A few questions about group riding………need some advice

PUT YOUR SLOWEST RIDER UP FRONT! THAT WAY NO ONE GETS HURT TRYING TO KEEP UP! It really sucks waiting for a tow truck to pull you friends bike up the cliff. nuf said. have a safe ride.:rulez:
Steve

I beg to differ. Putting slowest(more inexperienced up front) is a bad thing. It's a lot easier for an experienced rider to check his mirrors. Slower rider in back can do learn from what he see's(leaning etc...). Less pressure in back also. TELL your RIDING mates the :rulez: ...If the person in front of you is pulling away,don't feel the need to chase him down. If your unsure..... DON'T DO IT! ! ! Riding does improve as you learn your surroundings and maintain confidence. Knowing whats up ahead is always a plus. You'll learn and improve over time.

As many stated before. Don't ride above your means. Your life may depend on it. Keep plenty of space as if an accident should happen you have room to react.

P.S Watch out for Gravel! :laugh:

You will quickly learn who you are comfortable riding next to and who you want to have stay away from you. It is ok to wave another person to get ahead of you if you feel they are crowding you or following too closely. Or you may be behind someone that is hard on the brakes and you prefer more of a gradual slowdown when its time for the brakes.

Some people you need to be on your toes when you ride with them because they are fast accelerators and hard breakers. Other people are relaxed and smooth, you will have to figure out what makes you comfortable on that day.

You can always change your position in the riding group, don't feel like you have to stay in the same slot for the entire ride. Everyone would rather you be comfortable when in their group.

When I ride with a new group I usually stay in the back so I can see how others ride and learn who it is I need to watch out for when I am out having fun with other riders.

You will quickly learn who you are comfortable riding next to and who you want to have stay away from you. ...

Although I haven't been on any group rides on the street, the above comment reminds me of the BRCII class that I attended in 2006. I and one other rider were returning from long "breaks", 13 years for me, 10 years for him. Right outta the gate, this guy looked completely uncomfortable on the bike (ya know, the wee Nighthawks in the MSF stables). He never looked comfortable or in control all day. So much so, that if he was in front of me, I would lay way back and if he was behind me, I would run ahead. I kept an eye on him the whole day. In fact at lunch time I mentioned to my lady that I was concerned about this guy.

Long story short. The guy failed the class. Why? Because he crashed by crossing it up during the test in the countersteering exercise. Pushed the bike down and left it over the bars, caught the ground with his helmets chin bar (thank heavens he had a full face helmet!).

Moral of the story: Trust your instincts when riding with others. Observe and analyze and you'll get a good idea of who to keep at a distance and who can handle themselves smartly on a bike.

Best of luck!

Bubba,

Let me tell you about a recent experience I had during at my first sport bike group ride.
But I feel the need to confess and tell all a little about myself.
I 56 years years old and way to fat, I can't do much about my age but I really want to loose the excess weight and I'm working on that.
I use to have a '04 HD Fatboy and went on group rides with other cruisers and it was ok, all the people were great but the riding was somewhat comatose. My heart was in sport bikes.

I sold the Harley about a year ago and bought a new 08 Busa.

It was a totally different experience and it terrified me. The bike was so responsive and the power was crazy.
After a year on this bike I have started to scratch the possiblities it offers and I want to learn how to improve my technical skill and enjoy myself.

Ok back to the group ride, 200MPH was on the ride and other people from the oRg sorry guys I cant remember your board names. Riding with these guys was a thrilling experince seeing them go though corners, picking the line, everyone seemed so smooth. I was struggling to keep up and I should have been more honest with myself about this situation. We rode about 125 miles and I was exhausted, my arms hurt, my hands ached, seems like I just forgot everything I every learned about riding and was just worried about keeping up and not getting left behind.

I left the ride early and headed home. Later then evening 200MPH PM'd me on the board and thanked me for coming out on the ride. I told him at that time I was stressed out about the ride and at the time I blamed the new roads and meeting new people. But after doing some soul searching it all came down to me.

So go on that ride remember to relax if you find yourself punching it out on straights to catch up to the group then you need to go back to your comfort level and enjoy the ride. Your only protecting yourself and the people close to you.

200MPH has my respect, a very good rider, he could have just shrugged me off as a newb rider but he takes a genuine interest in promoting your skills. And he offered to help me (god knows I need it) I hope to take him up on his offer soon.

My confession
:please:

Ride your ability...if they lose you in the twisties, let them go. Make sure lane sharing is legal in your state. Group riding can be fun but also dangerous. Be scanning ahead, left, right, and in rearview mirrors...as well as listen for high rev exhaust. Never assume. You might get someone who decides to rocket past you. Keep your line unless you are sure no one else is in the path you want to go. Be careful and wary of all riders until you get to know their riding style and demeanor. Be safe and have fun!

Bubba,

Let me tell you about a recent experience I had during at my first sport bike group ride.
But I feel the need to confess and tell all a little about myself.
I 56 years years old and way to fat, I can't do much about my age but I really want to loose the excess weight and I'm working on that.
I use to have a '04 HD Fatboy and went on group rides with other cruisers and it was ok, all the people were great but the riding was somewhat comatose. My heart was in sport bikes.

I sold the Harley about a year ago and bought a new 08 Busa.

It was a totally different experience and it terrified me. The bike was so responsive and the power was crazy.
After a year on this bike I have started to scratch the possiblities it offers and I want to learn how to improve my technical skill and enjoy myself.

Ok back to the group ride, 200MPH was on the ride and other people from the oRg sorry guys I cant remember your board names. Riding with these guys was a thrilling experince seeing them go though corners, picking the line, everyone seemed so smooth. I was struggling to keep up and I should have been more honest with myself about this situation. We rode about 125 miles and I was exhausted, my arms hurt, my hands ached, seems like I just forgot everything I every learned about riding and was just worried about keeping up and not getting left behind.

I left the ride early and headed home. Later then evening 200MPH PM'd me on the board and thanked me for coming out on the ride. I told him at that time I was stressed out about the ride and at the time I blamed the new roads and meeting new people. But after doing some soul searching it all came down to me.

So go on that ride remember to relax if you find yourself punching it out on straights to catch up to the group then you need to go back to your comfort level and enjoy the ride. Your only protecting yourself and the people close to you.

200MPH has my respect, a very good rider, he could have just shrugged me off as a newb rider but he takes a genuine interest in promoting your skills. And he offered to help me (god knows I need it) I hope to take him up on his offer soon.

My confession
:please:

Hi TechBiker!

I am sorry to hear you were stressed when you left the ride on Sunday. Michael (MPH 200) and I would be happy to ride with you again (at a pace you find comfortable) ANY time you'd like.

We always encourage riders to ride in their own comfort zone - and I can promise that you will NEVER be left behind on a group ride.

Richard - I was hanging behind you to try to keep you from feeling pressured to run a faster pace. I didn't want you to feel like I was pressuring you to speed up. These roads are very twisty & can be quite intimidating. The Busa is a different beast in the twisties & takes some time to learn how she handles. I thought you did a great job. We were in constant communication through out the ride w/ our Scala system so she knew where everyone was & to slow the pace when necessary. Lisa & I would be happy to work w/ you one on one anytime you would like so you will feel comfortable. Remember this is for fun - stress relief, we have enough stress in our everyday lives.

When Lisa first started riding about 7 years ago we went on a group ride. She was in way over her head for her skill level. One of the group took her to the side & they had a ride at a pace she was comfortable with. We spent the next year working together to raise her skill & comfort level, then went back to that group for another ride. She did great & had a very enjoyable time. Her skill level has grown over time & now she leads rides & does trackdays. We established our own group here in Austin when we moved based on the same ideals of our Dallas group - Safety 1st & no one left behind.

http://www.cedarparksbr.com/

Michael

Last edited:
If you go on the ride, ride to your abilities, not theirs. If they leave you behind, they're not a group to ride with anyways. A good group will find out who they're weakest riders are, and help them out with some pointers and what not. When you get there, find a couple of riders to talk to like you did here and see if they can be a mentour for you on the ride. Good luck, have fun, and be careful.

I think this is GREAT advice. In fact, there is a lot of really good advice in this thread. Good luck, relax and go have an awesome "1st group ride"! :beerchug:

PS: We expect a full report!

I think this is GREAT advice. In fact, there is a lot of really good advice in this thread. Good luck, relax and go have an awesome "1st group ride"! :beerchug:

PS: We expect a full report!

I agree as well and I am sure the fellows will take good care with me.
Full report is the:rulez: I understand (with lots of pics too).
Thanks all
Bubba

Back