120MPH and Caught, do you run?

I think you're missing the point... imagine a simultaneous violent front and rear tire blowout at 120mph. You're gonna crash -- and quite likely die or be irrepairably injured.[/QUOTE]

It's not that bad...cops are always throwing stop sticks in the front of my '86 PCJ600 causing front and rear blow outs. I crash and then go jack the next nearest car or bike and continue on.

There's gotta be some GTA VC fans here!
smile.gif

Seriously though, throwing stop sticks in front of a bike is no different than setting up land mines to stop a fleeing car.

And a second thought... now that I've gathered my wits again...

On a bike, at speed, stopsticks is akin to using lethal force.  It's a good chance that it's a death warrant.
I find it hard to beleive they could use a stop stick on a bike and not be held responsible for the outcome...
I think its perfectly understandable to use stop sticks .... I heard a Judge say that going 30 mph over the limit is a "death speed". He indicated that going that much over the speed limit is not only a threat to the driver but to the surrounding vehicles. Needless to say this Judge hammered the driver of the vehicle --12 months loss of license and $500 fine plus court cost. Sounds harsh, but the same judge gave everyone in court going 10 -15 miles an hour a break so it would show up on their insurance. Typically under 120mph doesn't show up. Basically hewas a cool judge. But the point is that at certain speeds I believe people consider the driver a "public threat" and therefore in order to save the "public" the driver can be sacrificed... In the case of a motorcyclist the cops can't be held responsible, because by the time the cyclist hit the stop stix he has already been warned and asked to stop and pullover.

So once again it becomes to cyclist RESPONSIBILITY to obey the laws or pay the penalty when he doesn't.

I admit I speed everytime I get on the bike. It seems speeding is just a part of the sportsbike culture. But I'm always aware of what the penalty is for speeding... and if and when I get caught I cry, bitch, and moan, but I'll pay the cost. Because its cheaper than the alternative ---

However if its a divvided highway and he's got to go more than a mile to turnaround then ..... hey maybe he's going after someone else  --right
rock.gif
i agreed w/ you on that one, if the rider would just do the right thing and stop to begin with then it wouldn't have to come to the stop six. i agree that the stop six can cause great injuries and/or even death but i have very little compassion for people that doesn't care about his/her life or other people's lives. just like the people in police videos, there was a clip of a bunch of guys in a beat up honda accord that was leading police through residential area doing about 25-30 mph, just driving in circles, going against one way streets, flashing gang signs to by standers, laughing at the cops behind them, etc. i say when it's clear, put some bullets in their heads and be done with. it all comes down to if a person is stupid enough to do the crime then that person should pay the price or at least understand the consequences IMHO.

i agreed w/ you on that one, if the rider would just do the right thing  and stop to begin with then it wouldn't have to come to the stop six.  i agree that the stop six can cause great injuries and/or even death but i have very little compassion for people that doesn't care about his/her life or other people's lives.  just like the people in police videos, there was a clip of a bunch of guys in a beat up honda accord that was leading police through residential area doing about 25-30 mph, just driving in circles, going against one way streets, flashing gang signs to by standers, laughing at the cops behind them, etc.  i say when it's clear, put some bullets in their heads and be done with.  it all comes down to if a person is stupid enough to do the crime then that person should pay the price or at least understand the consequences IMHO.
OOOYYYYEEEE!!!

I'm am totally bewildered by some of the opinions here on this matter.  Are you purposely using hyperbole to demonstrate your dislike for scofflaws or do you really advocate putting "bullets in their heads" because they were in a low speed police chase and laughing at cops?

I agree that when you finally stop these guys, they get what's coming to them -- w/i the boundaries of the law!!!  You can't go around killing bike speeders by blowing out their tires with stopsticks at 120mph because you feel like it... where the heck do we live?  North Korea?

Oh... and as far as "do the right thing" is concerned... technically, the "right" thing was not to speed in the first place.

And I agree that a speeder runnig from the cops is a danger to the general public. However, it's the speeding itself that is the crime that is causing the danger to the general public -- not the evasion of the police. So, by that logic, you might as well just shoot all speeders rather than stopping them to issue a ticket.

<!--EDIT|Tiresmoke
Reason for Edit: None given...|1083164729 -->

On a bike, at speed, stopsticks is akin to using lethal force.  It's a good chance that it's a death warrant.
I find it hard to beleive they could use a stop stick on a bike and not be held responsible for the outcome...
I think its perfectly understandable to use stop sticks .... I heard a Judge say that going 30 mph over the limit is a "death speed". He indicated that going that much over the speed limit is not only a threat to the driver but to the surrounding vehicles. Needless to say this Judge hammered the driver of the vehicle --12 months loss of license and $500 fine plus court cost. Sounds harsh, but the same judge gave everyone in court going 10 -15 miles an hour a break so it would show up on their insurance. Typically under 120mph doesn't show up. Basically hewas a cool judge. But the point is that at certain speeds I believe people consider the driver a "public threat" and therefore in order to save the "public" the driver can be sacrificed... In the case of a motorcyclist the cops can't be held responsible, because by the time the cyclist hit the stop stix he has already been warned and asked to stop and pullover.

So once again it becomes to cyclist RESPONSIBILITY to obey the laws or pay the penalty when he doesn't.

I admit I speed everytime I get on the bike. It seems speeding is just a part of the sportsbike culture. But I'm always aware of what the penalty is for speeding... and if and when I get caught I cry, bitch, and moan, but I'll pay the cost. Because its cheaper than the alternative ---

However if its a divvided highway and he's got to go more than a mile to turnaround then ..... hey maybe he's going after someone else  --right
rock.gif
i agreed w/ you on that one, if the rider would just do the right thing  and stop to begin with then it wouldn't have to come to the stop six.  i agree that the stop six can cause great injuries and/or even death but i have very little compassion for people that doesn't care about his/her life or other people's lives.  just like the people in police videos, there was a clip of a bunch of guys in a beat up honda accord that was leading police through residential area doing about 25-30 mph, just driving in circles, going against one way streets, flashing gang signs to by standers, laughing at the cops behind them, etc.  i say when it's clear, put some bullets in their heads and be done with.  it all comes down to if a person is stupid enough to do the crime then that person should pay the price or at least understand the consequences IMHO.
look dude... I am not one to critize here... but where the fu*& do you get off?

After all, you own the fastest fuc*)ing bike made and I know you aren't driving the speed limit all the time either... maybe you are better off dead and I won't have any compassion for you either...

Not taking this personally... just think your post is somewhat... not making perfect sense. After all, there are plenty of people out there that think you riding your bike at 150 is endangering lives as well and they wish you would be dead I am sure...

Cloud

Me and another Busa passed a cop headed towards us, and we were side by side at 190mph!!! 2 of our other buddies behind us not racing us, said the cop came to a stop in the middle of the road after we passed him. Stared at his sterring wheel for a couple seconds, put it back in drive, and then kept on going without turning for us. They thought he was in shock.
devil.gif
AAAssjani.gif
blues.gif

Oh, and by the way, all of you's who are bitching and complaining about how speeding busa riders should die/crash/get tickets... Go to the Honda .org sites. There's plenty of scooter forums that will be in your preferred speed limit range, you bunch of sissy's. Lemme guess, your Democrats, and you bitch about the war in Afghan too, right? Enjoy your freedom, which others fight to give you. The hardest battle in your life is whether or not to call the police on a busa doing 30 mph over the speed limit.
poke.gif

In this thread, are people seriously suggesting that they think its quite in order for traffic cops in the US to use StopSticks against motorbikes?

There surely has to be a test of reasonableness on the amount of force used to apprehend anyone. That test may be OK if you have 4 wheels but it is manifestly absurd to infer it is OK against speeding motorbikes.

Its now very serious if you get caught doing over 100 mph on UK roads. In quite a few cases, you are now looking at a CUSTODIAL SENTENCE on top of a massive fine (up to GBP1,000), driving licence taken away for up to >3 years and an enforced re-take of your driving test at the end of punishment AND even then you might not get mandatory bike insurance!

So far as I'm aware, the UK Police have stopped short of using Stopsticks against bikes........

cheers
Delboybusa

Oh, and by the way, all of you's who are bitching and complaining about how speeding busa riders should die/crash/get tickets...  Go to the Honda .org sites.  There's plenty of scooter forums that will be in your preferred speed limit range, you bunch of sissy's.  Lemme guess, your Democrats, and you bitch about the war in Afghan too, right?  Enjoy your freedom, which others fight to give you.  The hardest battle in your life is whether or not to call the police on a busa doing 30 mph over the speed limit.  
poke.gif
Don't take it that I am bitching and complaining about speeding riders... just trying to put in perspective that going 150 could be looked at as just as bad as running from the cops.

this willgetbusa  guy sounds like a winner!i dont know wtf some of you guys think if others do it its wrong .but if its you it different.i dont care who you are if you OWN a busa you speed in all kind of zones and worse things than running from the cops can happen.now this freegin yahoo says shoot people lol.

<!--EDIT|rob t
Reason for Edit: None given...|1083187934 -->

I have/would run at 100 mph+ over here no question at all! the police are not allowed to use stingers(stop sticks) on bikes due to the fact that they will more than likely kill the rider! get off the motorways and head into town and plot up and wait till its clear. this is advice from a police chief inspector I'm related to! I would get punished more for speeding than I would for violence/theft. judges here are morons. the law is an ass and traffic police are scum here.

OOOYYYYEEEE!!!

I'm am totally bewildered by some of the opinions here on this matter.  Are you purposely using hyperbole to demonstrate your dislike for scofflaws or do you really advocate putting "bullets in their heads" because they were in a low speed police chase and laughing at cops?

I agree that when you finally stop these guys, they get what's coming to them -- w/i the boundaries of the law!!!  You can't go around killing bike speeders by blowing out their tires with stopsticks at 120mph because you feel like it... where the heck do we live?  North Korea?

Oh... and as far as "do the right thing" is concerned... technically, the "right" thing was not to speed in the first place.  

And I agree that a speeder runnig from the cops is a danger to the general public.  However, it's the speeding itself that is the crime that is causing the danger to the general public -- not the evasion of the police.  So, by that logic, you might as well just shoot all speeders rather than stopping them to issue a ticket.
no, i'm not advocating anything here but when a car is going the wrong way endangering other cars that are coming toward it and people walking in cross walks have to dodge out of their way or get run over, i do "demonstrate" a strong dislike for these idiots. a car traveling 25mph can kill a person if there's impact. if it takes a bullet to prevent these guys from endangering other people, i say, go for it. kind of like the soldier that stole a tank in san diego ummm maybe about 10 years ago. he didn't care about his life or other people's lives and the cops have to kill him to stop the rampage. so it doesn't matter if it's a car, bike, plane, train, boat, etc. i would support doing anything possible to stop that person before he or she hurts someone else. you do it not because "you feel like it" but because it has to be done before these people hurt other people. i think the majority of the cops and other law enforcers don't go out and kill people for fun, they do it because they have to do it. you are correct, "the right thing was not to speed in the first place" but if you see lights behind, the right thing to do is pull over.

Me and another Busa passed a cop headed towards us, and we were side by side at 190mph!!!  2 of our other buddies behind us not racing us, said the cop came to a stop in the middle of the road after we passed him.  Stared at his sterring wheel for a couple seconds, put it back in drive, and then kept on going without turning for us.  They thought he was in shock.  
devil.gif

AAAssjani.gif

blues.gif
Yea! two busa's mashing down the freeway doing 190mph!!!!.....
And let me guess, you came to the end of the road and stopped withing 10 feet just like in Biker Boys LOL.

Dude let me tell you something and you can take it any way you want....You should look at it as I'm helping you fit in.

First off, this board is full of racers dragers and mech's, cops, all kinds of real people who live in reality.

Second off this is a very mature board which means these kiddy stories of you doing 190 on the freeway neck and neck with a busa while cops look in disbelife and go about there day are...how should I say this nicely.....B**LSH*T...

Sorry dude, but if you want to fit in on this board and make riding buddies you should start by telling the truth.
You don't have to lie to kick it on this board and no one will judge you for what you really are (you know what you really are)....
I'm am going to stop here and say no more you get the picture.
Get real buddy...........
Hope to see some more beliveable post in the future from you.

Gcal

rock.gif

After all, you own the fastest fuc*)ing bike made and I know you aren't driving the speed limit all the time either... maybe you are better off dead and I won't have any compassion for you either...

Not taking this personally... just think your post is somewhat... not making perfect sense. After all, there are plenty of people out there that think you riding your bike at 150 is endangering lives as well and they wish you would be dead I am sure...

Cloud
dude, take a chill pill man. you are correct, i'm not riding at the speed limit at all times but i only speed when it's the right time and place to do it. if a cops pulls me over, i would stop!!! i don't give a sh!t if you have compassion for me or not when i'm dead, you don't know me and i don't remember asking you for compassion if something happens to me. my post "not making perfect sense", that's cool dude, you don't have to agree with me, it's just my opinion. isn't that what you asked for when you started this thread? "there are plenty of people out there that think you riding your bike at 150 is endangering lives as well and they wish you would be dead i am sure", they can think all they want but one thing for sure is they will never see me endanger other lives accept my own when i'm speeding on a lonely highway.

rock.gif

Cloud
dude, take a chill pill man.  you are correct, i'm not riding at the speed limit at all times but i only speed when it's the right time and place to do it.  if a cops pulls me over, i would stop!!!  i don't give a sh!t if you have compassion for me or not when i'm dead, you don't know me and i don't remember asking you for compassion if something happens to me.  my post "not making perfect sense", that's cool dude, you don't have to agree with me, it's just my opinion.  isn't that what you asked for when you started this thread?  "there are plenty of people out there that think you riding your bike at 150 is endangering lives as well and they wish you would be dead i am sure", they can think all they want but one thing for sure is they will never see me endanger other lives accept my own when i'm speeding on a lonely highway.
sorry dude... didn't mean to get huffy and puffy wit ya... I just thought you may be a little hipicritical on this subject...

After all, its okay to go 150, but not okay to run from the cops... If you wreck at 150, the accident will probably be just as bad as when you cross that stick at 150...

You are right... that is your opinion and I did ask for it. I take my harsh tone back
smile.gif
Dude, if anyone on this board were to go down in a wreck, I would feel for them (that includes the nail stick too...) I just thought you were being a little ridiculous with your comments on not feeling for those that did go down by the stick... (like you and everyone else in this world hasn't corssed the line at times...)

Cloud

<!--EDIT|Cloud9
Reason for Edit: None given...|1083195050 -->

Me and another Busa passed a cop headed towards us, and we were side by side at 190mph!!!  2 of our other buddies behind us not racing us, said the cop came to a stop in the middle of the road after we passed him.  Stared at his sterring wheel for a couple seconds, put it back in drive, and then kept on going without turning for us.  They thought he was in shock.  
devil.gif

AAAssjani.gif

blues.gif
Yea! two busa's mashing down the freeway doing 190mph!!!!.....
And let me guess, you came to the end of the road and stopped withing 10 feet just like in Biker  Boys LOL.

Dude let me tell you something and you can take it any way you want....You should look at it as I'm helping you fit in.

First off, this board is full of racers dragers and mech's, cops, all kinds of real people who live in reality.

Second off this is a very mature board which means these kiddy stories of you doing 190 on the freeway neck and neck with a busa while cops look in disbelife and go about there day are...how should I say this nicely.....B**LSH*T...

Sorry dude, but if you want to fit in on this board and make riding buddies you should start by telling the truth.
You don't have to lie to kick it on this board and no one will judge you for what you really are (you know what you really are)....
I'm am going to stop here and say no more you get the picture.
Get real buddy...........
Hope to see some more beliveable post in the future from you.

Gcal
"stopped within 10 feet just like in biker boys", yep, that poop was funny!

rock.gif

Cloud
dude, take a chill pill man.  you are correct, i'm not riding at the speed limit at all times but i only speed when it's the right time and place to do it.  if a cops pulls me over, i would stop!!!  i don't give a sh!t if you have compassion for me or not when i'm dead, you don't know me and i don't remember asking you for compassion if something happens to me.  my post "not making perfect sense", that's cool dude, you don't have to agree with me, it's just my opinion.  isn't that what you asked for when you started this thread?  "there are plenty of people out there that think you riding your bike at 150 is endangering lives as well and they wish you would be dead i am sure", they can think all they want but one thing for sure is they will never see me endanger other lives accept my own when i'm speeding on a lonely highway.
sorry dude... didn't mean to get huffy and puffy wit ya... I just thought you may be a little hipicritical on this subject...

After all, its okay to go 150, but not okay to run from the cops... If you wreck at 150, the accident will probably be just as bad as when you cross that stick at 150...

You are right... that is your opinion and I did ask for it. I take my harsh tone back
smile.gif
Dude, if anyone on this board were to go down in a wreck, I would feel for them (that includes the nail stick too...) I just thought you were being a little ridiculous with your comments on not feeling for those that did go down by the stick... (like you and everyone else in this world hasn't corssed the line at times...)

Cloud
it's cool cloud. we are going to agree and disagree every now and then on this board. sorry, if my post seems harsh but like i say it's just my opinion and it's no better or worst than yours.

I feel I must share an account of how Arizona police depts are dealing with pursuits including bikes...

A few months ago I was pulling out of a restaurant just north of Phoenix, AZ in an area that is patrolled by the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office (MCSO).  As I started to pull out of the parkinglot to go west I looked to the east and noticed flashing lights, I soon realized they were approaching me.  I sat there for the few seconds it took them to catch up and pass me.  About 20 feet in front of the lead patrol car was a very blury bike.  I turned on my scanner and listened to the "Pursuit".  The lead car was calling locations and speed while waiting for the helocopter to arrive.  The bike was in excess of 140mph the deputy had is spedo burried and was barely keeping up.  They followed the bike over 50 miles, which he covered in less than 30 minutes with turns and all.  They were given the order to use stop stix on the bike.  They driver somewhat slowed down by this time, went into the dirt and missed them, he managed to get back on the road, then a mile later decided to pull over and surrender.

Point of my story... Arizona has and WILL use Stop Stix on motorcycles.  There have been several incidents in town where they have used them on bikes and caused major accidents.

I'd have to agree with stopping... it's better than being tasered and handcuffed with broken bones...

wup.
Wupatki,

Not all agencies will use stix and it is against department policy to deploy them on MC's. I am a disappointed that MCSO deployed them since they can be fatal on a motorcycle. Running is a normal human reaction to a threat. It activates our fight-flight instinct. Most people overcome this because we have the ability to control our emotions and know we are in the worng to begin with. We have already weighed the possible consequences before deciding to exceed the limit, and accept responsibility for our actions. But some people initially react and run, knowing or feeling that they are getting a ticket or worse. And even a lesser number of people, what we call "Dedicated", will run no matter what the cost to themselves or others.

By the way, did you buy your Busa yet?

Back