Gen-3 ECU now able to flash/tune…

From the factory it has better brakes, a better seat, LED lights, better suspension, full electronic suite, better ergos, a stronger mid range....how many people live above 9000rpm on a regular basis?

The gen 3 has proven to be a faster bike throughout the range until it comes to top end.

If I was out bike shopping, the gen 3 would be at the top of my list.
Agree. Counterpoint, top hp number is great marketing and sells vehicles. It is a bit surprising that Suzuki didn’t up the overall power substantially. They spent the R&D mostly elsewhere which we will all benefit from. Maybe they know we are an aging group? Lol. Frankly the Gen 3 looks spoke to me and is a big reason I chose it in addition to the improved ergos and electronic dodads.

Agree. Counterpoint, top hp number is great marketing and sells vehicles. It is a bit surprising that Suzuki didn’t up the overall power substantially. They spent the R&D mostly elsewhere which we will all benefit from. Maybe they know we are an aging group? Lol. Frankly the Gen 3 looks spoke to me and is a big reason I chose it in addition to the improved ergos and electronic dodads.
True, coffee house bragging rights are a thing....

I guess Suzuki saw the bike having to be governed at 300kms/hr and just said the heck with it, let's give it more mid range....??

All the time knowing people would be wanting to modify it for more power...probably why they kept the same basic engine so the gen 2 cams will pop in and then build the rest of the internals to accept lots of boost.

From the factory it has better brakes, a better seat, LED lights, better suspension, full electronic suite, better ergos, a stronger mid range....how many people live above 9000rpm on a regular basis?

The gen 3 has proven to be a faster bike throughout the range until it comes to top end.

If I was out bike shopping, the gen 3 would be at the top of my list.

I don't get the cam complaint.
No, I have not ridden a gen3 yet(only sat on it, and really liked it, lol)
I have yet to hear anyone that owns or has ridden a gen3 complain that it has no high rpm power either, and it seems some people are missing that.
Only a 10k redline? The bike isn't any slower, so...a few hundred less rpm up top(that cam complaint again).
I ride in the mountains, and only ride straight roads to get me there.
I like taking a passenger sometimes.
So midrange is exactly what I want and need.
I will get a gen3 eventually, and I'm the guy thats going to pipe, filter, flash, tune, suspension, brakes, and bst's would be nice kind of guy.
That costs enough in itself...but I'm not into power adder money either.
I think that the guys that drag race and lsr can cough up a few extra bucks for cams, if that gets them the gains they're after, and that expense is a drop in the bucket to most of those builds.
If you feel that you want cams on an otherwise bolt-on bike, go for it.
Cams are relatively inexpensive.
The Busa always had a strong midrange anyway, the fact that it's better now...sounds like an improvement...like everyone who has ridden one says it is.

Last edited:
I don't get the cam complaint.
No, I have not ridden a gen3 yet(only sat on it, and really liked it, lol)
I have yet to hear anyone that owns or ridden a gen3 complain that it has no high rpm power either, and it seems some people are missing that.
Only a 10k redline? The bike isn't any slower, so...a few hundred less rpm up top(that cam complaint again).
I ride in the mountains, and only ride straight roads to get me there.
I like taking a passenger sometimes.
So midrange is exactly what I want and need.
I will get a gen3 eventually, and I'm the guy thats going to pipe, filter, flash, tune, suspension, brakes, and bst's would be nice kind of guy.
That costs enough in itself...but I'm not into power adder money either.
I think that the guys that drag race and lsr can cough up a few extra bucks for cams, if that gets them the gains they're after, and that expense is a drop in the bucket to most of those builds.
If you feel that you want cams on an otherwise bolt-on bike, go for it.
Cams are relatively inexpensive.
The Busa always had a strong midrange anyway, the fact that it's better now...sounds like an improvement...like everyone who has ridden one says it is.
Suzuki said they set it up for mid range by installing different cams....and Chris Moore pointed out that it falls off much sooner because of them.....something an ECU flash can't compensate for.

So for people who are striving for the ultimate top speed rush, cam replacement is a necessity...for the rest of us we would never miss the tope end rush so no worries.

I only played with cams on my Bandit...it had gobs of mid range but fell flat on its fast higher up in the rev range...I played with various GSXR cams and stayed with an exhaust cam in the intake..it gave decent mid range and decent top end...nothing really exciting.

I'm not a top end rider, I spend most of my riding in the mid range so I personally would never miss the top end.

I suppose it is the stigmatism that the '99 was almost a 200mph bike out of the crate and the other generations have a legacy to live up to....??

I still say the gen 3 engine was designed to be boosted....but Suzuki either chickened out or couldn't get it to conform to Euro 5.
What we are all forgetting is supply chain issues as well. I know from working in automotive collision repair industry that it is functionally screwed at the moment. Sheet metal parts on back order for months. Hell even tires are horrible to get. Massive price hikes on parts too. I think they did the right thing keeping with a supply line that was well established and able to produce what they have.

What we are all forgetting is supply chain issues as well. I know from working in automotive collision repair industry that it is functionally screwed at the moment. Sheet metal parts on back order for months. Hell even tires are horrible to get. Massive price hikes on parts too. I think they did the right thing keeping with a supply line that was well established and able to produce what they have.
I think the gen 3 was made long before supply lines became jammed up due to the pandemic..

I've read that Kawasaki have had issues trying to get their H2 line Euro 5 compliant and still keep the power delivery where it is. I'd imagine there was a bit of talk within the industry regarding this.

Ive been seeing and hearing alot of guys now tuned that the gen 3 is still slow and just not up to par with current 1 litres.

Hard to compete with the current crop of liter bikes....
Dude I was talking to said the motor was barely restricted to begin with and after it was dyno tuned they don't pick up much. He was very disappointed with its performance compared to a gen 2.

Dude I was talking to said the motor was barely restricted to begin with and after it was dyno tuned they don't pick up much. He was very disappointed with its performance compared to a gen 2.
You mentioned liter bikes...hence my response regarding liter bikes..

It has been proven several times the gen 3 is faster than a gen 2...the gen 2 has a top end advantage but by that time the gen 3 is long gone (or at least in the lead).

....and nobody knew how restricted the ECU was until it was unlocked.

You mentioned liter bikes...hence my response regarding liter bikes..

It has been proven several times the gen 3 is faster than a gen 2...the gen 2 has a top end advantage but by that time the gen 3 is long gone (or at least in the lead).

....and nobody knew how restricted the ECU was until it was unlocked.
It sucks I was hoping the gen 3 would be a game changer once it was tuned. Quicker then a bike produced back in 2008 by not alot isn't really good enough for me.

It sucks I was hoping the gen 3 would be a game changer once it was tuned. Quicker then a bike produced back in 2008 by not alot isn't really good enough for me.
I think many other people are in the same boat....

Suzuki set the bar high and a lot of people wanted much more...remember all the posts when the gen 3 came out from older members who were upset the gen 3 wasn't a barn burner.

I still think it's a stellar bike with gobs of potential though...

I think too many people are hung up on paper numbers.
Everyone that I talk to or listen too that has ridden the gen3 says it is noticeable improvement in many ways over the gen2...which is Still a great bike.
The gen2 is a refined gen1, so it stands to reason the gen3 is a refined gen2.
A steady progression...without changing the overall bike too much.
Consider the cost as well.
Trying to make more hp, especially with emissions, regardless if you detune it, doesn't come cheap.
And at $18,600 retail, it's pretty pricey as is.
To go much higher in cost would really require the performance you would be paying for.
I for one have no interest in paying $23-$25k+ for any bike, that I'm going to spend alot modding anyway.
Consider that big bore and stroker, NA Busas have never had a big market, but it's there for those who want it.
And, if you want a turbo(or SC), you know you have an excellent starting point...and are going to change everything that people are complaining about anyway.
I know enough about gen1 and gen2's, with lots of years and miles, and from just sitting on a gen3, and hearing most everyone confirm that the changes Suzuki claims are accurate, that I see the gen3 as another excellent 'does everything well' bike, that can be modded for the rider's preference.
I don't care that it doesn't have 10 more hp up top.

Everyone that I talk to or listen too that has ridden the gen3 says it is noticeable improvement in many ways over the gen2...which is Still a great bike.
Trying to make more hp, especially with emissions, regardless if you detune it, doesn't come cheap.
To go much higher in cost would really require the performance you would be paying for.
I for one have no interest in paying $23-$25k+ for any bike, that I'm going to spend alot modding anyway.
Consider that big bore and stroker, NA Busas have never had a big market, but it's there for those who want it.
And, if you want a turbo(or SC), you know you have an excellent starting point...and are going to change everything that people are complaining about anyway.
I know enough about gen1 and gen2's, with lots of years and miles, and from just sitting on a gen3, and hearing most everyone confirm that the changes Suzuki claims are accurate, that I see the gen3 as another excellent 'does everything well' bike, that can be modded for the rider's preference.
We are paying $23-$25k+ for them up here....but they are selling so there's that...

The gen 3 is a better bike overall.

Take a 2018 zx10 off the show room floor and a gen 3 hayabusa throw a pipe and tunes on both and the zx10 will put buses on a gen 3. I don't care about hp or torque numbers I care about how fast it is hahaha.

Back