A few questions about group riding………need some advice

PUT YOUR SLOWEST RIDER UP FRONT! THAT WAY NO ONE GETS HURT TRYING TO KEEP UP! It really sucks waiting for a tow truck to pull you friends bike up the cliff. nuf said. have a safe ride.:rulez:
Steve

yeah the problem i have always had with riding with a group is that they all seem to want to ride a LOT faster than I do. And I have never once had anyone wait for me. I dont mind that, but tell me in advance that you're gonna ride wide open and let me decide if i want to go along or not. Most of the time, i get left in the first 10 minutes or so then just go off and do my own thing.

bubba I missed this earlier, sorry about that. Whenever we have a group ride we try to gage the experience level of the riders and then ride within a comfort zone. To me the most important thing about a group ride is everyone coming home safely. Hopefully everyone has a great time but I will put that second to anything that puts another rider at risk. It would also be good for you to know at least one or two other riders so you have an idea of how the group rides. I have been on very diciplined rides where the group stays in a good formation and I have been on group rides where the group sreads out and meets up at the next intersection. Both are fun but very different.

I would take the BRC offered by the MSF as someone else mentioned. We don't cover group rides but you will learn a lot. If you have any questions hit me up.

Cheers
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks SS I do appreciate the input and will look up the local BRC.
Ride safe, are you attending the Bash?
Bubba

I've been on a few rides, only one with more than 10 bikes, and I didn't like that one. I've learned that I can usually tell what kind of ride it's going to be before we ever leave. I'll admit the first group ride I went on I was way over my head !! About 9 bikes, all 600's, and a few 750's. The guy's were good riders, and wanted you to know it. Passing each other in turns, on roads where there were tons of walkers, and bikers (bicycles), on a road with nothing but blind turns. I bailed out after 20 minutes. When I told them I was out they said "the Busa don't do to well in turns, does it" ? I just said, "not with me, and not like this". I did feel a little embarassed, but not as much as I would running someone over, or hitting a tree.
Went riding with people from here, and everybody was more than helpfull with riding tips. I remember riding with Jessup (Eric) and he really helped a couple of us with the tight twisty stuff, and even though he could have went through those roads double what we were doing, he never made you feel like you were holding him up, or boring him. And that's the kind of people you want to ride with !! The best ride I think I've been on was with members from here... LCB, Jessup, Busafett, and Busasweety (him, and her), all very good people.

Let us know how it goes. I'm sure you will learn something, and you can pass that on to us !! Have fun !!

Last edited:
we are leaving for the bash wednesday morning but will not get there until Thursday. You going?
Posted via Mobile Device

thats one of the main reasons im sad im gonna miss tyhe bash this year. I know i could get lots of good rides and lots of pointers from folks. Hopefully next year I will be there.

Thanks Bigfisch,
I know you are right.
By the way, props to you for the ride you took just to get down here, I was in the saddle for only four hours on Saturday and I was a little sore and tired.
Good job Bro, and glad you made it home safely.:thumbsup:
I will be in touch as to the next time I can make one of these rides.:beerchug:
Bubba

Its all Scars fault! He started it!:rofl:

Bubba, from the names you listed and what I have heard about most of those guys, you are in darn good hands!

:rofl: ... but don't tell anyone... :beerchug:

we are leaving for the bash wednesday morning but will not get there until Thursday. You going?
Posted via Mobile Device

Boy I wish, but its a long ride from Cali and I can barely get a day off of work, much less a week.
Keep all of us in mind that cant be there and Ride safe and enjoy the company,
I am sure all will be great memories. :thumbsup:
Take lots of pics as you know I live for those!:beerchug:
Thanks again.
Bubba

I've been on a few rides, only one with more than 10 bikes, and I didn't like that one. I've learned that I can usually tell what kind of ride it's going to be before we ever leave. I'll admit the first group ride I went on I was way over my head !! About 9 bikes, all 600's, and a few 750's. The guy's were good riders, and wanted you to know it. Passing each other in turns, on roads where there were tons of walkers, and bikers (bicycles), on a road with nothing but blind turns. I bailed out after 20 minutes. When I told them I was out they said "the Busa don't do to well in turns, does it" ? I just said, "not with me, and not like this". I did feel a little embarassed, but not as much as I would running someone over, or hitting a tree.
Went riding with people from here, and everybody was more than helpfull with riding tips. I remember riding with Jessup (Eric) and he really helped a couple of us with the tight twisty stuff, and even though he could have went through those roads double what we were doing, he never made you feel like you were holding him up, or boring him. And that's the kind of people you want to ride with !! The best ride I think I've been on was with members from here... LCB, Jessup, Busafett, and Busasweety (him, and her), all very good people.

Let us know how it goes. I'm sure you will learn something, and you can pass that on to us !! Have fun !!

Sent you a request
thanks

Thanks MPH200,

I don't mean to jack my own thread, but do you ever ride to Lake Travis?
Is the pyramid house still there? I used to scuba dive Lake Travis 20 yrs ago.
Still have an old Hippie Hollow Poster in my garage.

Thanks again for the advice and believe me I will be getting some training soon.
Bubba

I had forgotten about that house. I live 5 minutes from Lime Creek road which circles the north end of the lake. I used to dive Travis 20+ years ago too. I used to have a Hippy Hollow T-shirt years ago. You should come down for a ride some day.

Watch for things in the road. My Wife was leading part of our ride Sunday & ran over a 3' snake trying to cross, he was pissed off. There was also a turtle crossing the road we all dodged. I have come up on an Emu in the road before ... & he wouldn't move.

Last edited:
I had forgotten about that house. I live 5 minutes from Lime Creek road which circles the north end of the lake. I used to dive Travis 20+ years ago too. I used to have a Hippy Hollow T-shirt years ago. You should come down for a ride some day.

Watch for things in the road. My Wife was leading part of our ride Sunday & ran over a 3' snake trying to cross, he was pissed off. There was also a turtle crossing the road we all dodged. I have come up on an Emu in the road before ... & he wouldn't move.

An emu?:laugh:
Thanks for the info, brings back a lot of good memories.
My wife grew up close to the lake.
I remember (somehow) going to see Stevie Ray Vaughn at a free concert on Lake Austin, good times there.
Thanks again and ride safe Bro.
Bubba

Group rides are fun:thumbsup: but it helps when everyone knows the hand signals an there is are rules just to make sure everyone on the same page and having the leader an sweeper have comms cell or radio in case their is a problem no one gets or left behind:thumbsup:

Our code of conduct in our group rides help keep everyone safe:

1. When you change lanes, go to the far side of the lane so someone else can also change lanes. Example: If you are on the left side of the right lane, when you move to the left lane, go all the way over to the left side of the lane.

2. When coming to a turn on a regular road, (for a twistie road see rule 5) drop into a single file line. You should communicate either before the ride or during the ride with the bike beside you about who is going to go first and who will drop in behind.

3. Learn the hand signals. The basic ones that we use are:
A. Hand tapping top of helmet: There's a cop.
B. Pointing frantically to the ground with hand or foot: There's something in the road on that side.
C. Left arm extended and bent 90 degrees with closed fist: We are about to make a final turn in and stop
D. Left Arm extended and bent 90 degrees with open hand: Right turn.
E. Left arm straight out: Left turn
F. Left arm extended out and slightly waving up and down with open hand: slow down or possible stop.
G. Someone flashing all five fingers of one hand at you: you forgot to turn off your blinker.
H. One leg extended to side of bike: That person is about to change lanes in that direction. (I personally prefer and use blinkers, but you need to know this one.)
I. Pointing to the gas tank: I need gas.
J. Pointing to your stomach: I need food.

4. It is not uncool to use your blinkers to change lane.

5. When you're on a twistie rode with a group, ride in a single file line and DO NOT ride above you're skill level! We always wait at the end of the rode for everyone and usually do a head count to make sure no one went down. Take it easy, we will wait for you.

6. Don't go flying by someone at high speed in the same lane as they are in unless you know them and they have told you that it is ok. Please go by in a different lane.

7. If you want to stunt, go out front and every one try to pick one or two lanes to stunt in. Most experienced stunters do this, this is for the inexperienced. It is much better to get in front before you do a wheelie, etc. Riding up through a pack on your rear wheel is not the safest thing in the world.

8. When you first ride with a large group or an unfamiliar group, I suggest you stay in back and on whatever side that has an escape route. You need to be thinking what will I do if someone in front of me goes down. It does happen!

9. When the group puts the hammer down and it comes time for you to decelerate, if you don't brake and just let off the throttle, make sure that you tap your brake a couple of times so that the bikes behind you will know your slowing down.

10. Wear protective gear. At the least you should have a jacket, helmet, gloves, and ankle boots.

11. Make sure your bike is registered and you have a valid license, etc..

12. Be gassed up when we meet.

13. Emergency cards with all of your information and Emergency Contact info.

14. Occasionally when turning a bike might pull out to turn but in intersection... he is stopping to create a barrier so cars know to stop and allow the group to turn into the road.. be aware for this.....He will then rejoin as the last bike.

15. If you peel off during a group ride let someone know. we'll be looking for you..it's a real drag.

16. When following do not focus on person in front of you keep them in peripheral vision and focus ahead. (IE. Don't Target Fixate!)

If there is an accident..

A) Don't' move the rider unless he cannot breath/impeded helmet in water puddle. mud etc.. (helmet came off something in his mouth)..then keep the neck straight as possible..

B) Know CPR.

C) do not pull out anything impaled braches etc... leave them in as pulling them out you may allow more bleeding

D) know how to use a tourniquet.

E) Call an ambulance be on safe side.

F) Search for emergency card inside jacket inside or under seat.

G) Turn off bike. shut off lanes of traffic place bike in lanes etc if necessary....
H) Find out where they are taking rider.

I) When cops show up.. Have a plan on what your going to tell them, as a group. Everyone has to agree on what your going to say. That's all I'm gonna say about this.

J) Don't' take off helmet!! Make sure it goes with them to hospital for docs.
Keep talking to them if concussed etc.. don't' let them get up etc..

K) Use your head.

As one can infer from most of the responses, a group ride is like any other team event-- chemistry, knowledge, and a little prep pay dividends.

Chemistry-- pick people you like riding with, people that are used to riding with folks at your skill level, etc
Knowledge-- practice riding skills, learn some hand signals, rules of the road, etc.
Prep-- make sure you have a map, proper riding gear (boots, leg, body, gloves, etc), packed with necessities, bike pre-inspection.

Back