Tire thread #1002, race tires on the street

outlawbusa

1 wheel up aero testing
Donating Member
Registered
I shed the worn Q2's and donned Medium Michelin Power Race 55 series yesterday. We went for a 207 mile ride and I really enjoyed this tire. I don't expect much mileage out of them as the left side was peeling a bit already.

I wonder about what people say about running race tires on the street. I know these tires will never see anywhere close to optimal temps, however the way I see it is these tires are stickier sitting in my garage than a pair of 2CT's are warmed up so does it really matter?

depends on your riding style man, sounds like your an agressive rider and you got some good roads there, i'd stay with a more sticky tire. like me though i do a little knee dragging here and there but not enough where i need that type of tire. so i stick with my 2ct's and love them. i wish i had good enough roads aound here where i would need that type of tire.

Is rain an issue with race tires on the street? Also what about sidewall strength or stuff like that if you were to hit a pothole? I don't know, just asking..

I run Michelin Power One's. They're amazingly sticky, even when not quite up to optimal temp. You're right about the mileage, though. They don't last very long. I've rode in the rain on them once, and not intentionally. It's not fun. You can feel the tire grabbing less and less as the water comes.

Fortunately, I haven't smacked any potholes, but those will suck on any tire.

I guess it all depends on what you want to do. If you only want to ride on nice days, on good, twisty roads, and ride hard; go for it. The tires won't let you down. If you're going to e doing a lot of highway slabing, ride in inclement weather, or ride less aggressively, don't waste the money on a tire that isn't designed for the type of riding you do.

On a good day in decent conditions, if you can afford to run a race tire at 2X the cost and 1/2 the mileage of a good street tire (Q2), go for it.

Yeah I hear these are lousy in wet conditions.

A friend turned me onto a deal I could not turn down. I went out to order more tires last night but they were all gone. So much for that, I'll run em while I got em.

I shed the worn Q2's and donned Medium Michelin Power Race 55 series yesterday. We went for a 207 mile ride and I really enjoyed this tire. I don't expect much mileage out of them as the left side was peeling a bit already.

I wonder about what people say about running race tires on the street. I know these tires will never see anywhere close to optimal temps, however the way I see it is these tires are stickier sitting in my garage than a pair of 2CT's are warmed up so does it really matter?

Well your first problem is "Michelin's"! :poke:

I run race takeoffs almost exclussively on the streets. It's not because they do a better job than a premium set of performance street rubber such as the DUNLOP Q2's :-) It's because I have an endless supply of takeoffs.

I don't intentionally ride in the rain so they work wonderfully well. I wouldn't put a lot of trust in them on wet pavement but they are great for dry days!

Back