2003 Gsxr1000

Looks clean, there is no way back now… go all the way :super:

Thank you sir
and yeah, I'm in it too far to stop now, lol
I know the fork seals will need done, and the stock rear shock is tired.
So after I have it running and riding, I'm going to get an aftermarket rear shock with remote preload adjustment, and see what I want to change in the forks.
And some rearsets, and aftermarket adjustable steering dampner...and....
lol, do any of us ever really finish any of them?

Last edited:
That always seems the way it goes....

But getting it right is important as well....and you'll thank yourself for doing it when you make your first wheelie video with it...

Lmao!
Yes, I will!
This one is the typical old school 1k, which I consider the perfect balance of power to weight ratio, for a good handling hoon machine!
Vs the '18 Gsxr1k I ride...which the best one word descrption is...violent.
Absoloutely fantastic to rip and roar through corners and straights alike...but light switch on power, which makes wheelies too sketchy for my liking, and I really do very few on it anymore as a result.
So I am looking Very forward to having another 1k that feels quick(and is), but is Much more managable on one wheel at any speed.

I got the 2 stainless steel bolts yesterday that I'de been waiting on for the rear caliper.
The 4 oem black oxide bolts were fine, but I have been replacing oem fasteners on all of my bikes for many years with ss.
I can get most of it locally, but occasionally need to order uncommon sizes.
The weight is basically the same, of course they don't corrode, and I like the finish(I don't replace specialty or high strength bolts with ss either).
Little details that I think make it a cleaner assembly when you look closely.
Anyway, the rear caliper is rebuilt, has sintered Ebc pads, and has a Spiegler ss line to match the front.
I have to rebuild the rear MC(I have a Brakecrafters kit), and order a new oem rear resivor(as I make a list of other oem things that I need. Shipping is basically $20 no matter what, and I could have saved over $80 in that if I'de have planned better, by ordering this, forgetting that, and ordering again, as one part won't work without the other, lol, dummy).

20231110_163226.jpg

20231110_164909.jpg

20231110_164857.jpg

Gas Cap
My gas tank is currently at the powder coaters.
It rode around in my friend's tractor trailer for over 2 weeks, through 12 states...and couldn't make it an hour away, lmao.
It turns out a local powder coater didn't go out of business either, they just moved...5 miles from my house.
I took it there last week, and they said 15 business days, as they have so much work, maybe sooner, but I'm in no hurry.
The gas tank is being done in satin black, with a light textured coating, and uv protection/guaranteed not to fade, chip, or scratch, and they use it on truck suspension...perfect!
lol
The fuel pump looks new, and the bike ran great, so that leaves the gas cap.
The gas cap had peeling paint, stripped bolts, and was just really cruddy, so I took it apart and cleaned it, and got some new stainless steel mounting bolts.
If the vent was blocked the fuel could stop flowing, so the cap needed going through to make sure it was working correctly.
I was going to paint it black, and may still in the future, but for now, I'm just going to put several invisible coats of matte clear from a rattle can on it.
That will be the next warm and dry day, let dry a couple days and repeat.
These are much more simple than they look, and this it completely disassembled, minus driving the pin out of the ring for the cap, or knocking out the lock cylinder, neither of which was needed.
It's funny how many parts are in there.

Screenshot_20231121-075550_Gallery.jpg

20231120_195639.jpg

20231120_195633.jpg

20231120_195636.jpg

I just realized that I forgot to take the paint off of the small cover for the lock cylinder, lol, dummy (top left)
The rubber gasket also cleaned up like new.

View attachment 1673031

View attachment 1673032
Cleans up nicely.....it would be cool if you could have it anodized very faint gold as it looks pretty cool in it's natural state in the picture.

Would give it an exotic look.....

Replaced more cruddy steel bolts with stainless steel.
I like ss the way the rich guys here like titanium, lol.
I hate rusty or oxidized fasteners, so all my bikes have always ended up with alot of it.
This bike had lived outside for a while too, but all signs of that have or will be repaired or replaced before it's done.
These bolts hold the headlight bracket to the frame.

20231201_125957.jpg

Last edited:
Back