Kawasaki Concours

Coolant flushed, once with with white vinegar and distilled water, and very little color of the coolant that was in it came out in the first flush.
The second flush was just water, and came out clean and clear.
The coolant I originally drained was clean and had certainly been changed at some point.
The previous owner definately kept up with the maintenance.
I refilled it with Engine Ice, test rode it, and let a friend ride it.
Wow, with the flash and pipe, the bike is noticeably stronger, and runs cooler(catalytic converter gone, fans on sooner in flash, and Engine Ice).
The exhaust has a deep tone, without being too loud, I've yet to try it without the baffle.
A big improvement in midrange torque, and smooth on/off throttle response.
I have new front and rear brake pads to go on next, right after I tackle the hardest part of all this...getting the fairings back on, lol.
I'll be cutting the windshield this week as well.

View attachment 1654939

View attachment 1654940
Awesome report ! As far as cutting the windshield goes... My Concours came with 2 windshields. The one that is on there is a Slip Stream brand... the other one is cut down at least by 6 inches and I have never mounted since I obtained it. Not sure what it is... I will have to pull it out and take a look at it.

Yes, it does, especially raised, but it rides great without it.
So I am going to cut it a few inches above the dash in the lowered position.
Mine came with a “Vstream” screen that’s huge and is nice and quiet behind in the up position, but I get pretty hot in the summer. I wish I had the OEM one with the little “window” to test and see if it’s too much louder than my current setup.

Awesome report ! As far as cutting the windshield goes... My Concours came with 2 windshields. The one that is on there is a Slip Stream brand... the other one is cut down at least by 6 inches and I have never mounted since I obtained it. Not sure what it is... I will have to pull it out and take a look at it.

Thanks
Mine came with a “Vstream” screen that’s huge and is nice and quiet behind in the up position, but I get pretty hot in the summer. I wish I had the OEM one with the little “window” to test and see if it’s too much louder than my current setup.

Stock shield is awful.
I'm 5'10", and can look directly over the top when the shield is at it's lowest.
Raise the shield when riding and the wind pushes your head toward it, and buffets your helmet around.
A friend who is 6'2" rode it and says the same.
I have no problem riding with the windshield off, and am putting it back on cut mainly for looks, otherwise it would stay off.
It is very hot riding behind the shield, and I don't like looking through it anyway.

Thanks

Stock shield is awful.
I'm 5'10", and can look directly over the top when the shield is at it's lowest.
Raise the shield when riding and the wind pushes your head toward it, and buffets your helmet around.
I have no problem riding with the windshield off, and am putting it back on cut mainly for looks, otherwise it would stay off.
It is very hot riding behind the shield, and I don't like looking through it anyway.
I know the OEM shield was “updated” and my 2016 is supposed to be the newer style with a vent on it to compensate for the “vacuum” that can be created behind screen.

I thought that vacuum was only @ 160 and above.
Just about everything on wheels creates a little bit of vacuum somewhere even a 100 mph...
Thanks

Stock shield is awful.

I like my after market windshield... if I want air I just lower the shield.

One gripe I have is that it doesn't work to wear a faceshield in the up position because the air dumps right on top of it. So, I don't use a face shield anymore and depend on the windscreen to deflect all the small objects that occasionally come my way.

Oil filter guard.
Just an aluminum sleeve/cup with a hose clamp, but could save the day.
The oil drain plug and oil filter are very easy to get too, even with the fairings on, but the filter is low and at the front, so it's unlikely, but possible, for a rock or road debris to puncture the oil filter.
Cheap and easy, and the previous owner already put a radiator guard on it as well.

20220901_211151.jpg

20220901_211330.jpg

Oil filter guard.
The oil drain plug and oil filter are very easy to get too, even with the fairings on, but the filter is low and at the front, so it's unlikely, but possible, for a rock or road debris to puncture the oil filter.
Cheap and easy, and the previous owner already put a radiator guard on it as well.

View attachment 1655085

View attachment 1655086
That's where the oil filter is on most (older) Suzuki engines, right in the middle front.....interesting filter guard....

The key has been acting up since I got it, sticking, and not turning into place.
It's apparently a common problem on the Concours.
It's not a typical lock cylinder either, it has an electronic release for the mechanical key cylinder.
Last night it jammed, and it's preventing the bike from starting. The key won't even come out right now, lol.
So...off it has to come.
It's good it completely failed now too, as I was about to put the fairings back on, which would have been in the way.
The upper triple clamp needs removed to access the bolts holding the switch to it.
Also not bad because I've wanted to paint the upper triple clamp and factory bar risers black anyway, like different colored Concours's have, vs the silver color on mine.
Hopefully I can fix it without spending any more on it, lol.
I'm betting this bike got traded because of the mileage(14k, and they didn't want to do the valve check/adjustment), the common o-ring leak(cheap and easy fix), and the sticking Kipass Key, which apparently scares alot of people away.
But, it helped me to get a fair deal on a great bike, that had otherwise been well maintained.

Screenshot_20220906-110318_Gallery.jpg

Oil filter guard.

View attachment 1655085

View attachment 1655086
One of the first mods I did on mine! :thumbsup:

The key has been acting up since I got it, sticking, and not turning into place.
It's apparently a common problem on the Concours.
It's not a typical lock cylinder either, it has an electronic release for the mechanical key cylinder.
Last night it jammed, and it's preventing the bike from starting. The key won't even come out right now, lol.
So...off it has to come.
It's good it completely failed now too, as I was about to put the fairings back on, which would have been in the way.
The upper triple clamp needs removed to access the bolts holding the switch to it.
Also not bad because I've wanted to paint the upper triple clamp and factory bar risers black anyway, like different colored Concours's have, vs the silver color on mine.
Hopefully I can fix it without spending any more on it, lol.
I'm betting this bike got traded because of the mileage(14k, and they didn't want to do the valve check/adjustment), the common o-ring leak(cheap and easy fix), and the sticking Kipass Key, which apparently scares alot of people away.
But, it helped me to get a fair deal on a great bike, that had otherwise been well maintained.

View attachment 1655119
Curious to see what you fix for the sticking “stove knob” is.

Man, that windscreen (was) huge. Do you have a buyer for that equally huge (and ugly) top box? :)

Yes, the windshield was big, but I like it now. It looks better than I thought it would.
It is also in it's lowest position, and will go up another 4"-6"
I don't like the looks of the top box either.
But, my girlfriend likes the backrest, the storage is useful...and a backrest to replace it with is about $200...so the box will do for now, lol.

Last edited:
Curious to see what you fix for the sticking “stove knob” is.

Turns out...I'm just an idiot...the key works fine...only I didn't know how to use it correctly, lol.
The key Only comes out in the FSS position. It will Not come out in the Off position(who knew, lmao).
FSS is on the right, ON center, OFF left(for those who don't know).
Also, the key must be depressed to activate the ignition.
Once I found out that the fob sends a signal to a solenoid, that mechanically unlocks the key cylinder, and lets it turn, it made sense.
But, if the key isn't depressed, then the screen won't turn on, the cylinder stays locked, but...the key will still turn 360° and ratchet as a safety against stripping.
So that was throwing me off(until I read how and how it worked).
I also momentarily unplugged the gray plug in the wiring harness on the left side, near the ram-air tube, under the black plastic cover with 2 other inline plugs.
That resets the ignition electrinics.
But, I'm sure you knew that, I didn't, lol.
I've been too busy fixing other things.
I had apparently just been getting lucky on my test rides, pushing and turning the key until something happened...assuming I had the 'stove pipe key issue'...and didn't.
I'll take the stupidity on the chin and smile...knowing I don't have to buy more parts or do more work.
I'm still going to paint the bar risers though, as they come off easily.

Yes, the windshield was big, but I like it now. It looks better than I thought it would.
It is also in it's lowest position, and will go up another 4"-6"
I don't like the looks of the top box either.
But, my girlfriend likes the backrest, the storage is useful...and a backrest to replace it with is about $200...so the box will do for now, lol.
Besides the top box will give you somewhere to put your feet for your stand up wheelies....

Back