Buying used race tires....

bazooki

Registered
I was at Calabogie Raceway this past weekend for the first round of the Canadian Superbike Championship and there were a number of teams selling off their used race rubber for $100 per set. The common tire was Pirelli SuperCorsa and there were plenty to be had. Of course they are selling them because they are pretty worn and chewed up on the sides but with little wear in the middle where most of us do most of our riding. I was wondering if anybody here buys used race rubber and if they found that it is worthwhile for the Busa? I figured that this is real soft and sticky rubber and the Busa would probably chew through them in a hurry but at what cost.....$100 set plus mounting....is it cost effective and are there any downsides other than increased periods of having to change tires?

I run Power Race (Race takeoffs) at $100 / set mounted and balanced from Racer's Edge / Las Vegas.....fine daily rubber. The off-side will round out just fine......... :oldcool: Just pick carefully, and look for the less chewed up......they'll get you by.

I'm still maneuvering for a new set of HPX's before that ride to Reno......."YUMMAYYYY".... :super:

If you're using them for street use only and not too much canyon riding...they'll be perfect. But use them for track use and you're asking for trouble, unless you're level 1 or C group aka beginner's level, you won't outride those tires.

here's the kicker...Race tires require time (or tire warmers) to get them up to proper operating temps (usually around 165-180 degrees F, depending on the brand, compound, etc). Be very careful on early morning starts. They literally will feel like you're riding around on an ice rink. Also, run the pressure lower than what you're used to, 33-35 psi. never ride them at 43 or you'll NEVER get heat into them.

I run Power Race (Race takeoffs) at $100 / set mounted and balanced from Racer's Edge / Las Vegas.....fine daily rubber. The off-side will round out just fine......... :oldcool: Just pick carefully, and look for the less chewed up......they'll get you by.

I'm still maneuvering for a new set of HPX's before that ride to Reno......."YUMMAYYYY".... :super:

Dale Kieffer runs a good business there. Very knowledgible on his tires. I've bought many PRC tires from him. He even retuned my bike's geometry to work perfectly for those tires. although I've been using the Bridgestone BT003 lately, I still fully endorse and would do business with Racer's edge any day. And he's a super fast rider as well. Former WERA and AMA racer too.

Yes, Dale is fine peeps...he cuts my gaskets for all the projects...met the wifey too..... :super: I usually send everyone over for basic service and things of that nature....

I used to deal with him when Ben was his service writer, but he got swayed over to the dark side of the Force and went to work for Carter Powersports......:rofl:

MVC-006F.jpg

MVC-001F-8.jpg

MVC-001F.jpg

MVC-002F-1.jpg

MVC-003F-1.jpg

MVC-004F-1.jpg

Tires8.jpg

Tires6.jpg

Tires7.jpg

Take off's can be a good option. It's even better if you can mount them yourself or at least not have to pay to have them mounted and balanced.

I think GixerHP uses them...

Back