Tire Question ?

Bosshound

Donating Member
Registered
I have a FULLY STOCK BUSA with Bridgestone BT56. Now I am not the Best Rider when it comes down to the Twisties. People that I Ride with have told me that If I Had Better Tires my Confidence Level would Improve, Thus I would be Better at the Twisties. I have seen other Stock BUSA'S with BT56 Scream around the Turns. So does it Really Matter or is it all about Skill.

skill and confidence.

scared keeps you safe. overconfidence gets you hurt. ride somewhere in between.

most folks around here(memphis area) drag race busas. when they see my chicken stripe(or lack of) theyre like "youre nuts". its all in what you like to do. dont let anybody tell you a busa wont corner. not like a gixer but itll turn

hmmm watched an number of guys on 08's with that tire drag knees already...

Turning skills are learned a bit at a time and I may have mentioned once that the "busa" probably is not the best bike to learn what the limits feel like..

A good rider can hop on to most bikes and in a few miles figure out what its limits are.. they learned this from smaller lighter bikes and then they carry over to the bigger heavier beasts..

There are a few here that will debate that fact but if you can get your mitts on a smaller more agile bike, you can build more confidence by learning to ride that bike closer to its limits.. The confidence builder is knowing what the bike feels like when it is near the edge.. (pretty expensive fail on the Busa)

Rayabusa0818 really proved this point in Eureka Springs.. He jumped on a 1100CC BMW dual sport (on knobbies) and was cruising that thing through the corners as quick as I ride the busa through them...

You could probably benefit more from a track day than a different tire I bet... (still working on getting track days myself)

hmmm  watched an number of guys on 08's with that tire drag knees already...

Turning skills are learned a bit at a time and I may have mentioned once that the "busa" probably is not the best bike to learn what the limits feel like..  

A good rider can hop on to most bikes and in a few miles figure out what its limits are.. they learned this from smaller lighter bikes and then they carry over to the bigger heavier beasts..  

There are a few here that will debate that fact but if you can get your mitts on a smaller more agile bike, you can build more confidence by learning to ride that bike closer to its limits.. The confidence builder is knowing what the bike feels like when it is near the edge.. (pretty expensive fail on the Busa)

Rayabusa0818 really proved this point in Eureka Springs..   He jumped on a 1100CC BMW dual sport (on knobbies) and was cruising that thing through the corners as quick as I ride the busa through them...

You could probably benefit more from a track day than a different tire I bet... (still working on getting track days myself)
Good Stuff BOGUS Dude !!!

Thanks
peace.gif

Both matter but in reality, there are a million more variables than just tires that'll inspire confidence! Suspension and chassis geometry are also just as important.

A great rider can ride a bike that most of us would think has the crappiest set of rubber and actually suprise the hell outta you. It's all about knowing the limits of traction available, using the slide to your advantages and controlling it in a manner that helps you improve your entry, apicies, and exit speeds.

but....

a good tire is VERY CONFIDENCE INSPIRING and help you to improve your skill. An example for me was yesterday at Willow Springs Big Track, I used the trackday/street hybrid BT002RS and found some major confidence in my turn-in ability, cornerspeed, etc. Previously, I used a set of Bridgestone racing slicks that had a slightly different geometry compared to the 002RS and I had ZERO confidence in my cornering ability. That is due to the way the tire changed my overall chassis geometry and gave it a different handling characteristic. My suggestion for you is to try: Dunlop Qualifiers, Michelin Pilot Powers or 2CT's, Brigestone BT002RS, Pirelli Corsas, or any other tire of an equivalent mentioned above. You will see your confidence shoot up dramatically.

HOWEVER, WITH THAT SAID, WORK ON YOUR SUSPENSION FIRST. You'll actually gain more than just swapping tires. Tires and suspension go hand in hand. If you're a heavier rider (>140 lbs), swap out them stock fork springs and go heavier. Adjust your preload to proper SAG measurements (for better twisties riding, go closer to race sag than Street, but not full on stiff like race sag), and dial in your compression/rebound settings. you wanna dial in comp/reb to when you compress and release the front end or shock, the bike should compress, but return to it's static height within one second. That's general rule of thumb.

Hi Robert, if you could just "show up" at Reno Fernley raceway on August 9th, the suspension guy is a genius in quick analysis re: dialing your bike in for you alone...for $20 bucks. You don't even have to ride the track! (but I hope you do). The stuff gtrpimp says is right on and the track guy will make it happen. Don't forget, if you choose to ride, the C group even had a guy on a Honda ST1300 with bags riding! Everybody takes care of one another. Doyle

where can I get heavier springs from? and would I need a matching rear?

Robert you should ride up to thunder hill with me on the 19th to get your suspension setup.

Hi Robert, if you could just "show up" at Reno Fernley raceway on August 9th, the suspension guy is a genius in quick analysis re: dialing your bike in for you alone...for $20 bucks. You don't even have to ride the track! (but I hope you do). The stuff gtrpimp says is right on and the track guy will make it happen. Don't forget, if you choose to ride, the C group even had a guy on a Honda ST1300 with bags riding! Everybody takes care of one another.         Doyle
Thanks DOYLE. In Order for me to Ride on the Track I would Need FULL Riding GEAR ? Riding Pant's and my Classic Mesh Joe Rocket Jacket would'nt do, Right ? If not then I can Just show up and get my Suspension Set up and Hang Around I Guess. I just don't wan't to be the Third Wheel
crazy.gif

Hi Robert, if you could just "show up" at Reno Fernley raceway on August 9th, the suspension guy is a genius in quick analysis re: dialing your bike in for you alone...for $20 bucks. You don't even have to ride the track! (but I hope you do). The stuff gtrpimp says is right on and the track guy will make it happen. Don't forget, if you choose to ride, the C group even had a guy on a Honda ST1300 with bags riding! Everybody takes care of one another.         Doyle
+1!!

(In Darth Vader voice)Yes. Join us...It is your DESTINY!

R/F is gonna be a hoot.

+1 on suspension set-up.

As for the tires part I'll just stick to bridgestone to keep it simple.  But its the same for every manufacturer.

The BT56 is a sport tire, but its what 10years old.
However the BT016 is also a sport tire, but just came out this year.  If you want to stay with a sport tire, I recommend substituting the old for the new.  Get the BT016s.

The BT002RS is their hybrid(trackday/street) tire.  Not necessarily sticker than the BT016, but is designed to handle more heat and its shape is suited to more agressive riding.

Most twisty roads will not get your sport tires overheated.  They're not twisty enough and street riders have more sense than to be at 100% throttle-100% brake-100% lean-and over and over again.

At a trackday that's how you ride.  On the gas or on the brakes or on the edge of the tire.  If you do that with BT016 sport tires they'll overheat in 4 to 6 laps.  If you do that with BT002RS, they can withstand the heat longer.  But even those will overheat once you are fast enough and then you have to think about running race tires, BT003, since they can handle the most heat.  Bridgestone race tires even come in 3 different compounds to compromise between handling heat with maximum grip a tire can provide.

So bottom line.  When you overheat your tire it gets greasy causing them to slip.  So you can go with 2 schools of thought;
Wait until you overheat the BT016 causing it to slip, then move up to BT002RS.
Or if you don't want to slide first(possibly crash), just move to the BT002RS so it never happens.

But you won't get as good of mileage out of BT002RS as the BT016.  There's always a compromise.  You have to know how you ride and select the tire that most suits your pace.  And if you're really fast, you just have to forget about mileage.  Because if you skimp on grip for more mileage, you may crash.

For other manufacturers, just substitute the name of their tires for bridgestones.  Its the same formula.

where can I get heavier springs from? and would I need a matching rear?

Robert you should ride up to thunder hill with me on the 19th to get your suspension setup.
Yes on the matching rear. Don't mix brands. Some ppl do it. But...each set of tires are designed to work with one another. a 120/70 dunlop front will actually have some nominal geometric differences compared to a 120/70 front Michelin PRC, then a Michelin Power race. These difference WILL offset your overall geometry and make the handling a bit of a headache, thus making it difficult to dial in a good suspension setting.

Fork springs could be ordered through Race Tech, Ohlins, etc....I have the race tech fork springs. They have a fork calculator so you can enter your bike and weight, and they'll give you the proper fork spring rate that you need to order, as well as the SKU #/Order # + the whole 9 yards.

I was at CYCLE GEAR the other day Getting FRESH OIL and COOLANT for my BUSA.  I Started SHAKING like an Alcohlic in a Liquor Store if you know what I mean. I Only Spent $80.00 this time, but WOW it Was definently a Close CALL
eek2.gif

Back