What Octane Gas do you Run?

Cecil_Stringer

Donating Member
Registered
Oddly enough today I heard from someone that they use 89 octane for street use and 87 for strip.
I have always used 93 octane...
The bikes are normally aspirated (GSXR1000 & Hayabusa).
His bikes are fast and he is well respected within the circles of drag racing.

My question is...

What Gas do you run in your bike?

When (if ever) do you change to a different gas?

What is your logic behind this?

The subject has been beat to death just like which oil is best.

The bike is made to run on 87. Higher octane doesn't make a bigger explosion and more power. It's the fuels resistance to detonation. Get too high and you'll lose power and eventually cause more carbon deposits in your engine. Of course you'll also flushing money down the toilet.

The overall opinion in every mile long thread is that a STOCK Busa performs better on the lower 87 octane. More importantly a few people have claimed that low rpm stumble on acceleration disappeared after they switched from 93 to 87 octane.

Here's a good read:

Of course there's always the handful who feel they're "Giving my baby a treat" by paying 30¢ a gallon more for less HP.
tounge.gif

I run 87 for the first time a few weeks ago after only running 93 in my bike since I have owned it. I picked up 2mph an 1 tenth of second in the 1/8 mile with the 87. Needless to say now I only run 87 in my busa.
smile.gif

i read everyones, claims about the different octane. so i changed to 87 from the high stuff. seemed to backfire more, and not run so smooth, so after about 3 tanks of the 87, i went back to high stuff, seems to run bettter.
blush.gif

Busa's don't backfire.
If your bike is backfiring it's time to tear into it and find out whats wrong. If it's under warranty take it to the dealer and tell them to fix it.

Just keep in mind that the Manual says a "MINIMUM OF 87 OCTANE" not "USE ONLY 87 OCTANE"
biggrin.gif

I use the mid-grade 89 or 87 octane. No point in just wasting money needlessly... I have a fuggin Infiniti that Demands premium fuel only.... so yeah it's a touchy damn subject.
laugh.gif

When I first got the Busa though I only used premium in the mistaken belief that it would make more power. You figure AVGAS made my old 750 run better, it was High Octane... But apparantly not...

The subject has been beat to death just like which oil is best.

The bike is made to run on 87.  Higher octane doesn't make a bigger explosion and more power.  It's the fuels resistance to detonation.  Get too high and you'll lose power and eventually cause more carbon deposits in your engine.  Of course you'll also flushing money down the toilet.

The overall opinion in every mile long thread is that a STOCK Busa performs better on the lower 87 octane.  More importantly a few people have claimed that low rpm stumble on acceleration disappeared after they switched from 93 to 87 octane.

Here's a good read:

Of course there's always the handful who feel they're "Giving my baby a treat" by paying 30¢ a gallon more for less HP.
tounge.gif
True but my Silkolene Synthetic is still best...

You'll come around...
smile.gif

87 - stock busa timing is setup for it - explodes quicker - higher = slower piston pushing in my mind

87 for normal people and normal busa compression..

go premium if you are a big spender, but you are throwing money away - plus you are becoming the "higher octane-better/faster/healthier ride" sucker for the gazoline mob group.. THIS IS THE REAL MAFIA!
sad.gif

..no pun intended, but this issue has been covered extensively here and everywhere else..

87 Octane for internally-stock, normally aspirated Busa engines will produce maximum power at minimum expense. You might "hedge your bet" with 89 during the hottest summer months as added protection against pre-ignition/detonation but 91 and higher is a waste of power and money for healthy Busa engines.

I never relized that I am throwing money away using 93 I guess I will switch to 87 or 89. Thanks for the info...
biggrin.gif

<!--EDIT|henryace
Reason for Edit: "darn typos..."|1097759118 -->

Go over to WV and get some straight moonshine and put in her. Runs good and I just love the blue flames shooting out. Just a word of cation unplug your TRE. It will cause the bike to hiccup at low RPMs
drinka.gif

i use 93... i know it does nothing for performance , may even hurt it a bit. However , my bud werx at the refinery here and tells me the deposits left from burning reg vs prem are much dirtier. goodenuff4me. sj

i use 93... i know it does nothing for performance , may even hurt it a bit. However , my bud werx at the refinery here and tells me the deposits left from burning reg vs prem are much dirtier. goodenuff4me. sj
deposites on stuff can be cleaned or replaced. all the time for my fun, can't. hehehehe
smile.gif
IMHO

Back