2003 Gsxr1000

sixpack577

Top Gun
Donating Member
Registered
I traded my very nice Kawaski Concours for this beater 1000 last december.
It runs good...but has seen better days, lol.
Why? Well, for one, it isn't every day that someone wants to trade a Gsxr1k for a Concours, lol, so he had that going for him.
He was over 6'5" and 250lbs+, so he needed something more comfortable.
He was also a nurse and seemed like a decent guy, so I didn't mind being on the bad end of a trade.
More so, my girlfriend's 13 year old son wants to learn to ride...And wrench.
So, I thought about it, and...perfect.
I love Gsxr1k's, and even though 03/04 is my least favorite year, lol, I see the potential in this bike, and more so in a young man with a desire to learn.
I've already bought a service manual, and Alot of parts for it.
I still have more to get, but I will be buying the rest in the next few weeks.
It came with a brand new set of flat black fairings too, so I may paint the tank to match, we'll see.
Anyway, this is the new parts plan;
All 3 brake rotors(aftermarket rotors will weigh less too), rebuild all 3 calipers, Ebc EP front pads, sintered rear pads, stainless steel lines, rebuild rear master cylinder, buy a used Brembo radial front master cylinder off another stock bike, and rebuild that.
Replace wheel, steering, and swingarm bearings.
520mm chain conversion with aluminum +2 rear sprocket, which will take a couple pounds out of the drive line.
New tires with 90° valve stems, cush drives, ProGrip 761 grips, and an ASV clutch perch.
Remove the lowering links, replace with stock.
New starter cover and stator cover, BMC race air filter, new NGK plugs, valve check/adjustment, oil and filter, new battery, Heal-Tech smart Tre with gear indicator(these ecu's cannot be flashed).
Looking at different slipons, Delkevic cf seems to be the least expansive with high quality so far(not spending full exhaust money on it).
Zero-Gravity clear, stock shaped shield.
Rebuild forks and rear shock.
New fairings, some cleaning...and all the other stuff I've forgotten...but this will get me started, lol.
So here we go...again...

20230724_220818.jpg

20230724_220623.jpg

20230724_221227.jpg

20230724_221140.jpg

Last edited:
If anyone needs a decent set of 12 year old tires, or this fabulous DooDoo tip with 'baffle'...it has only a few light scratches...these are probably going for $100 on Marketplace, lmao
Delkevic makes a nice slipon in carbon fiber, with a baffle, for $269 for a 14", and $279 for an 18"...and the used Junk I find online costs Alot more than that, so it's looking like one of them right now...this really is a budget build, not to cheap out, but to not put a fortune into a 20 year old bike either.

20230724_222326.jpg

20230724_222300.jpg

Screenshot_20230724-235805_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230724-235920_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
@sixpack577
Need any of this stuff for the project?

OEM Rear Wheel (used)
View attachment 1669085

View attachment 1669086

OEM undertail (new)
View attachment 1669087

OEM can (used)
View attachment 1669088

Yes, I will buy that muffler...IF I can find a stock midpipe for it, let me look.
The wheel, yeah, if shipping isn't $100, lol as I havnt checked, but if either wheel on this bike is bent...I won't be shocked.
I like different sprockets to play with gearing too.
The undertail, maybe that too, as one of the leds is burnt out in this HotBodies underatail, and I've yet to find anything else that'll fit in there, but, it has 4 lights, which is strange, so I may just delete 2 of them.
When you go through the rest of your spare parts, let me know what you have there too please.
Because if you want to sell some of that too, I'll probably end up buying several things, and you could put them all in one box to save time.
Thankyou sir!

Always fun to have a project...and a GSXR project is a great one to have.......

The guy that bought my old race bike had something like 20 of them-all different years and when he heard a factory GSXR race bike from 1985 was on the market he just had to have it and drove 7 hrs to get it.......most people wouldn't know just how special it was...and I miss that bike...

The only other GSXR I owned was my '02 but it had no soul....

Copy that
You mentioned you weren't in a hurry for the parts so if you can wait until September, that's when I'll do a serious inventory and report back with a complete list.
Else, anything you'd like before I'll mail those out before leaving.

I'm gonna play with the bike as it's currently set up, and if I eventually rig it for track, pretty sure I won't need any of the OEM stuff he gave me FYI

You mean this mid pipe?
I'll report back if I find another one
View attachment 1669089

Yep...that would be the one, lol.
I thought that was a full M4 from the other pictures.
No problem, I'll see if I can find one.
As for the parts, September is fine.
I have some projects that I need to finish before I really get going on the '03 anyway, so that will work out good.
I'de rather that you had time to go through it all at your pace, vs getting in a rush for no reason.

And
Since you have the stock midpipe, check and see if there are still 2 cables attached to it, that go to a servo above it.
If so, if you disconnect the cables, and leave the servo plugged in, the spring on the midpipe butterfly valve will hold the valve in it's most open position, and you won't get an FI light.
This will give you full available power at under 6k rpm, as the valve opens and closes to restrict flow and help control power.
As in, stock, I can stand it up in a 1st gear wheelie, and it's going to be super easy to keep the bike at 45mph or less.
With the cables unhooked, the same wheelie will quickly run to top speed in the gear, unless you get ahold of it and slow it down, as with the valve open(or gone) low rpm acceleration and power delivery is much more aggressive, aka better, lol
It's easy to try both ways and see how you prefer the power delivery.

If anyone needs a decent set of 12 year old tires, or this fabulous DooDoo tip with 'baffle'...it has only a few light scratches...these are probably going for $100 on Marketplace, lmao
Delkevic makes a nice slipon in carbon fiber, with a baffle, for $269 for a 14", and $279 for an 18"...and the used Junk I find online costs Alot more than that, so it's looking like one of them right now...this really is a budget build, not to cheap out, but to not put a fortune into a 20 year old bike either.

View attachment 1669081

View attachment 1669082

View attachment 1669083

View attachment 1669084
I’m really happy with the carbon muffler I bought from them for my C14. Not much louder than stock and much lighter and nicer looking.

Back