question on buying used 'busa

nychris

Registered
I was in an auto parts store yesterday and started talking to some guy in there. I told him that I was looking to buy a Hayabusa in the Spring. It turns out that his friend is selling one right now and he lives around the corner. I go to the guys house right away and he's got the 2001 blue/silver model and it looks to be in good condition. The bike has 10,000 miles on it though, isn't that pretty high? How long do these bikes last? Another thing, he says that when he bought the bike, there was a typo on the title. The miles were supposed to say 5200, but instead the title says 52,000, but the guy never got it fixed. Is that going to be a problem? He's desperate for money right now and I can probably get it for like $5000. What do you guys think?

Thanks

I have 45,000 on mine with no major problems, and it still goes like a bat out he!!.

I put 10,000 miles on mine in the first 8 months I had it. Good price if it is in good shape!!
biggrin.gif

what about the bad title?    will that cause me any problems?
Yes, it could be a problem. Check with your state DMV first.
Find a good mechanic to checkout the bike first.
Any good mechanic could tell how many miles aproximately. definately difference 5K or 52K. 5G for 52K miles a little high.
Pool out Instrument cluster surrounding, check for scratches, check when cluster was manufactured, check brake disks. From the factory brake bolts should be marked with paint. Check this paint and you can tell if rotors was replaced. huge difference 5k or 52k.
Title is important for resale. Also check when title was issued.

!0,000 miles is'ent alot of miles for a 2001...in fact it's low miles and I would be more concerned with with the condition of the bike in that it sounds like it may have sat for prolonged periods with no use at all...(not good for cycles to sit)...Fluids,tires,sprocket&chain and any records of maintance he might have would be good to look over...5K sounds like a good price if the bike is good to go...you can check nada.com to price out the bike and as far as the miles and title go I can't tell ya but someone will be along soon enough with more info.

Welcome and good luck
smile.gif
Oh yea, blue/silver is the fastest so ya can't go wrong there
biggrin.gif

Vic_E55_2001, your right dude, they could be scamming me. They said that it was a typo on the title, but the person they bought it from was too lazy to get it fixed.

How much should this bike go for? I know I'm probably rushing into this too fast, the smart thing to do would be to probably wait until the Spring (my original plan) since I live in NY and its getting cold now. I'd hate to have a new 'busa in my garage for 5 months and not be able to ride it!!

Every Busa in good condition cost that much.
Real condition could be hidden tho.
slow down, find someone who could evaluate real condition and call DMV. Do not buy if title not fixable.Seller begs he needs money. Sad. It is not YOUR problem. You have to protect your interest. Busa could be expensive to fix. After all new engine is about 4G. Bearings, brakes, chain, sprockets, etc... You could be spending more then new bike cost.

thanks guys, I'll probably back away from this one....it doesn't sound right to me and winter is right around the corner.

I think you're right that it doesn't sound right. I'd tell the guy to get the #####n bike inspected, get the title fixed, then give me a ring and THEN, perhaps I'll give him what he's asking. It really wouldn't be uncommon to find an 01 with a sh#tload of miles on it.

I smell bullsh#t. Good call on your part to back away...might even want to run away.
thumbs-up.gif

Go with your gut instinct. If it doesn't feel right to you, it isn't.
You've got lots of time to look for your bike. Slow down and the right deal will show itself to you.
smile.gif

It did for me and usually the only luck I get is bad.
biggrin.gif

Miles are not the problem. Bought my 05 brand new in July 05 and have 11K miles on it already. Sounds to me like you should pass on this one, sounds like BS. The busa would probably be a bike you would have for a long time as it's not exactly a starter bike, and it may be better to pay a little more for a bike that has no problems in the title area.

Back