Sport Touring rubber

jcornwell101

Registered
I bought my 2017 a few months ago that had pilot power 5 tires on it. Once I wear them out I wanted to put on some sport touring rubber.
What have you guys run with good experiences? When I bought my 2015 Triumph Trophy it came with Dunlop road smart 3s that were over 5 years
old that were half worn. These tires were great and felt similar to the Q3 where turning was very nuetral. But, I replaced them due to age for the Pirelli GT2 and
those by far were the worst tires I have ever run. That front tire likes to follow every groove in the highway and just feels like its swaying all the time.
On my VFR I have run the Continental Road Attacks which were pretty good, Michelin PR2s, PR2 with PP2ct front tire, and Dunlop Q3s.
My favorite by far have been the Q3's over the michelins I have run in the past. The pilot power 5s feel nice, but not as good as the Q3s I had in the past.

I am wanting to stick with sport touring tires because I do not ride hard enough to warrant sport tires. Plus a lot of the time I tour around and take my son with me on longer rides. I feel like sport touring tires would handle everything I would throw at them even if I want to be spirited.

1. Dunlop Road Smart 4
2. Metzler Road Tech 01 SE
3. Bridgestone T32 or T31
4. Continental Road Attack 4

I think you mean Pilot (Road) 5, not Pilot Power 5. I don’t think there is a PP5. The Michelins are good tires but they have priced me out. I’m trying a Conti Road Attack on the front and so far I’m liking it just fine. I’m just waiting on mileage to see how long they’ll last.

I have ran the Michelin Road 2s ,3s ,4s and 5s. The 2s were really good, the 3s sucked, they liked to cup really bad, the 4s was really good and the 5s were really good, lasted ok and was plenty sticky for the type of riding I did. I have a friend that has the Road 6 tires and he likes them. He was a track day coach if that means anything to you.

Michelins (I'll have to look which ones) are my favs for touring: current mi = 11k
I might get 3-5k out of Q3s but that's a different type of riding
HTH
Let us know which Michelins.

I have never gotton more than 3k out of a back tire.

I currently have Pirelli Angel GT and they were OK, but close to being replaced, thought they would give a bit more miles, but no luck.

Maybe it is my riding style, on the street I use the rear brake a lot, never know when you hit a diesel stain, or loose gravel on the pavement and lose the front. Different story on the track, don't need a rear brake, but I no longer ride track.

Ah yes, the tire thread........10 answers and 10 different responses....

@jcornwell101 good luck on making the choice....I found I went on You Tube and looked at countless tire reviews then weighed everything 3 times then made a choice.....

It's a tough world out there making this kind of decision...

I had Michelin PR5s and they did well but wore funny...especially on the front....my brother who also runs them on his Beemer RT said the same for his bike.....he's going with Continentals, I'm going with Bridgestones...

No my bike came with PP5 that were put on by the dealership I bought it from before the sold the bike.

I am leaning towards Dunlop Roadsmart 4 because I read that they feel a lot like the Q series.
I also like bridgestone because that and the s21-22 have gotten a lot of good reviews.

I feel like the PR6 would feel similar to my powers, which also is a possibility too.

This is the thread that inspired me to try Michelin

Let us know which Michelins.
Copy that

This is the thread that inspired me to try Michelin

Me too.....

I am happy to report that, after a month on the stand, the Road 6's are holding up very well...

IMG_1529-M.jpg

I'm currently getting ready for a long trip next month. I will be running a new set of michelin road 5. We'll see how they go.

I have run michelin power before and I liked them, this will be my first set of road tires, but like mentioned before here, everyone have their favorite brand and will defend them. :lol:

Last edited:
I find that most sports touring tyres are a bit further towards touring than they are sport.

I’ve ran S22’s on my H2, Gen-2, Gen-3 and a few others. I absolutely love ‘em. Brilliant tyres. They are more towards the sports than touring, but they offer grip that more mileage based tyres just don’t.

Don’t buy them if mileage is a priority.
Buy them if you love corners, stability and feedback.

9AFE97D4-0DE8-41C3-BF43-A8D6B696F41D.jpeg

8A785180-088E-4946-8F0C-3228BDBEBFE1.jpeg

5C28918D-54F8-4D02-8A45-CA213C7F3A21.jpeg

I find that most sports touring tyres are a bit further towards touring than they are sport.

I’ve ran S22’s on my H2, Gen-2, Gen-3 and a few others. I absolutely love ‘em. Brilliant tyres. They are more towards the sports than touring, but they offer grip that more mileage based tyres just don’t.

Don’t buy them if mileage is a priority.
Buy them if you love corners, stability and feedback.

View attachment 1679793

View attachment 1679794

View attachment 1679795
Those are going on my crate later this week....

I liked the S21s I had before them and didn't care for the Michelins I have on it now....

I never had a bad experience with michelin tires they have always worked well for me. But, I was impressed by the feel of the Q3 on my VFR and road smart on my triumph trophy before I sold it. I am curious about the bridgestone because of all the reviews.

I never had a bad experience with michelin tires they have always worked well for me. But, I was impressed by the feel of the Q3 on my VFR and road smart on my triumph trophy before I sold it. I am curious about the bridgestone because of all the reviews.
The Hayabusa is hard on tires due to the weight and torque...what works on one bike doesn't necessarily work on the Hayabusa....

I wore the Michelins out pretty quickly and the front tire scalloped oddly for some reason even though I was very diligent in checking tire pressure...

I think you mean Pilot (Road) 5, not Pilot Power 5. I don’t think there is a PP5. The Michelins are good tires but they have priced me out. I’m trying a Conti Road Attack on the front and so far I’m liking it just fine. I’m just waiting on mileage to see how long they’ll last.
They are up to Pilot Road 6's now
And Dunlop is Road Smart 6 as well

Back