first service (dealership ?)

Busa&Coal

Registered
So ive put 600 miles on my 2011 so far. The manual says the first service should be around 600.. my dealer said bring it back at 1000 miles.

I've got two questions... first. the dealer said they do more things than just change the oil and filter.... he didnt got into detail... so should I take it there and get charged around 100 bucks for a service or just do it myself. (warranty will not be affected.)

Second, should I change the oil & filter now or wait till 1k?

If it's only $100, let them do it just so it's documented for your warranty.

I asked the same question a few weeks ago and the overwhelming answer was to do it myself. I'm glad I did, saved some money and got more acquainted with the bike. There is a great sticky on right side fairing removal on here and just about everything else you would need to know. Just remember to put the drain plug back in befor adding new oil:laugh:

The first service is oil change/ filter and to go over the bike and tighten any loose bolts....:laugh:. They charge 280 around my way for that.

The first service for $100.00 is a bargain. Let the dealer do it now, not at 1000 miles. Remember, if you cut out the dealer because of money, don't cry if you need warranty work, and he says, "It will be ready in 6 weeks".

Doing routine service yourself will save a few bucks in the long run, but don't kill the local shop right out of the gate unless they fail.

The first service for $100.00 is a bargain. Let the dealer do it now, not at 1000 miles. Remember, if you cut out the dealer because of money, don't cry if you need warranty work, and he says, "It will be ready in 6 weeks".

Doing routine service yourself will save a few bucks in the long run, but don't kill the local shop right out of the gate unless they fail.
This sounds like good advice. Mine was about twice that but you arent going to see them very often so I say go for it now with the dealer and help them help you.

Mine is about a half a block from a big 18 plex movie theater and they take walk ins and do the work in under 2 hours! There is a win win for me in that I can have the wife meet me and we see a movie together and she thinks its a date night credit and I get the bike serviced. Expensive but worth it!

i worked for a few dealerships and could tell you if there only charging you a 100.00 thats all you will get if you even get that..if you know your way around your bike do it yourself... and you do not have to bring it back to the dealer for the first service so your warranty is not void..that is the big scare tactic... and yes first service is alot more than oil change...the whole bike is to be gone through... read this...Magnuson

Well, you being a self proclaimed "cheap ass" , i suggest you download the service manual and perform your own 600 mile service. Change the oil and filter, check torque specs and clean and adjust the chain.
It'll give you a sense of pride and true ownership. Plus your bike will be in good hands with a trusted person!!:laugh:

Do it yourself, stealership won't do anything else. That's just something they tell you to give you a warm fuzzy.

I changed my oil at 500 miles on my first one and 160 miles on the new one:laugh:

Change the oil, check the chain, caliper bolts, etc...... Save that $100

They charged me $240 for mine. So IMHO that's a great deal IF!!!!! They do everything they should be doing.

I was charged $150, but I was able to sit in the shop and watch the mechanic work. Ate lunch while watching. Kinda like dinner and a show.

If they said it was alright do it. Don't expect them to charge you $100, more like $150 >, They're suppose to check everything to make sure it's tight adjust and lube chain. I just bought four qts and a filter this weekend. I use to say $26, well now it's $39.

If its $100 let them take care off the service and get it done at 600. Its the most important service your bike will get.

Just broke 350 miles on my 2011, going to do my oil change and filter this evening, going to check the chain adjustment and double check all the torque specs etc. I would be surprised if much other than the chain needs anything as the bike was just assembled last thursday from its crate. LOL...

Do it yourself...good way to learn how to maintain your Busa on your own :thumbsup:

Just broke 350 miles on my 2011, going to do my oil change and filter this evening, going to check the chain adjustment and double check all the torque specs etc. I would be surprised if much other than the chain needs anything as the bike was just assembled last thursday from its crate. LOL...

What assembly :laugh:

100 bucks is very fair. For oil and filter as well as possibly adjust chain that's a decent price.
I had my first service done at dealer only because I made them include it in deal.
Nothing they do has to be done by them so for a Franklin is have them do it.

THE BIGGEST PAIN IN THE AZZ REGARDING FIRST OIL CHANGE IS GETTING ORIGINAL FILTER OFF.
I think Suzuki has a gorilla do it! Every bike I've seen no matter the make the original filter was freaking a beyotch getting off. Ones after are easy. This would be and was my reason for wanting them to do it.

100 bucks is very fair. For oil and filter as well as possibly adjust chain that's a decent price.
I had my first service done at dealer only because I made them include it in deal.
Nothing they do has to be done by them so for a Franklin is have them do it.

THE BIGGEST PAIN IN THE AZZ REGARDING FIRST OIL CHANGE IS GETTING ORIGINAL FILTER OFF.
I think Suzuki has a gorilla do it! Every bike I've seen no matter the make the original filter was freaking a beyotch getting off. Ones after are easy. This would be and was my reason for wanting them to do it.

So far EVERY bolt I have had to remove has been mega super torqued.

I personally wouldn't let some strange person at a dealer work on my bike even if they paid ME 100 bucks.
Now with some, its better to let someone else work on your bike. Tools become weapons of mass destruction in some hands of the unskilled mechanics.

Back