Of Dealerships and Service Depts

I had a dealership (that I no longer use) keep my bike once for 4 weeks while waiting for a part to come in a 2 weeks another time for maintenence that wasn't absolutely needed at the time. I could have gotten both parts from sponsors here overnight, but they wouldn't install anything that wasn't purchased from them. Not doing plugs and a sync at 8,000 miles won't hurt the bike. I'd rather have the bike ot ride than have it sitting in a service department while they wait for 4 spark plugs to come on a slow boat from Japan. Now I call and make sure they have everything they will need before I take the bike in, even though the shop I use now has been good.

Agreed. I appreciate them doing that if that was their intention, just would appreciate better communication in the future. Problem is, they help me out like this all the time. :laugh: Always very Half :moon: to say the least.

I know it won't hurt the bike. I just like to be tidy and organized. That way I don't really have to keep up with it or know what I am doing. :whistle: I figure, if I at least do the services diligently, I should be fairly good (and safe). See how not doing the service completely might throw a monkey wrench in my perfect plan? How would I ever know if it ever got done... or keep track of what needs to get done, aside from following the plan.. got other things to keep track of!

After hearing all the horror stories all the time I guess I can thank my lucky stars for the top notch dealer I have!:thumbsup: They're the bomb!

Agreed. I appreciate them doing that if that was their intention, just would appreciate better communication in the future. Problem is, they help me out like this all the time. :laugh: Always very Half :moon: to say the least.

I know it won't hurt the bike. I just like to be tidy and organized. That way I don't really have to keep up with it or know what I am doing. :whistle: I figure, if I at least do the services diligently, I should be fairly good (and safe). See how not doing the service completely might throw a monkey wrench in my perfect plan? How would I ever know if it ever got done... or keep track of what needs to get done, aside from following the plan.. got other things to keep track of!

Since you prepaid for the service, seems they owe you a sync and plugs as they are required on the 7500 mile service. The dealer that I used to go to also didn't communicate worth a damn. Seems they didn't feel the need to provide customer seervice since they had a monopoly in the area. I'll drive for good service. I guess they feel they don't need to treat you any better since they have you locked in with the prepaid service.

???
Since you prepaid for the service, seems they owe you a sync and plugs as they are required on the 7500 mile service. The dealer that I used to go to also didn't communicate worth a damn. Seems they didn't feel the need to provide customer seervice since they had a monopoly in the area. I'll drive for good service. I guess they feel they don't need to treat you any better since they have you locked in with the prepaid service.

Yeah, the pp service goes through 20K miles, so thats the remainder of the 8K, then 12K, 16 and 20. I spoke with the GM of the dealership I've been using. We agreed to have me go to another dealership "in the family", prepaid in tact, albeit a bit further away. We'll see how it goes.

I hear ya... and I had the same thoughts, but I really think it just comes down to how they run their operation in general (mgmt ;). The service I get is just their standrad right now. The GM does agree it needs help and claims to be working on it. I think he just doesn't want to fire/hire the correct people. The *one* guy that schedules the appts, orders parts, interfaces with the public etc... for this larger dealership is too slammed, doing the work of 2 or 3 people. Then the "QA" is just all-out lacking or non-existent. They treat their high-dollar, newer and better maintained bikes equal to the beaters. Might not noticed that scratch on the beater... or even care, but not the same with my shiny Hayabuda. :thumbsup:

I'll get it right, eventually. Maybe should've spent the time doing it myself. ???

Edit.. you're right though, when there's no competetion, hard to keep your iron sharpened. People will take the crud bc it the crud is what they have.

Last edited:
Hopefully it will work out good for you.

Thanks. Got it to the new dealership. They are powder-coating the back wheel and I think the swingarm too even. How the last guys managed to damage so much by just changing a tire is beyond me (something about the brake caliper).

They're also gonna finish out the 8K service.

It took me about 20 minutes extra to get there (with no traffic), but the operation looked a lot more organized. I am happy I switched.

Last edited:
Just an update here... after a long argument with the service manager at a local shop, I finally got them to agree to repair the damage to my back wheel and swingarm - they agreed to have both re-powdercoated (can this be a word?).

Well, 17 days gone by so far and no word. Maybe this means they are doing a good job. :whistle:

Just an update here... after a long argument with the service manager at a local shop, I finally got them to agree to repair the damage to my back wheel and swingarm - they agreed to have both re-powdercoated (can this be a word?).

Well, 17 days gone by so far and no word. Maybe this means they are doing a good job. :whistle:

Negative. Your bike is sitting under the sun rotting. They are working on something more substential, I.e. insurance backed vehicles which they can charge ridiculous amount for works they do.
Who's gonna power coat? If I were you, I'll take my bike and run. You can always use your pp service for something more important.
Posted via Mobile Device

I agree, 17 days is way to long to do any type of work on a customer's bike. From my understanding powder coating goes faster than painting too. I would be calling them three times a day asking where my bike is.

Negative. Your bike is sitting under the sun rotting. They are working on something more substential, I.e. insurance backed vehicles which they can charge ridiculous amount for works they do.
Who's gonna power coat? If I were you, I'll take my bike and run. You can always use your pp service for something more important.
Posted via Mobile Device

I was totally being sarcastic. I am sure they've probably done very little still, but they are doing it for free. If it isn't right, I will continue to fight them. This is a new shop, btw... the previous one is paying for them to do the work. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt before I pass judgement, but I definitely hear you. Hoping and Praying... :please:

Last edited:
I agree, 17 days is way to long to do any type of work on a customer's bike. From my understanding powder coating goes faster than painting too. I would be calling them three times a day asking where my bike is.

I called Monday and they said it was still being powder coated. Monday was day 14. After 14 days, they should be done powder coating. ??? To their credit, they do have to disassemble without further damaging bike, ship to 3rd party, wait for them to do power coating, wait for return shipping, reassemble carefully... then re-do the 8K mile service... and they did say it'd take a week or so...and I did say take as long as you need to do this right... but yeah, 2.5 weeks is a lot.

If I get the bike back within a week AND it is done right, I'm happy... anything else and I just might rage and take it to small claims court... and they know this, so all the more reason to get it right. I'm giving them that chance... to earn my business and an opportunity to see that it's not me that's a bad customer... it was the other shop that did a horrible job and gave me a reason to be pissed.

Last edited:
There's nothing itemized - I have pre-paid maintenance, so it is (was) a flat single fee.. and I expect to get my money's worth!

But, this is the kinda sh-- I'm talking about with these guys. I take the bike up to get the repair on the back tire. I ask, is this something you can do within an hour or so or should I come back. They say it'll be done in an hour.

4 hours later, I am back home, 1 mile away from the dealership.

AND... my rim is scratched up in multiple places.

The dealership just has horrible service, flat out. I have the history with them to prove it. <-- period!

So, I don't know what to do - about my rims, about future services, about my prepaid (thru 20K miles) service.

Ahh well, such is life. I'd like to get my prepaid money back and seek greener pastures. Doubtful that'll happen.
If you have pre-paid service through them, and they're not doing the services you've already paid for...then they are most def ripping you off plain and simple. Plus it sounds like they're tearing up you're bike ta' boot :banghead: If you're locked into using them only with you're pre-paid service, then they have you by the short hairs. They already have you're money...so if you don't like their service they'll be just fine if you never come back...there's no incentive left for them to do good work. And if you keep coming back they'll just do as little as they have to, as fast and sloppy as they can, to get your bike out of the way for the current paying customers. And I also heard rumours one time of a shop that was purposely flattening some tires to make a little more money ::11 Thats a terrible situation you're in :banghead: Unfortunately 99.9% of dealerships and service departments are like that.....you're best bet is to either do the work yourself, or find a small shop with experienced mechanics that actually wants and needs your business :thumbsup:
Unfortunately having another shop tear even deeper into the bike might cause even more probs. Usually the more that gets taken apart, the more problems pop up....its really a lose-lose perpetuating cycle. Once a dealership gets deep into your bike...it'll never be quite the same again. And this will be the kinda battle you'll always be able to look forward to anytime you take your bike in for work.........I feel for you :(

Last edited:
If you have pre-paid service through them, and they're not doing the services you've already paid for...then they are most def ripping you off plain and simple. Plus it sounds like they're tearing up you're bike ta' boot :banghead: If you're locked into using them only with you're pre-paid service, then they have you by the short hairs. They already have you're money...so if you don't like their service they'll be just fine if you never come back...there's no incentive left for them to do good work. And if you keep coming back they'll just do as little as they have to, as fast and sloppy as they can, to get your bike out of the way for the current paying customers. And I also heard rumours one time of a shop that was purposely flattening some tires to make a little more money ::11 Thats a terrible situation you're in :banghead: Unfortunately 99.9% of dealerships and service departments are like that.....you're best bet is to either do the work yourself, or find a small shop with experienced mechanics that actually wants and needs your business :thumbsup:
Unfortunately having another shop tear even deeper into the bike might cause even more probs. Usually the more that gets taken apart, the more problems pop up....its really a lose-lose perpetuating cycle. Once a dealership gets deep into your bike...it'll never be quite the same again. And this will be the kinda battle you'll always be able to look forward to anytime you take your bike in for work.........I feel for you :(

Well, there are three shops with the same owner in my general vicinity, so my pre-paid will carry over. I hope that the new place will do right, despite already having my money. If they dork me around like the last place, that's too bad. I spent a year fighting Nissan in a lemon-law suit, in the end alone facing three of their attornies in a court of law and winning with a new car. I don't mind pursuing legal action again if need be, but again, I hope it doesn't get to that point.

I have confidence they'll get the bike back in the correct condition.

When my pre-paid is complete, I'll move on... and if the next place determines the bike wasn't properly serviced in the past, there'll only be one person to go after.

Last edited:
Well, there are three shops with the same owner in my general vicinity, so my pre-paid will carry over. I hope that the new place will do right, despite already having my money. If they dork me around like the last place, that's too bad. I spent a year fighting Nissan in a lemon-law suit, in the end alone facing three of their attornies in a court of law and winning with a new car. I don't mind pursuing legal action again if need be, but again, I hope it doesn't get to that point.

I have confidence they'll get the bike back in the correct condition.

When my pre-paid is complete, I'll move on... and if the next place determines the bike wasn't properly serviced in the past, there'll only be one person to go after.

How deep is it into my bike to remove the swingarm?

Just want to say that I got the bike back and it looks perfect... back wheel and swingarm look as good as new.

Rode for about an hour, everything seems normal... guess new spark plugs weren't really needed.

Back