First service, 230$ for oil change and check up.

MisterGDBusa

Registered
So the bike was for the first service at dealer and they made my wallet 230$ lighter.
They said they will do oil and filter change.4qt and 1oil filter.
Adjust chain.
Check and re-tight exhaust clamps and bolts.
Check chassis/frame bolts.
Check steering/tripple tree bolts.
Wheels
Brakes.
They said if i dont bring it to first service, i might loose the warranty.

When my semi truck goes to oil change and service it costs 265$.
9 gallons oil.
3 big ass oil filters.
2 big fuel filters.
1pack of grease.
Adjust 6 brakes
Check transmission and 2 differential for oil.
Check lights and coolant level.

The old"you'll jeopardize your warranty" line of crap....You were taken for a $230 oil change and a look over which you could have done yourself. Do yourself a favor, download the shop manual, buy some quality tools, find a friend that is competent in wrenching and learn to do what you can to maintain your bike. Or, take it to the dealer and have their "certified factory mechanics" work on your bike for $90 hour. As long as you keep receipts on material of maintainence and perform it according to MFG's specs/schedule, your warranty is fine.

Being as the fuel filters for my diesels are $50 each and the oil filters are $20 each that sounds like a great deal on your rig service...not so much for the bike service.

I don't see how a warranty can be voided as long as you keep your records then they would have to prove the fail was caused by something you neglected to maintain properly, however the dealerships usually tend to put that on you to prove and make it as difficult as possible at times. I hate warranties.

Amazing how the same service by the same "certified suzuki techs" can vary so drastically. I was just calling local dealers...got prices for 230ish down to the 140 dollar winner at Romney Cycles...these guys never cease to impress!

my local dealer charged £99 for a annual service...1st ( 600 miles ) service was £49 ( suzuki UK he says covered labour costs on the 1st service)...both services took about 1hr....main service at 7500 is meant to be costlier due to plugs as they are expensive from the dealers.
So allowing for exchange rates $150 dollars or so seems OK depending on your local taxes as well...we pay 20% tax and a small disposal charge for the old oil.

changing the filter at 600 miles is a waste. imho
For me that would be the most vital filter change of all...its a new built engine so it will have caught any remnants from the build process especially from the gear teeth, clutch and so on.
After that every other oil change as per the manual suits me.

Sounds a little steep. Think I paid $150. I have 2 shops nearby. 1 is 8 miles away and the other is 24 miles away. I go to the one 24 miles way because they charge a lot less and I trust the guys. Find a good shop that you like and that wont bend you over.

I think that the maintenance items that I do myself are probably typical of what a lot of members here do. These are the minimum that you should be able to do yourself for the satisfaction and the fact that you will do a better job than the dealer. Oil and filter change. Clean and adjust chain. Change and bleed coolant. Change and bleed brake and clutch fluid. Change spark plugs and air filter. Remove and replace wheels for tire change. "Check and tighten bolts". This year I'm adding break and replace the chain and replace front and rear sprockets to my list.

this is what I paid, but to me it was and it will be a wasting of money. If you have the space to do it, do it yourself (change oils and filter). You will do it much better.

My bike was picked up at the dealer and has never returned. That was 4 years ago. As others have said, if you have the tools and the know how it is much better to do your own maintenance. Just keep your receipts and log what you did, your warranty will be just fine.

Sent from my JKU!

I think that the maintenance items that I do myself are probably typical of what a lot of members here do. These are the minimum that you should be able to do yourself for the satisfaction and the fact that you will do a better job than the dealer. Oil and filter change. Clean and adjust chain. Change and bleed coolant. Change and bleed brake and clutch fluid. Change spark plugs and air filter. Remove and replace wheels for tire change. "Check and tighten bolts". This year I'm adding break and replace the chain and replace front and rear sprockets to my list.

My bike was picked up at the dealer and has never returned. That was 4 years ago. As others have said, if you have the tools and the know how it is much better to do your own maintenance. Just keep your receipts and log what you did, your warranty will be just fine.

Sent from my JKU!

Not much different myself...though i do make sure the first service is done by the dealer just incase any service bulletins need done.
My dealer is fine about not seeing the bikes again after that .. maybe if i racked up big mileage i'd leave it into them but i think in general i know my own bike and its quirks etc better than anyone else...plus i know its done to my satisfaction with materials i've chosen.

If your new bike made it in and out of the dealership without getting scratched, scraped, or otherwise compromised, you should consider yourself lucky and call it a lesson learned. I hate taking any personal vehicle in for service of any type. Half those guys are either animals, or incompetent, and no one is going to treat my vehicle the way I would. Learned this the hard way too many times. No mas..

Edit: ^Oh, and this isn't even factoring in the ass rapery that comes with the territory..

oil is $4 a quart at Wally World... changing the filter at 600 miles is a waste. imho

For me that would be the most vital filter change of all...its a new built engine so it will have caught any remnants from the build process especially from the gear teeth, clutch and so on.
After that every other oil change as per the manual suits me.
I just paid $34 for four quarts and a filter. Believe me that first filter is probably the cheapest you'll pay for insurance on that bike and clean the magnet on the drain plug too.

I paid $130 for the '06, they wanted $130 for the '08, I asked the owner about the warranty and was told it wouldn't be an issue. From memory my 600 mile maintenance cost me $26.

The old"you'll jeopardize your warranty" line of crap....You were taken for a $230 oil change and a look over which you could have done yourself. Do yourself a favor, download the shop manual, buy some quality tools, find a friend that is competent in wrenching and learn to do what you can to maintain your bike. Or, take it to the dealer and have their "certified factory mechanics" work on your bike for $90 hour. As long as you keep receipts on material of maintainence and perform it according to MFG's specs/schedule, your warranty is fine.

I know how to work on cars and bike.
I really never touched and engine or rebuild, but everything else around the engine I know to work on.
I was doing everything on my old CBR, only went to honda for a clutch recal.
But they insisted so much on that.
I said I will swallow those 230 bucks to have piece of mind.
I know they won't see me again.
And yes sir, pretty much it was 230$ for 4quarts of oil and oil filter.
I checked and yes chain was adjusted.
Told them to check the clutch and they said its normal to hear that sound when clutch not engaged.

Being as the fuel filters for my diesels are $50 each and the oil filters are $20 each that sounds like a great deal on your rig service...not so much for the bike service.

I don't see how a warranty can be voided as long as you keep your records then they would have to prove the fail was caused by something you neglected to maintain properly, however the dealerships usually tend to put that on you to prove and make it as difficult as possible at times. I hate warranties.

Yeah, I had that problem with my old pick up truck, I was changing the oil and truck haven't been in dealer for 35000 miles and the stupid service representative was like, "looks like your last oil change was 35000 miles ago".
I smiled and said, we'll I didn't know that dodge makes engine that can last that long without oil change.

Back