you get used to it pretty quick and go on.
I mismatch types of the same brand all the time.. Pilot Road 2 rear,, Pilot Power front. Works great and I get an even wear out rate instead of the second new rear, half wore out front, that feels way worse than a pair of mismatched new ones.
As for a plug, IDK. Would depend on the situation in general.

What a bunch of horsepoop!

''If Suzuki meant for it to come that way... blah blah blah." Give me a break.

Uh, on that note. Better not change brands of anything on the bike cause Suzuki wouldn't approve.

Anytime you hear someone state that they wouldn't recommend something because the manufacturer didn't include it on said vehicle usually doesn't know squat about what's being mentioned.

Sorry, it struck a nerve.

I actually work in tire sales, and my gut reaction is don't do it and I will tell you why.

Back in the day, tires were round, black, and held air. It is not that way anymore. One thing to remember is that the technology that is involved in rubber compounding has come a long way, and from one tire to the next, the level of grip, cornering stability, wet traction, can change drastically. If a vehicle this capable was intended to have different brands on it....it would have come that way from Suzuki.

With that said....if you are going to do it.....BEEEEEEE CAREFUL! You need to test the bike significantly before you get on it and take off like hell. That last thing you want to do is forget you have mismatched tires and lowside because you lost grip or worse highside because the grip on the front and rear is unbalanced.

Just my 2 centz!

Back