Kawasaki Concours

Turns out...I'm just an idiot...the key works fine...only I didn't know how to use it correctly, lol.
The key Only comes out in the FSS position. It will Not come out in the Off position(who knew, lmao).
FSS is on the right, ON center, OFF left(for those who don't know).
Also, the key must be depressed to activate the ignition.
Once I found out that the fob sends a signal to a solenoid, that mechanically unlocks the key cylinder, and lets it turn, it made sense.
But, if the key isn't depressed, then the screen won't turn on, the cylinder stays locked, but...the key will still turn 360° and ratchet as a safety against stripping.
So that was throwing me off(until I read how and how it worked).
I also momentarily unplugged the gray plug in the wiring harness on the left side, near the ram-air tube, under the black plastic cover with 2 other inline plugs.
That resets the ignition electrinics.
But, I'm sure you knew that, I didn't, lol.
I've been too busy fixing other things.
I had apparently just been getting lucky on my test rides, pushing and turning the key until something happened...assuming I had the 'stove pipe key issue'...and didn't.
I'll take the stupidity on the chin and smile...knowing I don't have to buy more parts or do more work.
I'm still going to paint the bar risers though, as they come off easily.
Well, know you know how it operates. LOL! Sorry to hear about your troubles with the “stove knob” operation.

I finished the bike yesterday, and got a Va State Inspection sticker(required yearly).
Everything works and it rides great.
I still have new brake pads to put on, they aren't needed, but the new pads are an upgrade, and should shorten stops.
The mods are(so far, lol)

Shoodanben Engineering ecu flash,
(Hammer tune for full BW exhaust).
Full Black Widow exhaust, with baffle currently in the muffler.
Bmc race air filter(reuseable, maybe a hp).
Radiator guard.
Oil filter guard.
Top case with backrest pad.
Cut stock windshield.
Pro-Grip 761 grips.
Aftermarket seat(not sure who made it, extremely comfortable, was on it when I got it).
Battery Tender pigtail.
Tank grip pads.
All reflectors removed, including cutting the one off the bottom of the mudflap(yes, this is a mod, as is tinting the Black Widow logo on the muffler lmao).
Engine Ice coolant.
I have 90° valve stems to put in whenever I need tires again, these only have a few hundred on them so far.
This bike rides and handles very well.
It's obviously no Busa, but it has a strong engine, and the big bike feel, but is still very agile.
It is so comfortable, and it'll rail a corner.
I need to paint the handlebar risers black too, and I need to save my mod money for Gixxerhp's plug n play full led lighting kit next.

Screenshot_20220916-175906_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure how I missed this entire thread but that windshield looks 10x better after the cut. I'm typically an all black kinda guy as I'm sure you have seen, but I really like that color also.

For an old man's bike like you said, that certainly is one of the better looking ones in my opinion.

Not sure how I missed this entire thread but that windshield looks 10x better after the cut. I'm typically an all black kinda guy as I'm sure you have seen, but I really like that color also.

For an old man's bike like you said, that certainly is one of the better looking ones in my opinion.
This is the next best picture I could find. Then Connie called...

20201220_134612-jpg.jpg

View attachment 1655642

Cory Parker.jpg

Last edited:

Thanks man
It's great for what it is, especially 2up, and no regrets...but I couldn't have it as my only bike.
I'm glad I have the 1k to ride for the acceleration and thrill.
Piped, tuned, with nearly 160whp and 110 trq, and at 700lbs + ....it's really impressive...but no ZX14, lol

Thanks man
It's great for what it is, especially 2up, and no regrets...but I couldn't have it as my only bike.
I'm glad I have the 1k to ride for the acceleration and thrill.
Piped, tuned, with nearly 160whp and 110 trq, and at 700lbs + ....it's really impressive...but no ZX14, lol
One of the benefits of Steve's flash that I have heard about, not witnessed is that the motor will run cooler... have you noticed any changes? Example... how fast the fan comes on when you stop in traffic.

Did you wrap the header?

It does run noticeably cooler.
I meant to do before and after checks with a temperature gun, but didn't remember until I was taking it apart.
So I have no facts to back that up.
It does idle much longer now before the fans come on, and the temperature of the heat radiating out of the fairings is definately lower.
I rode this bike stock on days in the 90's with high humidity, and could feel the heat coming out of it.
I rode it after on as hot of a day and engine heat was obviously there, but not really noticeable on such a hot day.
The digital temperature bar runs one lower than before now as well.
I also didn't want to wrap the headers, as it puts more heat out of the tail pipe/muffler.
Normally that's fine, but on the Concours, I didn't want to heat up that side case any more than it already is, or have any more heat in hot spots near the passenger, who may/may not feel that sitting in traffic.

It does run noticeably cooler.
I meant to do before and after checks with a temperature gun, but didn't remember until I was taking it apart.
So I have no facts to back that up.
It does idle much longer now before the fans come on, and the temperature of the heat radiating out of the fairings is definately lower.
I rode this bike stock on days in the 90's with high humidity, and could feel the heat coming out of it.
I rode it after on as hot of a day and engine heat was obviously there, but not really noticeable on such a hot day.
The digital temperature bar runs one lower than before now as well.
I also didn't want to wrap the headers, as it puts more heat out of the tail pipe/muffler.
Normally that's fine, but on the Concours, I didn't want to heat up that side case any more than it already is, or have any more heat in hot spots near the passenger, who may/may not feel that sitting in traffic.
I have a laser temp sensor... will do some careful monitoring and try to get baseline temps figured or averaged out. What I really want to know is what each bar in the temperature gauge means as far as the range of it goes. Just slowing down on a hot day and then parking in my garage will often times turn my fan on.

The good news is it cooled off... Hurricane Kay was a weather changer... a new riding season that is pretty comfortable has just begun. I can drive home from work and not sweat it like I did just a few weeks ago.

I have a laser temp sensor... will do some careful monitoring and try to get baseline temps figured or averaged out. What I really want to know is what each bar in the temperature gauge means as far as the range of it goes. Just slowing down on a hot day and then parking in my garage will often times turn my fan on.

The good news is it cooled off... Hurricane Kay was a weather changer... a new riding season that is pretty comfortable has just begun. I can drive home from work and not sweat it like I did just a few weeks ago.

With the flash and no catalytic converter, you should be able to pull into your garage and idle for a minute before the fans would come on.
Less heat off the bike really makes a difference in that sweating too, lol.

Thank you sir
It needs a good cleaning(not that I'm picky).
I also noticed the valve cover is damp, so I'm going to order a gasket, and the rest of the seals there today.
I'm goin to flush the radiator(vinegar and distilled water), and use Engine Ice.
I plan to send my ecu out for a flash once my exhaust shows up.
You will be surprised by this discovery... I have had the binder in my possession that documents all the money spent getting this Connie fixed up and dialed in since I bought it that was put together by the original owner. What I found today was amazing! I have read through this binder before and never noticed 2 documents/. The big one is... the ECM was reflashed by Guhl Motors back in 2012 for $375. The sticker on the ECM says... off road use only... I have always thought my Connie ran just fine... I can't believe I never read this work order / receipt in the binder before... I have looked through it numerous times. Add to that... the valves were set at 16,880 miles at a shop in Reno where the bike was purchased and many accessories were installed. I never noticed this page in the laminated pages inside the binder before either... I better start paying attention !! So, the other day at 50,000 miles I had the valves checked and they were all within spec... hmmm... I like that... and all that worry for nothing with those miles. So... just waiting on the header from Black Widow. Don't know if it will change the way it runs or not... I don't know the specs of the flash as far as fuel mapping and ignition advance goes... I don't know how it compare to Ivans tune, or Steves... I was going to give Ivans flash a try as recommended by one of my Concours club members out here. I will probably just stay with Guhl Motors flash for now.

The Black Widow header just showed up via UPS... that was fast... like 3 days... must have some units stored here in the USA.

Last edited:
I traded one dinosaur for another, my 2020 Yamaha Raptor 700se 4wheeler/atv...for a 2012 Kawasaki Concours.
I had nowhere good left to ride the 4whlr, and wanted to sell or trade for a good sport tourer.
The Gsxr1k isn't going anywhere, the 4whlr was paid for, and I was looking for a good Budget long distance and 2up ride, that was not a cruiser.
Yes, there are better sport touring bikes out there I'm sure, but for the money, nah, this thing is pretty good.
Trade in on my Raptor was $7140
Dealer wanted $8399 for the Concours.
We did a straight up trade.
They put a temporary tag on it too(traded in NC but live in VA), but went to the Va Dmv yesterday too.
Tag and title fee $350, plus $40 in tax.
Plus, liability insurance is $124 a year, lol, Thank You God.
So I'm $500 and a 400 mile round trip into this thing, no complaints.
It has 14k miles, new tires, oil change and brake/clutch fluid, a clean title, aftermarket seat(very comfortable), a radiator guard, grip pads on the gas tank, battery tender pigtail, aftermarket top case, a Ram Mount(taking off and buying a QuadLock), drop pegs that I already drug the road with, but fortunately found the stock pegs in one of the side cases, along with another key and a cover.
The exhaust is stock...so I already ordered a full BlackWidow, lol.
I'm going to get a reuseable air filter, a Shoodaben ecu flash, am going to email Core-Moto and Spiegler about ss lines, and hopefully upgrade the front pads.
I have only rode it a few miles, and made no suspension adjustments yet, but I am really impressed with the handling and stock power...all things considered.
I was told it was black, as it looked in the pictures the dealer sent, and they had another used black Concours there...however, this one turns reddish green in the sun, and is a black/burgundy color otherwise.
Oh well, I don't care, it looks black or dark enough when I'm riding it, lol.

View attachment 1653314

View attachment 1653315

View attachment 1653316
I used to have this exact color.

You will be surprised by this discovery... I have had the binder in my possession that documents all the money spent getting this Connie fixed up and dialed in since I bought it that was put together by the original owner. What I found today was amazing! I have read through this binder before and never noticed 2 documents/. The big one is... the ECM was reflashed by Guhl Motors back in 2012 for $375. The sticker on the ECM says... off road use only... I have always thought my Connie ran just fine... I can't believe I never read this work order / receipt in the binder before... I have looked through it numerous times. Add to that... the valves were set at 16,880 miles at a shop in Reno where the bike was purchased and many accessories were installed. I never noticed this page in the laminated pages inside the binder before either... I better start paying attention !! So, the other day at 50,000 miles I had the valves checked and they were all within spec... hmmm... I like that... and all that worry for nothing with those miles. So... just waiting on the header from Black Widow. Don't know if it will change the way it runs or not... I don't know the specs of the flash as far as fuel mapping and ignition advance goes... I don't know how it compare to Ivans tune, or Steves... I was going to give Ivans flash a try as recommended by one of my Concours club members out here. I will probably just stay with Guhl Motors flash for now.

The Black Widow header just showed up via UPS... that was fast... like 3 days... must have some units stored here in the USA.

Yeah, they ship fast!
You should notice the bike not putting off as much heat with the catalytic converter gone.
That's great news on the service records too.

Back