Break in service

bstamper

Registered
So I go to the stealership tonight to drop my bike off for what was to be my 600 mile break in service tomorrow. However, upon arriving I get...tomorrow...no I don't see you here. So they look and see that I'm on next Wed. Hmm... I pull out my blackberry look at the meeting reminder that appeared as I was driving down. Think man when I got off the phone making the appointment I sent the g/f a message saying she'd have to come pick me up...which she had done dragging our little guy out...so i explain that either the guy taking my appointment told me the wrong week or he wrote it in the wrong spot. Nothing I can do for you is what I get...U sure I said? I mean your not the only dealership who can do this you know. Well...he says as I'm walking away then a do you want to keep your appointment? No thanks I reply and walk away back out to the show floor where I am hapily greeted by my salesman who sold me the bike. This guy was awesome and did well for me. I wondered if that was you out there he says what ya here for. Well, I thought I was here to get my break in service but...(told him the story) so its to bad your service department isn't as good as your sales department. As we walk over to parts and I pick up my oil and ask for the filter. He says, oh you gonna do it yourself. Yup I reply I'll do all I can. When ya gonna do it I'll come help but it can't be tonight as my son ...(just the kinda guy he is to offer). I am going to attempt it tonight I said. We talked for a while and I then took off.
As Ron White would say now I told you that story to tell you this one.
Knowing I had the powerpoint on how to remove the right side i was confident the oil change would be easy. I'd then call another dealership and schedule the break in service minus oil change. So i started taking off the right side...got frustrated but kept calm worked slow and eventually got it off with out issue. Once you get it off its a light bulb going off and i'm sure i'll never have a problem with it again. So now to ... oh boy. Take off the oil filter. Yea, no tools for that trick around. Too late to go to a store. So here I am. Can't ride tomorrow as the bike is still torn apart and i'm gonna have to find an oil filter wrench and do this tomorrow night.

Don't have an 08 but I have had to remove a stuck oil filter w/o the proper tools. I stabbed it with a screwdriver and used the leverage of the driver to loosen it enough to take it all the way off by hand. Large channel locks may also work. A K&N filter has a nut on it for easy replacement.

if you have to, you can always hammer a punch (or screwdriver) through the filter and twist it

warning, only do this as a last resort as it tends to make a mess
beerchug.gif

Make sure the 0 ring comes off with the filter. Suzuki wants the filter fairly tight read ur book. I use an end filter wrench, you can get a cheap one at walmart or a better one at an auto parts store. Take the filter with you to get the right one. Fill the filter with as much oil as reasonable for a horizontaly mount and lube new filter oring. If you let the filter set after pouring oil in it you will be surprised how much oil it will absorb. Usally the first place oil goes after the filter is the main bearings, so you want oil pressure to buid fast. (I apologize if you already know this stuff.) Dealerships are like hospitals, I try to stay away from them...

I try and stay away from dealers at all cost. I hate to imagine some kid making 8 dollars an hour is going to care much about his work. it's sad nobody takes pride in their work anymore.

Thanks all as always for the great advice. I will be getting "proper tools" to get the filter off today and will continue on my way. I would have been more dissapointed when i got further anyway as the oil pan I had wouldn't fit under the bike anyway. Going to take care of that when i get the filter wrench.

.  I would have been more dissapointed when i got further anyway as the oil pan I had wouldn't fit under the bike anyway.  
push the bike up on some nice flat bricks or something similar as to leave a void in the middle. (dont forget something on the right to support the kickstand.
a poor mans "rack"
cool.gif

Thanks all as always for the great advice. I will be getting "proper tools" to get the filter off today and will continue on my way. I would have been more dissapointed when i got further anyway as the oil pan I had wouldn't fit under the bike anyway. Going to take care of that when i get the filter wrench.
I cut out an antifreeze 1-gal container. It lays down and has a big opening to catch the oil. Not fancy, but it worked!

Ditto on the screwdriver trick although as pointed out it is messy!

Also on the strap type of oil filter wrench that attaches to a ratchet. I've had mine for years and it has never failed me (where's that wood to knock on?
rock.gif
)

Hmmm... Blackberry, Powerpoint, Cisco... You gotta be in IT... lol

Thanks all as always for the great advice.  I will be getting "proper tools" to get the filter off today and will continue on my way.  I would have been more dissapointed when i got further anyway as the oil pan I had wouldn't fit under the bike anyway.  Going to take care of that when i get the filter wrench.
I cut out an antifreeze 1-gal container. It lays down and has a big opening to catch the oil. Not fancy, but it worked!

Also on the strap type of oil filter wrench that attaches to a ratchet. I've had mine for years and it has never failed me (where's that wood to knock on?
rock.gif
)

...you got me!! IT it is. However, not your normal geek. Do all of my own mechanics normally. Wanted to keep this in the dealer for break in for warrenty reasons.

rock.gif
)

...you got me!! IT it is. However, not your normal geek. Do all of my own mechanics normally. Wanted to keep this in the dealer for break in for warrenty reasons.
I must not be either, I do all the work on my cars (except for the AC that went out last year) and did my oil change on the Busa...

PM me.. what do you do? Do you work for Cisco? I notice you are using the 'new' logo...
smile.gif

Thanks all as always for the great advice.  I will be getting "proper tools" to get the filter off today and will continue on my way.  I would have been more dissapointed when i got further anyway as the oil pan I had wouldn't fit under the bike anyway.  Going to take care of that when i get the filter wrench.

rock.gif
)

...you got me!! IT it is.  However, not your normal geek.  Do all of my own mechanics normally.  Wanted to keep this in the dealer for break in for warrenty reasons.
I must not be either, I do all the work on my cars (except for the AC that went out last year) and did my oil change on the Busa...

PM me.. what do you do? Do you work for Cisco? I notice you are using the 'new' logo...
smile.gif
That make three IT guys in the room now!
whistling.gif

I use these to remove the oil filter - work great (just use short turns). I bought the cap but there's not enough room to use it. Gen1 BTW.

CLocks.jpg

For a dealer this service really shouldn't take long. I can't believe they didn't just squeeze it in. That service dept. blows.

I use a large set of channel locks that I use when changing disc brakes on cars.

super.gif
PM -->
whitele @ May 22 2008 said:
1426209[/ATTACH] PM]

rock.gif
)

...you got me!! IT it is.  However, not your normal geek.  Do all of my own mechanics normally.  Wanted to keep this in the dealer for break in for warrenty reasons.

smile.gif
That make three IT guys in the room now!  
whistling.gif

super.gif

My Busa came with all the tools I need it was in a small bag under the passenger seat, yours didn't come with tools?

Do you have an old belt hanging in your clothes closet? One wrap around through the buckle and even the tighest oil filter will break loose.
Oh, BTW, it's been said a hundred times in other threads, but doing your own 600 mile servive WILL NOT void your warranty! Keep receipts for oil/filter and you're good to go!!!

Do you have an old belt hanging in your clothes closet? One wrap around through the buckle and even the tighest oil filter will break loose.
Oh, BTW, it's been said a hundred times in other threads, but doing your own 600 mile servive WILL NOT void your warranty! Keep receipts for oil/filter and you're good to go!!!
I decided to be patient and get the tools for the job. But good point..i got a few old belts i could have used. Got things taken care of an all is well. Had a helluva of a time w/ the crush washer but other than that i was good to go.

Back