Gas prices ... again

Kento-Moto

Hayabusa Immortal
Donating Member
Registered
We all complain about em, But can ANYTHING really be done?

Seattle Post article : complete read : http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/opinion/337435_gasprices31.html

Be honest about gas gouging
By ROBERT WEINER AND JOHN LARMETT
GUEST COLUMNISTS

Gasoline prices are poised to explode again. Oil companies are setting up the framework for higher prices because of fears of a Turkish invasion of Kurdish-controlled northern Iraq and administration saber rattling about Iran. Crude oil, at $29.59 a barrel when President Bush took office in January 2001, is now pushing toward $100. Washington state's current gasoline cost of $3.09 per gallon, double Seattle's 2001 price of $1.52, is now second only to California in the 48 contiguous states.

Jay Leno joked on "The Tonight Show" Oct. 17, "The Nobel Prize for economics was awarded to three people -- the CEOs of Exxon, Texaco, and Shell for figuring out how to quadruple the price of oil over a seven-year period without an actual shortage."

He's right; there is no actual shortage. And even if something happened, Kurdish oil production is less than one-fourth of 1 percent of the world's oil, and all of Iraq generates under 3 percent. Iran's share of world production is falling, 5 percent last year compared with 8 percent in 1974. The oil industry uses the unrealized potential of small disruptions to implement huge price fluctuations. They are using the fear factor and war profiteering to repeat and increase what they had last year, the highest profits for any industry in U.S. history.

Further, home heating oil bills are up a third from a year ago, and double six years ago -- a $1,700 annual household increase, seven times inflation. Home heating bills are the silent economic killer to families -- the spotlight has been on car gas prices.

GasPrices.jpg

you ever notice that gas never goes down in the spring when theres LESS demand for heating oil?

So tell me something I don't know...
I don't like to think about it because it makes me so bloody angry.

What pisses me off is there doesnt seem to be ANYTHING that CAN be done about it short of a revolution.

anyone have any ideas?

They love to use the economic term: "The price reflects what the market will bear".

We could Boycott them to force change. I think it would be the only way to get some real attention. If demand dropped due to a boycott, the price would drop accordingly. However, knowing the industry traders, it would have an inverse effect on the price relative to a small international political concern.
Meaning that the price per gallon at the pump would only go down a few cents due to boycott compared to the price per barrel of crude going up several dollars in the matter of weeks due to world politics.

It's American capitalism at it's best.

Bush is getting back at all of us for his past failures in the oil buisness.

How many shares of Exxon/Mobil do you think his family and friends own ?

And let's not forget the biggest crook in the white house Cheney and all his oil buddies.

everyone could dump thier gas guzzlin' cages and get motorcycles! migrate south for the winter.. but then they'd screw us over something else. at least winter heat and transportation are easy targets for them. carpooling and fireplaces are a little relief, if available. what can we do? just bend over and take it like they expect us to do.
argue.gif

Yeah the gas situation sucks...

But that sign of the guy taking it in the rear from the gas pump is great!
laugh.gif

It's American capitalism at it's best.

Bush is getting back at all of us for his past failures in the oil buisness.

How many shares of Exxon/Mobil do you think his family and friends own ?

And let's not forget the biggest crook in the white house Cheney and all his oil buddies.
Let's not forget the Clintons  
sadnews.gif
and the Head Demos who are funded by OIL (Ya don't think HEATING oil goes up without their OK do Ya) considering the Heating Oil is mainly used ABOVE (the Bastion of the Demo's)  the Mason-Dixon Line or Texas. Also don't forget or blow off the knowledge that Congress has been in the DEMO'S control for 2 YEARS and they have done NOTHING EITHER
laugh.gif
!

It's just their way of raising taxes without everyone catching on. Think about it..... Everyone uses and needs it in some form or fashion.

firedevil.gif

I knew I should have skipped this topic. Now Im all PO'd. The Oil barrons have always been the richest and most crooked of thieves. Makes me want to walk into their home and strip them of all their wealth so they could have a chance to live like the rest of us. No offence to intended to any members here if your an "oil barron"
smile.gif

I own a semi so I'm starting to feel it too. I try to pass fuel prices to the customer but it's costing me about $600 to fill my tanks. I've already decided to quit long haul to use less, but where will it end?

No politician of any power really cares be them Republican or Democratic.

They all have plenty of cash or are juiced in somehow or somewhere.

I think all registered tax payers should get profit sharing from the IRS. Congress needs to be forced back to a voluntary position. "No Pay!" That's how it started and that's how it should stay! Now politics has become a business.

As I see it, with the current technology of vehicles, the most logical answer is diesel. Bio-diesel to be specific. I think its time to start collecting used frier grease and purchase or build a diesel vehicle.

This will also impact the gasoline demand if enough people go diesel.

Back