5$ gas and 2 kids?

mynewride

Registered
well we just found out that my wife is pregnant last night.:thumbsup: problem is i have a single cab pickup and will not work to haul to carseats when i pick them up from daycare. so im looking for a car to drive... four door:hide:

so with the price of gas closing in on $4/gallon and the expected price of 5 im in the market for a fuel economical car.

Thoughts?

You could look at the new diesel Jettas, they get 40-42 on the highway.

Honda Civic or Accord 4 cylinder. We just traded my Honda for a Toyota minivan. Honda got close to 40mpg, even with me driving.

Luckily for me, I am a part of a vanpool so my costs for gas is a whopping ZERO dollars per month. But if I were to buy a fuel-efficient car, then the Prius, Jetta and Fiesta will be the contenders.

I do not want this to come across the wrong way, but how is that "very economical"?

"Economical" is a reflection of how much fuel the vehicle uses while in operation, not a reflection of pump price. If I was driving the petrol version of the same vehicle I would be using 14 litres/100km, rather than the 9.2 litres/100km my diesel truck gets.

There was a discussion on a powerstroke forum (diesel Ford superduty) factoring in the price of diesel, price of maintaining the diesels ($60 oil changes, etc) and fuel pricing compared to the V8 gas alternatives, the numbers were way closer than you would think. Only came out to a few hundred dollars difference per year. This was over a years worth of data from like 10 trucks with different mileage, locations, etc.
As far as the Toyota diesel, we can't get those in the states, we miss out on most of the diesel vehicles. We only get them in VW's and in Mercedes for cars.. :(

There was a discussion on a powerstroke forum (diesel Ford superduty) factoring in the price of diesel, price of maintaining the diesels ($60 oil changes, etc) and fuel pricing compared to the V8 gas alternatives, the numbers were way closer than you would think. Only came out to a few hundred dollars difference per year. This was over a years worth of data from like 10 trucks with different mileage, locations, etc.
As far as the Toyota diesel, we can't get those in the states, we miss out on most of the diesel vehicles. We only get them in VW's and in Mercedes for cars.. :(

I wish my diesel was only 60 bucks for a change. My oil changes run a 100 and I do them myself. :banghead:

That's a shame about the Toyotas. On the other hand, the VW diesels are insanely economical. I recently bought my wife a new Polo and she only has to fill it up once every six weeks!

"Economical" is a reflection of how much fuel the vehicle uses while in operation, not a reflection of pump price. If I was driving the petrol version of the same vehicle I would be using 14 litres/100km, rather than the 9.2 litres/100km my diesel truck gets.

Understood, I did not realize your version of the Tundra was a diesel.

I've heard fantastic things about the Jetta diesels. I've also heard HORRIBLE NIGHTMARE stories of them. All depends on who you believe. If its new and has warranty, who cares.. I'd take the Mazda 3 over the Honda Fit. My wife has a 3 they don't get the best mileage out there of all the smaller cars. Granted hers is fully loaded, and I mean FULLY, so I'm sure it weighs more than the other ones. Nice car though. TONS of room in the drivers seat. Way more than my Subaru had in the same size car. She has a "5-door" (hatchback) good looking car, and has been 100% reliable for us for the past 4 years..

how much does one of them shiney new jetta's cost? hard to spend 20g on a used car to save a 10 a week in gas

That is where I am at now. I drive a POS 2002 Sable that only gets 27 MPG on the highway. Although, it is paid for and runs fine. So, my plan is to drive that thing until it blows up and then get a Jetta TDI, Prius or Civic hybrid at that point. The new TDI Jettas start at around $21K, but in a few years you should be able to pick one up for a decent price, that again is my plan :)

Back