First service ??

hotrod_rick1

2 Wheel Therapy
Donating Member
Registered
Is it really needed to have the dealer do your first 600 mile service ? Im finding it hard to let them charge me $125.00 to change my oil and tighten up the chain. Is there really anything else that they do ? Iv been riding motorcycles for 15 years, and this is my first brand new bike. I feel that if you cant change your own oil and do maintance to it yourself , you have no reason to be on a Hayabusa anyway.

I'm not a knuckle-dragger, so; YES, it's worth it.  You might "shop the job" a bit and see if you can find someone who will do it for 'less', but IN MY OPINION, it's good to have a pro look at it.  It's also a great time to find a mechanic with whom you can develop a long-term professional relationship; someone you trust; someone who will take the initiative to do the little things for you (free) just because they know and like you.  This relationship is INVALUABLE.

Have you determined if your bike requires the safety inspection?  If it does and this inspection hasn't been accomplished, it'd be a good time to get that out of the way, as well...while they're all up inside it.

I know there are people who will disagree with me.  I don't care.

Edit:
PS:  I completely and wholeheartedly disagree with your closing comment.  What you just said is that I don't belong on a 'busa because I have no time/interest in being my own mechanic.  That's very small-minded of you.

That's like me saying: If you can't afford to have someone else do the work, you shouldn't own a 'busa. How stupid does that sound? Guess I should just take my professionally maintained busas somewhere else to play.

Scar___His_Busas_Feb_9__08.jpg

Not addressing the worth of taking the bike to the dealer.
I just take pride in doin the work myself, and if I take 2 hours to do an oil change so be it...its done right.

In the long run I believe it is worth it to have them do the first few maintenances. If for nothing else, then, for the warranty. You can void the warranty if you don't do certain things, or if you do other things. They can also find things you may have missed. I check my bike out regularly, and have had a mechanic notice something I missed.

I prefer to let them do it, even though I could do it myself, because it saves me the time. I work 60+ hours a week. I would rather have someone else change the oil so I can spend Saturday riding.

As far as - "I feel that if you cant change your own oil and do maintance to it yourself , you have no reason to be on a Hayabusa anyway"

There is nothing saying that you hae to do your own maintenance on a bike. Scar would be a prime example. I hear nothing but praises for the man's riding ability. It's his choice to do it or not. To him, and me, it's worth having someone else do it. And in my case, I know I can do it, I choose not to.

In the long run I believe it is worth it to have them do the first few maintenances.  If for nothing else, then, for the warranty.  You can void the warranty if you don't do certain things, or if you do other things.  They can also find things you may have missed.  I check my bike out regularly, and have had a mechanic notice something I missed.

I prefer to let them do it, even though I could do it myself, because it saves me the time.  I work 60+ hours a week.  I would rather have someone else change the oil so I can spend Saturday riding.

As far as - "I feel that if you cant change your own oil and do maintance to it yourself , you have no reason to be on a Hayabusa anyway"

There is nothing saying that you hae to do your own maintenance on a bike.  Scar would be a prime example.  I hear nothing but praises for the man's riding ability.  It's his choice to do it or not.  To him, and me, it's worth having someone else do it.  And in my case, I know I can do it, I choose not to.
Thanks, Jeff.

Guess I shouldn't have had that 2nd cup of coffee this morning.

laugh.gif

Scar___Yash_Palomar_7_27_08.jpg

Guess I shouldn't have had that 2nd cup of coffee this morning.
Shyeah.... like none of us have ever done *that*!!  
laugh.gif

I try to make it a rule to not answer email or surf forums until the double latte wears off a little.... but that doesn't always work out for me.    
whistling.gif

Back to the topic: I myself would never let anyone touch my bikes, but this stance comes only after a good couple decades of maintenance experience, having the right tools, the correct amount of patience, etc. It's not for everybody. Some don't have the tools, the experience, or the patience. Yet others have all these things and still let someone else do it simply because they just don't have the free time when the maintenance is due.

It is a specious argument to claim someone shouldn't be on a machine because they can't/won't maintain it.

I am reasonably sure Valentino Rossi can't rebuild the cylinder head on his Yamaha YZR-M1  racebike.... should he sit out the rest of the season?  
rock.gif

Yes he should War, and he should send me his pay this year
tounge.gif

On topic, tools and time are my issues. If I do my own maintenance you cut out a lot of miles for me. If they do it during my non riding time, I get it all. That's what it comes down to for me. I want to ride, and until I can get the time to do my own maintenance, I will take it to my trusted mechanic and let him take care of me.

Besides, I am a techy type anyways. The only wrench turning I actually do is tinkering on my own cars. Why not let a pro do it, his tools, his time, his butt if it's done wrong.

note to self - avoid Scar until the second cup wears off...

note to self - avoid Scar until the second cup wears off...
laugh.gif

I usually issue some of my most profound, scarcastic, most comedic idioms while buzzing along on Starbucks...often times cracking myself up to tears.

I can also be edgy, irritable, and easily agitated.

I hate to think you'd be reluctant to approach me.

werd.gif

goodboy.gif

Hi Scar,
I have a k8 that is comming up for its first service. Could you recommend a good mchanic that you know and trust? I am very leery about who I take it to.

I live in Romona but anywhere in S D county is OK if the machanic is good.

To introduce myself: I am 64 and this is motorcycle number 14. I am having a ball with this fantastic machine.

Sorry guys, no pictures yet. I will get some and post after my next ride up to mount Palomar.

Al

PS: I completely and wholeheartedly disagree with your closing comment. What you just said is that I don't belong on a 'busa because I have no time/interest in being my own mechanic. That's very small-minded of you.

That's like me saying: If you can't afford to have someone else do the work, you shouldn't own a 'busa. How stupid does that sound? Guess I should just take my professionally maintained busas somewhere else to play.

Scar,,, I was not intending on bashing anyone by that comment. Im sorry if i offended you or anyone else.
shutup.gif

Hi Scar,
I have a k8 that is comming up for its first service. Could you recommend a good mchanic that you know and trust? I am very leery about who I take it to.

I live in Romona but anywhere in S D county is OK if the machanic is good.

To introduce myself: I am 64 and this is motorcycle number 14. I am having a ball with this fantastic machine.

Sorry guys, no pictures yet. I will get some and post after my next ride up to mount Palomar.

Al
Hey, brother! Welcome to the .oRg!

It's a place of insanity, so it's a natural home for most of us...the others, well they just fade away.

laugh.gif

I have a couple of people, Hayabusa experts, who I trust implicity. I will arrange the requisite introductions when you're ready. They're vastly knowledgeable, accommodating, and, surprise of all surprises, socially accomplished. Strange mix, I know.

PM me your number and I will reply with mine. For the record, both of these mechanics are in metropolitan SD. Additionally, Lamb knows one (who I've yet to meet) at an independent shop. Lamb swears by his hook-up.

You should get through the 'new peeps section' and introduce yourself. Be prepared with a picture, however; we don't take too kindly to folks 'round here with no pictures.

laugh.gif
just kidding.

Please be careful on Palomar. As you're probably aware, it's not a place for newbs.

All the best, and looking for your PM,

Scar

laugh.gif

There are going to be alot of opinions about servicing your bike.
wowold.gif
 Do whatever you feel is right. There is only one real 'pro' to servicing your bike by yourself : You know exactly what you did !!!!!!!!!!!
tounge.gif

'Cons'there are many : Might void your waranty, If you screw up and can't fix it , it'll cost you more in the long run , do you know what you are doing ? do you know what to look for ? etc..... Looks like the list is endless !
sad.gif

Find somebody you trust and stick with that one until you trust no more. 125 $
rock.gif
? Dude, you just bought a very sophisticated piece of machinery !!!!!!!!! You don't have any money for maintenance ?
wtf.gif

Find a bike that fits your budget and trade yours in so you can actually enjoy riding it , without looking at the odometer worrying about your next service.
ThumbsUp.gif

If you buy hayabusa....you pay hayabusa
moon.gif

Scar,,, I was not intending on bashing anyone by that comment. Im sorry if i offended you or anyone else.  
shutup.gif
Rick: I received your PM and I accept your apology.

Not to belabor the point or pour salt on a wound, but I'm glad you acknowledged this severe lapse in your judgement.

There are many scores of great people on this forum who have vastly different perspectives and backgrounds; which is, in itself, a stinging example of why it is so important to choose your words wisely, and couch them temperately.

I will admit to a knee-jerk reaction to your comment, but when I re-read your statement, I was, indeed, put off (offended).

No harm, though...no foul. It should definitely be viewed as a learning experience.

The key is to remember that there are plenty of opportunities for all of us to continue to be valued, contributing members of this great Hayabusa family.

...and I do appreciate the fact that you're man enough to apologize.

Scar

I'm not a "knuckle-dragger" , so; YES, it's worth it.  You might "shop the job" a bit and see if you can find someone who will do it for 'less', but IN MY OPINION, it's good to have a "pro" look at it.  
OK, i konw im knew to this site(AND A GREAT SITE IT IS, BECAUSE OF THE "PEOPLE" HERE), and not thats this is any of my business...but then again i guess it is because its posted on a public forum board for thousands to view and comment on. SCAR, i mean you know disrespect as a man here, however i do have a problem with this whole reply you posted! you just jumped all down a guys throat for making a statement (because it "offended you"), that probably didnt have a whole lot of thought put into it in the first place,...i can undertand where this could and obviously DID offend you and others. BUT WHERE DO YOU GET OFF CALLING MECHANICS "KNUCKLE DRAGGERS"?! seenings how i am a mechanic by trade(for 20 years now) i take a BIG OFFENCE to this!!!!! NOW, how do you jump on someone for making a "uncalled for" statement, and then turn right around and do the same damn thing? maybe im all wrong here, and im sure i will hear it if i am, but just as the saying go's "one that lives in a glass house should not throw stones". PS, PLEASE PLEASE, do not take this as im trying to STIR THE SH*T, im just pointing out what i saw, and next time maybe not take things so personal and slam a guy for asking a valid question that maybe he didnt dot all the i's on?......JUST MY
2cents.gif

OK back on topic....i do agree with the whole "this is a brand new bike and take it to the shop for warranty reasons", and like i said i AM a mechanic, HOWEVER(my favorite word), just because its a factory motorcycle shop and there supposed to be the professionals, doesnt mean this is always the case. for example a very dear friend of mine purchased a brand new ducati and just like alot of you ALWAYS took his bike to the shop for its maintenance, well after picking his bike up from the shop that he'd been useing for 10 years or so went for his every saturday morning ride in the hill's. he was comming out of a corner, pinned 2nd into a power wheele when the FRONT FORKS slid out of the tripple tree's......so needless to say when he set the front end down, he wiped out, KILLED HIM!! A father of two and a huband! So EVERYONE PLEASE, if you do it yourself, or if you take it to the shop, REMEMBER take nothing for granted, ALWAY, look over your bike from time to time and check for obvious stuff!! just wanted to share that with you all......

....That's like me saying:  If you can't afford to have someone else do the work, you shouldn't own a 'busa.  How stupid does that sound?  Guess I should just take my professionally maintained busas somewhere else to play.
Well, yes, that DOES sound stupid, but no more so that how you started your reply : "I'm not a knuckle-dragger, so; YES, it's worth it."

Looks like I'll need to start wearing gloves to protect my knuckles, along with all the others in here that enjoy performing their own maintenance.

....That's like me saying:  If you can't afford to have someone else do the work, you shouldn't own a 'busa.  How stupid does that sound?  Guess I should just take my professionally maintained busas somewhere else to play.
Well, yes, that DOES sound stupid, but no more so that how you started your reply : "I'm not a knuckle-dragger, so; YES, it's worth it."

Looks like I'll need to start wearing gloves to protect my knuckles, along with all the others in here that enjoy performing their own maintenance.
bs.gif

"Knuckle-dragger" is an infinitely embraceable term of endearment.

I do my own. On my first Busa I brought it in and I had a mark on the filter, and the mark was still ther when I picked it up. The exhaust was scratched and it had 28 miles more on it. It took 17 days to do the service. Would have taken longer but I hounded them. The chain was so tight, that the bike suspension wouldnt travel. and the snap in the front was missing. I am aircraft mechanic. At the time, I had only 22 years as an all systems mechanic with 19 Aircraft certifications. Also a Cheif Inspector for 3 Airlines. You know the deal, (Shoulda, Woulda, Coulda).

I now after knowing the local people, have got the staight scoop. They start them up, adjust the chain, spray some LPS on the moving parts, and call it good.
Thats from the Mechanics own mouth.

Maybe people are more proffesional in other places, but in south Florida, No bodys more proffesional than me on my scooter.

Back