Dewie went down

dewie

Registered
Hey guys,
It's been a while. Haven't had much time to be able to come to the forum. On June 27th I left for my bike trip to go through Montana and Idaho. On the way back home on June 30th I was 10 km from home on a single lane 80 km/hr road. Me and my buddies approached a slow moving gravel truck and I pulled out to pass him. Without notice he turned left directly in front of me. The only choice I had was to slow down as fast as I could which put me into an endo. They estimate I went from 85 km to 20 or 30 km an hour in a matter of 60 feet. I struck the truck's rear tandem axle with the nose of the bike and the top of my head. I think I went unconscious for a few seconds and when I woke up I found out I could move my arms but couldn't feel or move anything from the chest down. The cops and ambulance came and told me the truck didn't have any working brake or signal lights. I was air lifted to a hospital in Calgary. My injuries include that my T3 vertebrae burst, and T4 cracked leaving me with complete paralysis from the armpit line down. I also have multiple broken ribs, cracked sternum, broken wrist, separated shoulder, torn rotator cuff as well as bruising and swelling. Everyone figures that the quality of gear that I had saved my life. I'm expected to be in the hospital until the end of October. To see a few pictures of the trip and to join a support group you can go to facebook group "Friends and Family of Duane Burr. Also attached are some pics of the aftermath. Please send prayers to me and my expecting wife.

026.jpg

031.jpg

037.jpg

025.jpg

Last edited:
Dewie...dude; that's horrible.

I'll have to check out the FB stuff later, but jeez, man...I'm so sorry. :(

Look forward to more information about your prognosis for percentage recovery.

Are you able to feel and move now?

Prayers are with you my friend!

Sorry to hear of the accident, prayers to a full recovery.
Prayers to all your family and friends in this time of healing.
Godspeed to you.
Bubba

Thank heavens that you survived. Praying for your complete recovery.

I'm with you. I went through about the same thing as you. Fractured right for arm, torn on the right hand, 8 stitches right for head. Split pelvis, torn left ACL. 3 weeks in the hospital, another 4 weeks in wheel chair, 2 more weeks on crutches. 3 months of physical therapy, now I'm back on my new 09. Learned a hard lesson, treat everyone on the road as an idiot who can't drive and keep your distance at ALL TIMES.
Wish you the best of luck and prayer for a complete recovery.

Very sorry to hear about this....can only pray that paralysis is temporary and that you recover fully.:please:

i am very sorry to hear this. just try to get a little better every day and hopefully you will be home soon with your family

prayers sent, a similar accident killed a friend of mine, glad you are alive, God speed on recovery, I'll pray for your full recovery..bike can be fixed..

holy $hit...Im glad your alive to tell us about it, I hope you will get your motor skillz back soon, and be able to have fun and play with your new born..my wife is due in 2 weeks...
bike looks fixable...I hope you are able to get on it again someday:beerchug:

My thoughts are with you and your family. Try and keep positive and focus on the rehab. Please keep us updated on your condition regarding the paralysis and other injuries.

Were there charges laid against the driver/owner of the truck?

Back