Gen-3 ECU now able to flash/tune…

I'm probably a minority, but I dig them and the flames. I'm having a little remorse going with the 05 GSXR1K muffler because it's chambered and think it'll reduce pops/bangs and possibly suppress the flames.

I like that he eliminated the noise in 6th completely for cruising. If the tune is some what similar to a vehicle that has been tuned to make the noise, it seems that you have to be in the upper rev range to get the noise. Higher the revs when you close the throttle, the more noise. I'm hoping that just running around and shifting normally, there should not be any/much pops & bangs. IE make all the noise you want on command. This is speculative though, will be interesting to hear more over the next week or so.

I wonder much fuel does it waste to make that noise?
It's the Pair system that makes the noise....the ECU (now) can be programmed to eliminate the Pair like it was able to do on the gen 2.

Mine only pops when I am high in the revs and chop the throttle (coming to a stop for example).

I think there's going to be a big market for aftermarket gen3 cams..

I believe the camshafts have a lot to do with the power produced, and limited at just above 10,000. Throttle bodies can only flow so much cfm even when enhanced by velocity stacks.

Editing can do a lot to change the tuning now. It won't magically make us extra horsepower unless we discover some limiting factor designed into it by the factory tuners.

"We" have been into this motor for a long time. We can do all sorts of things to build big horsepower. We can replace the throttle bodies, swap injectors, we can increase displacement, we change cam profiles, we can add forced induction, there is nothing we can't do.

Now that Woolich has given us the keys to kingdom, thank you, let's get busy with the mad scientist sh!t !.

Hayabusa owners are some of the most creative people I know. :popcorn:

I believe the camshafts have a lot to do with the power produced, and limited at just above 10,000. Throttle bodies can only flow so much cfm even when enhanced by velocity stacks.

Editing can do a lot to change the tuning now. It won't magically make us extra horsepower unless we discover some limiting factor designed into it by the factory tuners.

"We" have been into this motor for a long time. We can do all sorts of things to build big horsepower. We can replace the throttle bodies, swap injectors, we can increase displacement, we change cam profiles, we can add forced induction, there is nothing we can't do.

Now that Woolich has given us the keys to kingdom, thank you, let's get busy with the mad scientist sh!t !.

now the key to unlocking is available folks will be tweaking engine cc to 1441 make proper torque and power, of course they will need to bore out the GEN1 Barrels :)

Exactly...on the Japanese video I posted a while back, the engineers were counting on owners (like us) to decide to make whatever power we wanted to make....the only downside to this is the extra addition of needing other cam shafts to make power up top while sacrificing mid range.

One of the engineers actually said he hoped people would just leave the bike alone but knows they will change it to make it their own...

Well yesterday was a great day. Had my Gen 3 Akrapovic Exhaust installed and Woolich Flash tuned. So we ran bike stock changed exhaust and tuned. Busa lost 31 lbs and gained 10% for horsepower and torque after all was said and done.
Awesome..
My fav exhaust.
After ride report be interesting. Any change in smoothness, etc

Interesting stuff. As others have written Dyno results depend on temperature, humidity, which machine etc. Here are the results on mine earlier this year from an outfit I've been using for the last 15+ years. Before and after adding the Akropovič Racing Line (Titanium) 4 into 1 exhaust with baffle (noise damper) fitted. Nothing else was done to the bike.

Hayabusa Gen 3 PDQ Dyno 10_01_2022.jpg

He's done bone stock dyno runs on those bikes (probably the same one-not sure) on earlier videos...in July so probably hotter...

Right so he had 184 with just a brocks ct single on this. No sprint no swingarm not tune. Doesn't look good for advertising the new tuning.

Right so he had 184 with just a brocks ct single on this. No sprint no swingarm not tune. Doesn't look good for advertising the new tuning.

but you have great mid range its where you want it on the road

1340cc engines are a compromise - keep the mid range and a have an ok top end

or

have it screaming at 11,500 and be flat at the bottom

i'm afraid you can't have your cake and eat it

i keep saying it's the cams - put Gen2 cams in and she will fly

Last edited:

or

That's exactly what I was thinking.... Put a set of Gen2 cams in and see what happens..

That's exactly what I was thinking.... Put a set of Gen2 cams in and see what happens..
It's characteristics will revert to a gen 2....as it's an enhanced gen 2 engine...the cams give the gen 3 it's mid range punch but take away the top end rush.....changing cams will take from one to give to the other...

I played with cams in my Bandit as it was the same way, lots of mid range but no top end...I put GSXR cams in it but the mid range flattened out and it had gobs of top end..I ended up putting a GSXR exhaust cam in the intake and a stock Bandit cam in the exhaust.....it balanced it off somewhat...

That being said, if there was enough of a market an aftermarket cam company might make one to balance out the gen 3 as well......

or

I am still of a belief Suzuki built this bike to be boosted but for some reason ran into trouble trying to make it run clean enough for Euro 5 regs...so set it up for a mid range punch.

Are the cams out of a BKIng I wonder.....? The clutch and brake MMC are so I wonder.....

The flash is a success regardless, as there are several beneficial changes.
The reason it didn't do as much as most of us had hoped, is because the engine apparently turned out to not be as electronically limited to begin with, as most of us *assumed* it would be..like most bikes on the market today.

Last edited:
I know Moore spent 4 days working on his Gen3 tunes and seemingly has it all sorted. Is it worth sending the computer in to him for at tune now or think it's worth waiting a little bit before doing so? Now would be a good time for me to send it in, but I don't want to jump the gun

I know Moore spent 4 days working on his Gen3 tunes and seemingly has it all sorted. Is it worth sending the computer in to him for at tune now or think it's worth waiting a little bit before doing so? Now would be a good time for me to send it in, but I don't want to jump the gun
You can always send it in now. If he finds more or you do other changes down the road he still does "touch up tunes"

or

What I am saying its skewed due to different weather conditions. He got 184 with just a pipe last year and same bike with just a pipe and filter got less this time around.

Back