A bit of a head scratcher

This is acting weird....when it runs it is running perfectly even with the FI Light on,

Then it dies with the FI light in the LCD screen which according to the manual can be a few things, crankshaft sensor, tip over sensor, fuel injector sensors, fuel relay or ignition switch...in most of these the problem isn't intermittent...but the fuel relay could be.

But after a few minutes it will start back up with the FI light on but run and accelerate as normal...even now the FI light is out and it starts and runs as if nothing were going on....

It still could be the fuel pump which might have a fault yet...

Once I get the new relay, I'll put it in dealer mode and ride it around the neighborhood to see if it trips again...
Makes good sense. Best luck.

Took the 'ol Bumblebee out for a ride this morning.

It started right up, idled perfectly, took it out and it worked perfectly for about 15 kms, I was going up a slight hill with a curve and it "bucked once" I thought "oh, oh..."

I got about 2 more kms and the FI light started flashing but it ran....for a bit then quit....all that was in the screen was FI...it would turn over but obviously wasn't getting fuel....I sat there for a little bit and then turned on the key and the gear indicator came up and it started right up with the FI light flashing....

I figured to beat feet and try to get home and took off with the FI light still flashing...I got about 6 kms and it quit with the same scenario....

I was on the phone awaiting to get hold of CAA (AAA) and decided to try the key and the gear indicator came up and it started....back on and try to get closer.....went 3 kms and same thing, it quit with the FI light flashing and nothing in the gear indicator screen....

I figured this is it, this is as far as I get so I tried to get hold of CAA again, after a couple minutes, tried the key and I was back in business I managed to get home with the FI light flashing and a sinking feeling that it would quit again but I got all the way home..

I shut it down and when I restarted the FI light went out and it is running normally again...

I thought I may have picked up some bad fuel as I fueled it after the last ride the other day and that was the only thing different..

Then I thought it might be the fuel pump on it's way out....it gets hot, shuts down and when it cools again it starts....

In the mean time I drained the fuel and will refill with another sourced fuel supply but I figure it's the fuel pump...

If anyone recalls I had a similar issue last summer and I changed out the teabag filter and never had the issue again...that could have been a precursor to the fuel pump going....I lifted the tank and the fuel pump was cool....

All switches and everything are GTG, I checked each and everyone of them and if it had an issue, that little (-) would show up in the gear indicator screen,,,but there was nothing...
This sounds like a replay of my experience. It started at time of restart at the gas station I filled up so I also thought it was fuel quality related. I would definitely risk the $20 for another pump relay to begin with. I also found myself riding with the Fi light flashing when I had the problem.

I looked at a new complete OEM pump assembly for a good price but it said fits 2013 and up...

Is there a different pump for 2008-2012?
2013 they added abs so the pump and fuel rail elbows point to the throttle side to accommodate the abs pump and ours has the elbow pointing to the clutch side. I bought a used relay but made sure it was from a much newer bike than my 2009. I now carry a spare too. I also have the Bosch fuel pump unit sitting on the shelf that I was going to use as a replacement but never did. I doubt is the pump, but if it is, I’ll be happy to get some parts headed your way if you want to do the “filter mod” and replace the pump.

Last edited:
I don't believe there's any sensor that tells the motorcycle that the pump is not working. If you think about it and look up the codes all the FI error codes have something to do with a connection being broken or a sensor not working at all. I don't think you'll find one that says fuel pump low pressure or gas is not good.

I would sooner expect that you have a loose connection on a fuel injector, spark coil, or temperature sensor. While you could still have a fuel problem you just won't see a code from that.

Sorry for the third post. Your kickstand switch can cause the FI light to come on because it temporarily interrupts the ignition and the injections. I've had that problem before on my Gen 1 Hayabusa and it caused FI lights. Is very hard to detect because it usually acts on vibration.

Sorry for the third post. Your kickstand switch can cause the FI light to come on because it temporarily interrupts the ignition and the injections. I've had that problem before on my Gen 1 Hayabusa and it caused FI lights. Is very hard to detect because it usually acts on vibration.
I checked all the connections and switches, all checked out OK...

The odd thing, is the bike ran perfectly up to the point where it didn't...and was intermittent.....once it started, it ran perfectly minus the FI light one wouldn't think there was any problem at all...

Then it would shut down, I'd wait a bit and it would start right up and run perfectly with the FI light flashing...now when I got home and shut it off in my driveway, it started right up with no FI light at all....the fuel pump can be heard cycling as normal but when it shuts down, there is no fuel pump cycle and nothing in the LCD screen even the (-) that says there's an interruption of power...

This tells me it is something like the fuel relay....I will get another and test this out.

@mabupa , would you happen to have a part number of the aftermarket relay you picked up?

I will go this route if I'm unsuccessful at a bike dealership (non Suzuki). If any luck holds, other bikes use the same type of relay...

@mabupa , would you happen to have a part number of the aftermarket relay you picked up?

I will go this route if I'm unsuccessful at a bike dealership (non Suzuki). If any luck holds, other bikes use the same type of relay...
I went with a used OEM one. I only used the aftermarket one with my own little wiring setup for troubleshooting purpose. Not sure why Suzuki couldn’t use a generic style relay so we can go to the auto parts down the street and pick one up. If you are asking which aftermarket one I used for troubleshooting, I can take a pic of it when I get back home.

I went with a used OEM one. I only used the aftermarket one with my own little wiring setup for troubleshooting purpose. Not sure why Suzuki couldn’t use a generic style relay so we can go to the auto parts down the street and pick one up. If you are asking which aftermarket one I used for troubleshooting, I can take a pic of it when I get back home.
No, that's ok....I ordered a new OEM one...

Hopefully that cures the issue...but I think you and I had the same issue...

The new part won't be here until end May so that sucks.....

My season is short enough without anything making it shorter but such is life I guess.....

The baton will have to be happy going for rides on the garden tractor like it did today.....
Well, that’s a bummer. I’m not sure if some parts are hard to get regardless or if the supply issues are still ongoing. My concours OEM battery finally died after 7 years and I decided to replace with a factory one since they are $120 shipped and proofed to be very reliable. Took about 10 days to get a shipping notification and then the package was turned around due to the battery leaking while in transit. I called the seller and they said it would be another month to get another one shipped so I asked them to just send me a yuasa.

Well that’s a bummer. I’m not sure if some parts are hard to get regardless or if the supply issues are still ongoing. My concours OEM battery finally died after 7 years and I decided to replace with a factory one since they are $120 shipped and proofed to be very reliable. Took about 10 days to get a shipping notification and then the package was turned around due to the battery leaking while in transit. I called the seller and they said it would be another month to get another one shipped so I asked them to just send me a yuasa.
I ordered a new Yuasa for the Bumblebee as I also like OEM....it came and the darned thing was made in China....

I was going to get an Lithium battery but there are few places here to get them and have any support if anything should go wrong....I didn't want to order one on line for the same reason...

Sorry Bill, just could not help myself!
Re your bike issue . . .
I suggest you take it straight down to the nearest Suzuki dealer and trade it on a brand new 2023 BUSA!!!
This is the golden opportunity you have now, perfect excuse to get a new Busa, your wife will probably want you to get rid of that UNRELIABLE old yella n black thing, and get a nice sparkly new Busa too... ya think?

200.gif

Sorry Bill, just could not help myself!
Re your bike issue . . .
I suggest you take it straight down to the nearest Suzuki dealer and trade it on a brand new 2023 BUSA!!!
This is the golden opportunity you have now, perfect excuse to get a new Busa, your wife will probably want you to get rid of that UNRELIABLE old yella n black thing, and get a nice sparkly new Busa too... ya think?

View attachment 1666473
Nope, this is my last bike....when the day comes that it starts to become unreliable or I can't trust it...off it goes.....and it won't be replaced...

Back