Q3 or Pilot Road 5

DougE

Registered
I have always used sport touring tires on the bikes I’ve had but I no longer ride as much during the season. Since I mostly do weekend riding I’d like some opinions on which tires to get between the Q3 or Pilot Road 5s.

I am mostly doing spirited riding 90% on straight roads in my area and occasionally go to some twisties. I’d like a tire that has good grip for the quick acceleration with a decent longevity.

I only ride in sunny weather so don’t really need too much wet traction.

Also open to other options for tires.

Last edited:
And Michelin is still making 2s 3s and 4s that all give great results. I’m getting a new PR2 for the front which gave me almost 8,000 miles.
I currently have the pilot power and have been satisfied with it. About 5,000 miles on it and center tread is down to the wear bar. Plenty of side tread left.

I’ve also had the pilot road 4s that I’ve liked. Just wanted to hear other opinions since I’m not putting that many miles in a season anymore.

I have always used sport touring tires on the bikes I’ve had but I no longer ride as much during the season. Since I mostly do weekend riding I’d like some opinions on which tires to get between the Q3 or Pilot Road 5s.

I am mostly doing spirited riding 90% on straight roads in my area and occasionally go to some twisties. I’d like a tire that has good grip for the quick acceleration with a decent longevity.

I only ride in sunny weather so don’t really need too much wet traction.

Also open to other options for tires.
After trying the q3 plus on my busa I fell in love with them and they stick like glue but like @fallenarch pointed out they do wear fast and since u seem to be doing a lot of straight line riding like me they will flatten out in the middle. I ran the roadsmart 3 on my bike and my buddies gixxer 750 at the same time and he loved the tires and they are long lasting but the profile is not as oval as the q3 but did stick pretty well and he pushed his pretty hard. I've been trying to find a set of roadsmart 2s but seem no longer available so I'm not sure what I'm gonna go with this time because I'm not sure I wanna spend over 400 on a set of q3s to need another set in 2 months or less even as much si live the way they stick

After trying the q3 plus on my busa I fell in love with them and they stick like glue but like @fallenarch pointed out they do wear fast and since u seem to be doing a lot of straight line riding like me they will flatten out in the middle. I ran the roadsmart 3 on my bike and my buddies gixxer 750 at the same time and he loved the tires and they are long lasting but the profile is not as oval as the q3 but did stick pretty well and he pushed his pretty hard. I've been trying to find a set of roadsmart 2s but seem no longer available so I'm not sure what I'm gonna go with this time because I'm not sure I wanna spend over 400 on a set of q3s to need another set in 2 months or less even as much si live the way they stick

The Michelins I’ve ordered thru Amazon actually came from Chaparral Motorsports.

The only reason to buy Q3s is to turn fast. Plain and simple. The tires might look to be similarly priced but remember the Q3s will last half as long as the Roads.

PS: love the Qs that's all I buy. But when I was riding a lot they got eaten in 2500 to 3000 miles on the rear.

Still haven't decided what type of rider I am.
Currently running: Mich Road 5 GT Rear, Road 5 front w/ ~6k mi
Love the Michelins for touring
Love the Q3+ for everything else
Always disappointed when they start squaring
and they always do prematurely

You might want to check this vid out from Bryan:

The Michelins I’ve ordered thru Amazon actually came from Chaparral Motorsports.

ChapMoto is just down the street!

Surprisingly they were cheaper thru Amazon than direct from Chaparral!

He and @GAmedic sucked me into the Michelin vortex.....I have PR5s and they work great...I do a mix of riding (minus the rain) and they hook up well in every situation I've put them in.

I had great results with Continental, although they don't seem to popular with the Hayabusa crowd.
Reasonable price too.

cheers
ken

I haven’t tried them back to back but they claim each ‘newer’ version is a better wet tire and gets slightly better mileage. I can see that the tread pattern on the ‘3’ doesn’t have much in common with their subsequent versions so they probably didn’t care for its service. I tried a front 3 and didn’t like the feel especially turning in on fast corners. Haven’t tried the higher numbered ones.

Back