Went down today.

After running the accident back through my head a zillion times I have figured out why a front end slip on gravel which should have been recovered or at most a low side to the left, turned into what was essentially a high side to the right. I had this vague memory of actually accelerating as the front end slipped and that is exactly what I did. I had just come off the highway and I use a wrist pressure relieving device on my throttle. I won't say the name but you all know what it is. I always rotate it out of the way when I come off the highway but this time I forgot to in my thoughts of completing my ride and getting home. (first mistake) As I rounded the left turn and slowed down for the upcoming stop sign in first gear I had the front brake applied and ran over some small landscaping rocks. When the front end slid I instinctively tightened my grip on the bars and hit the device just enough to cause the bike to accelerate. I then gripped harder and of course the bike accelerated harder and whipped to the right and threw me down. In all the accident happend in about half a second and left me on the ground stunned, in severe pain and wondering what the hell just happened.

In hindsight, over the last 34000 miles I remember hitting this device by accident a couple of times and really didn't think anything of it because it was just a quick oops with no consequences. Should have thrown it away then because maybe I'm just too forgetful or it's just plain dangerous. (Second Mistake) Unfortunately under the wrong circumstances the consequences were different.

Just wanted to share my experience with others so they don't make the same mistake I did. A Throttlemeister is definitely in my future because the other device has been thrown in the trash.

BTW the hip is mostly healed and my shoulder is getting there. Looking forward to getting back on the horse. Normally by this time of the year I have around 3K miles of riding in.

Back