500 mile service?

twotonevert

Member of P.E.A.
Donating Member
Registered
Well my bike has been due now for its first service for over a week. Guess I will ride to Bartlesville Saturday morning and get that done. What do they do on the first service other than oil? I will do my own from this point foward but they asked me to bring it back for this service.

Mmmm nothing that you can't do!
Check chain , check a few screws to make sure their not loose, and then screw you for a buck fitty!
Save your money unless they included it in deal.

Mmmm nothing that you can't do!
Check chain , check a few screws to make sure their not loose, and then screw you for a buck fitty!
Save your money unless they included it in deal.

No, its not included. They said to maintain my warranty I needed to let them do the first maintenance. Then I could do the rest myself as long as I kept my receipts.

Ya they are "suppose" to go over the main frame bolts, exhaust header bolts.. a few other nicks and nacks..

I did the first service through my dealer.. the rest I've done myself.

yeap they are right, they told me i had to bring it in the first time to keep the warranty and after that i was good to do it myself

I did my own, but only got to it around 1,200 miles. Really it needed nothing other than an oil/filter change (the oil was still clean by the way) and an ever so slight chain adjustement. Make sure whoever pulls your plastics to change the filter, knows what they are doing and takes care in doing it.

No, its not included. They said to maintain my warranty I needed to let them do the first maintenance. Then I could do the rest myself as long as I kept my receipts.

yeap they are right, they told me i had to bring it in the first time to keep the warranty and after that i was good to do it myself

Does the warranty state that you can't do your own maintenance? To my knowledge, as long as the maintenance is done, the warranty must be honored.

Does the warranty state that you can't do your own maintenance? To my knowledge, as long as the maintenance is done, the warranty must be honored.

I would tend to agree with this.
Where does it say in your warranty first service must be done by a dealer?

Either way $100 ain't too bad considering oil and labor is most of that.

You should email the tech a link to my fairing removal videos so they get it right though :laugh:

i have the joy of knowing one of the guys personally that work at the local shop. atleast from my experience of the 500 mile break in service they did everything they said they would do, but of course it was one of my buds. i couldn't tell you if it's in the actual contract though to keep the warranty, but that's what he told me. good question blanca:thumbsup:

Be sure to make sure the dealership reassembles the plastics correctly, my dealership did not, and make sure they clean it well, fingerprints, grease, ect...again my dealership did not. I was not happy!

Be sure to make sure the dealership reassembles the plastics correctly, my dealership did not, and make sure they clean it well, fingerprints, grease, ect...again my dealership did not. I was not happy!

Good point. :beerchug:

You may want to check on that. Myself and 2 friends have all bought new Busa's in the last 3 years(one is a 2011 in Jan). We all ask about the first service warranty deal. We were told that the dealer did not have to do it, and that didn't void the warranty.
I'm with Blanca, I call BS.

My dealer flushed everything.. oil, radiator, transmission fluid, brake fluid and tightened up all bolts and chain lube/tighten... not sure if that is normally part of 500mile service but it wasnt too expensive so i didnt argue

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

My dealer flushed everything.. oil, radiator, transmission fluid, brake fluid and tightened up all bolts and chain lube/tighten... not sure if that is normally part of 500mile service but it wasnt too expensive so i didnt argue

There is no transmission fluid:poke: If they told you that they were just trying to make you feel better about how much they overcharge people.

maybe you should take the plastics off before you take it down there?

I went back and forth about doing my own maintenance for fear of voiding the warranty and after quite a bit of research (I posted the reply here on the board somewhere that I received from Suzuki), learned that as long as you keep all receipts of fluids and such used, there will be no issue. I even went so far as to keep the original filter after I removed it sealed in a baggie. I also took timestamped pictures of the odometer and used oil just for S's & G's.

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/gen-ii-busa-information/129678-official-suzuki-limited-warranty.html

I've also found that over the course of doing my own maintenance instead of paying the dealership, I've been able to purchase the stands and tools necessary to continue doing so and help out others in need when it's an issue that's DIY. So far I've accrued a rear stand (the $60 I saved by doing the 1st maintenance), a torque wrench, a full set of allens, a full ratchet set, chain tool, etc. The manual and the knowledge are free. It even tells you what specific sizes you need (i.e. 36mm for rear wheel nut, etc.)
It's gotten to the point where I've genuinely taken interest in my bike and seem to have a much more sincere concern about my own well-being on this piece of machinery than most techs that work at dealerships. I'm sure there will definitely be situations that will be way over my head, and I'll reluctantly have to take it somewhere...but until then, I plan on minimizing the random hands that work on my bike. It's been said several times before on here that no one cares about your stuff like you do...and nothing brings that to mind moreso than fairing removal with this bike. I'd rather take the extra half hour knowing that all the pieces were properly taken apart and put back together (because there are places where clips or notches can be snapped if you're not being careful) and all the snaps are in place, as opposed to someone who's got an hour to work on the next one in line. I just changed my oil this past weekend and taking the plastic off gets easier and easier each time.
I'll even go so far as to say I have more trust in solo mechanics than dealerships when it comes to maintenance or repair.

Did you actually watch them do all this. I'll bet money they didn't flush the radiator or the brake fluid and I know for a fact they didn't flush any transmission fluid (unless you consider changeing the oil as flushing the transmission).

Back