Wet and cold weather riding gear …………what do you use?

BUBBA

Foghoon Leghoon
Donating Member
Registered
Okay guys and gals, I would like to hear your opinions on rain gear and what type you use. I have been riding in the rain the past two days and I really do not have good rain gear. Mostly because we rarely need it here AND I am a cheapskate – You could not pull a needle out of my a$$ with a John Deere.

I used to use a large black trash bag and smaller ones for my feet, but they clash with my color scheme :laugh:and I think it is time to invest in some good wet weather riding gear.
What I have now is old and leaks through the Zippers. I don’t have anything to cover my shoes either, so when I get to work I have to change them and put them someplace warm to dry for the day.

I would greatly appreciate your input on this and would be interested to hear how much wet weather riding you do in a year. I would also like to know about cold weather riding, I go to the mountains a few time during the year and it can get a little frosty sometimes in the winter.

Your advice and opinions mean much to me,
Thanks in advance,
Bubba

So this is not a totally useless thread, here is a pic of what I used today, and I got totally soaked.

Yes the pants are from my smoking days (10 yrs ago) and only cost half a lung.
The gloves are Rockets and are not waterproof at all. The Fila jacket is large and bulky and the zipper leaks.

IMG_1550.jpg

http://www.britishmotorcyclegear.com/mens-ezeon-pants.asp
I wear these on my Harley and the Busa. They are not cheap (I did not pay this much) but they work very well. On my Harley a couple of years ago we were gone for 9 days in the rain andwind with temps around 40 degrees the entire trip. Did not get cold or wet.
I couple this with a Scorpion Hat Trick jacket that has 2 different liners that can come out depending on the weather and temp.

Hope this helps.

BMW makes some fantastic cold/wet riding gear. I'd recommend a look at those, Bubba. Seriously, even if you have to do a search on 'new enough' or something to not have to buy 'brand new' and save yourself some pennies.

Your safety and comfort is at the top of my priority list. :beerchug:

I just use Joe rocket ballistic pants and a textile jacket. It seems to work great, but its not 100% waterproof. I get a little damp through the jacket but it works great. I dont wanna look like a BMW rider :p

Joe_Rocket_Ballistic_7.0_Pants_Black_detail.jpg

51%2BhSb52k4L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I use Firstgear symptatex gear (does really well) and Oxtar/TCX Matrix boots.. and Gerbings heated liner and gloves. Better to be "warm and wet" than "cold and wet".

What I use.
Old 2 peice rain suit think teknic (maybe). Pro's easy to pack.. Con's still get wet, if I go into the slightest tuck water runs down my back into the pants, also it's like wearing a gaint condom. I roast if it's the least bit warm.
AGV aeromesh - Has become my warm weather to fall jacket. The "liner" does a good job of keeping the top dry, and the jacket still gives a sense of protection. Cons - gotta couple it with something for the legs. If it's raining when I'm headed out I grab the pants from the 2 peice. And in all honesty since I got the jacket I haven't used the rainsuit jacket. Still have the issue of if I go into a tuck getting wet britches.
Cool/cold riding - IMO this varies by rider, personally I ride till we start getting ice on the roads then the bikes go into the garage and stay there. But I use a basic "vented" leather jacket, either without the liner like currently (temp yesterday morning was 46deg) or when it gets chilly zip the liner in. One I'm currently using is a cheap one from Jafrum's. Someone "borrowed" my good jacket so they could go racing.
Gloves - It's funny I got an old pair of lockhart's that just refuse to die. They keep my hands warm, have padding, and I can't ever recall them getting soaked through. I keep thinking of replacing them just cause they have to be at least 10+ years old but it's like that trusty pair of jeans.
Feet - I hope someone else can offer some help. I just go with the 2 pairs of shoes myself.

Oh and amount of wet weather/ cold weather riding. If I'm not picking up my son I ride. Until the ice starts then I park the bikes, I used to ride year round before he was born.

If you can afford it, I am told the Goretex stuff works great and keeps you from sweating like a pig. I have old cheap rainsuits in the $50 price range. Work good enough. They also work by making regular winter gear warmer when you need it.

Thanks to everyone for the information, it looks like there are quite a few options. I guess I gotta get my cheap self down to the store and start shopping.
Bubba

Tour Master makes a great set of rain gear. I got jacket and pants for about $75. They zip together to prevent creeping up. All of the zippers have a double fold flap to keep water out. I have worn them over my regular riding gear and everything stayed dry. I used that gear in 5 days of straight rain. The only thing that got wet was my gloves and my boots started to leak.

Back