1st service

smac

Donating Member
Registered
I took my 08 in for it's first service today, dealership told me about 2 hours, i told the service guy to take some of the play out of my throtle cable. hour and a half later i went into the service department to check on the progress, he was putting my bike back together. he showed me the drained oil, it had pieces of what looked like bearings... did not give me a good feeling... he said he didn't know what caused it. after sweating ten minutes he finally told me it was from another bike, he said he was just kidding, NOT FUNNY!!!, any way i got my bike home and noticed how dirty the bike was, grease, fingerprints and a SCRATCH on the hump, fortunatey it buffed out, and the plastics not put back correctly... I feel like i got a $138.00 oil change, my throtle cable had not been adjusted either, needless to say from now on i will do all my own service work....dosen't anyone take pride in their work anymore????

There are some that do, but its hit and miss. We have a really good shop in our area that provides fantastic customer service. But, there is only one that I have any faith in.

i totally agree with servicing my own bike. The only problem is with some of the equipment you need, such as syncing your throttle bodies and such. But oil and filter changes, throttle adjustments no problems

Lesson learned, I take my mine to a fellow org member who takes real good care of my baby. Thanks 00Busa:bowdown:

I would have been pissed! That is scary.
Question: What is involved in the 500 mile service? I have changed the oil and tightened the chain in other bikes that I have owned in the pass. Does doing my own service void my warranty? I only have 231mile right now. I bought my bike out of state. Does anyone in MD. know where's the best place to take her?

I have friend who swears by his dealerships service and from what he has told me, it sounds like the mechanic who does his work takes a sincere interest.

I would imagine 500 mile service includes checking all fuel lines and coolent lines and there's no way they are going to do that without taking off most of the plastic. That's not going to happen unless you pay lots of money.

I feel much more confident and have learned a lot by doing all my own work on my 14. I go pretty fast sometimes and I can't have anything done 1/2azz. I ask a lot of questions on this and one other forum and I always get great info....usually better than I do at my dealership.

The trickyest thing is judging appropriate drive chain tension. My advise: a little too loose - not a problem. Too tight and she goes snap when you hit a bump.::11 ...or at least stretches some life out of the chain. When you measure the travel with a ruler, don't pull too hard - just maybe ~4 lbs of pressure. You can actually pull that chain far beyond the parameters of normal travel if you muscle it too much.

Mythos

I just have one ? for you, who cares more about your bike then you........

The first service is a oil change, adjust chain, tighten bolts, check all fluids.

Take pics of you doing it, save the first oil filter, that way you have prove about the service being done.

Do it yourself and learn about the machine you love to ride:beerchug:

I took my 08 in for it's first service today, dealership told me about 2 hours, i told the service guy to take some of the play out of my throtle cable. hour and a half later i went into the service department to check on the progress, he was putting my bike back together. he showed me the drained oil, it had pieces of what looked like bearings... did not give me a good feeling... he said he didn't know what caused it. after sweating ten minutes he finally told me it was from another bike, he said he was just kidding, NOT FUNNY!!!, any way i got my bike home and noticed how dirty the bike was, grease, fingerprints and a SCRATCH on the hump, fortunatey it buffed out, and the plastics not put back correctly... I feel like i got a $138.00 oil change, my throtle cable had not been adjusted either, needless to say from now on i will do all my own service work....dosen't anyone take pride in their work anymore????

I had the same thing happen to me. I will never use that steallership again!!! They profess to be the best in town, if you're ever in Houston stay away from K's service department, once they have your money they could give 2 $hit$ about you or your bike. I'm still trying to clean the chain lube they sprayed everywhere except the chain!

sorry to hear bro but like others said already,do it yourself, the throttle is enough to adjust also,send me a pm or look in the manual.

the 08',mine anyway,the throttle was not as responsive as I liked,almost like a 1/4 turn did nothing then it just all hit at once.slight adjustment was required,its good now

When I bought my 08 I thought i may have had a bad wheel Brg. in the front so i took it back. They only had 2 people in the dealership with a license to legally ride a bike, One was a mechanic and the other was the GM. Turned out the teck was off that day so the GM rode it. You could hear it at 50mph but the GM rode it 30 miles. GUESS WHAT, everything sounded fine to him. WELL YEAH, He probably can't get out of the rain by himself. Anyway, do it yourself or find a friend to help you, Don't let them touch it unless you have to. THey will blow smoke up your azz if you let them. Not all of them,But some will.

Back