Son learning to drive: F1 car ok?

bazooki

Registered
My oldest son is getting his licence in December as he is turning 16 and I was thinking about getting him a F1 car to start out with. It has about the same performance as a Busa but with a LOT more crash protection! What do you think?:whistle:

??? I don't get it ???

He's trying to be a smart ass and act like starting out on a busa is the same as starting out in an F1 car. Clearly doesn't know much about F1 cars or the difference between learning do drive on the road in anything versus learning to ride a motorcycle.

ahhhh gotcha' :laugh: I'm a bit older and I would do close to anything to drive an F1 after some training and on some else's dime. :bowdown::thumbsup:

If he starts with an F1 car, then what are his hopes going to be when he's 20~?~

Gotta give him something to look forward to~!!~ :laugh:

He's trying to be a smart ass and act like starting out on a busa is the same as starting out in an F1 car. Clearly doesn't know much about F1 cars or the difference between learning do drive on the road in anything versus learning to ride a motorcycle.

Actually I think I AM being a smart ass and I do know something about F1 cars having spent some time in open wheelers on a racetrack, visiting circuits over 30 some years and following F1 for around the same amount of time. Racetracks are much safer than driving on the roads btw which helps to further my point.

Unless he's been driving for the past, at least 6 years if not 8 he's behind the power curve for F-1 cars. those kids drive mini carts with 250cc engines that'll do 100 miles an hour and work their way up.

I'd put him in the 4 cylinder Ford "F1 car look alike" on the track and that could be a real nice trainer~!~ Still gotta keep his foot out of it a bit though

A friend did 122mph in one of those at Maxton two events ago... :thumbsup:

I've seen people that did not know how to drive floor it and not let off until the crash occurs. I had over a hundred stitches in my face to prove it (letting someone else drive a Z28 in the 80's) so I also do not believe in putting someone brand new on a high horsepower machine until they get some experience under their belt~!~

boredcat.jpg

I guess I'm the only one on here that's tired of the "BUSA AS A BEGINNER BIKE?" threads......

Last edited:

I think it's going just a bit far to call the guy a "smart a$$". No need to get ugly about it.

Blah, blah, freaking blah... Can we beat this dead horse a little more? I can't quite see the bones...
Posted via Mobile Device

Blah, blah, freaking blah... Can we beat this dead horse a little more? I can't quite see the bones...
Posted via Mobile Device

But it's not a dead horse, that's exactly my point. This is a horse that's coming into our corral every week if not more often than that. It just keeps coming up again and again and I find it very frustrating that these new riders are very often receiving advice from riders that have only a little more experience. That of course is one of the problems with forums in general....you never know who is giving you advice and what knowledge/experience that advice is drawn from....

I guess I'm the only one on here that's tired of the "BUSA AS A BEGINNER BIKE?" threads......

Now I see the point you a re trying to make.
IMO dont get the F1. Get him the Bugatti Veyron EB 16.4. That is at least street legel.

Actually I think I AM being a smart ass and I do know something about F1 cars having spent some time in open wheelers on a racetrack, visiting circuits over 30 some years and following F1 for around the same amount of time. Racetracks are much safer than driving on the roads btw which helps to further my point.

Oh man you FOLLOWED F1? Better bow down to your superiority. Not like I haven't been driving around in cars on the streets that make way more horsepower than F1 cars, and I'm only 22. I apparently I don't know **** because you watched some professionals race on TV. You win.

But it's not a dead horse, that's exactly my point. This is a horse that's coming into our corral every week if not more often than that. It just keeps coming up again and again and I find it very frustrating that these new riders are very often receiving advice from riders that have only a little more experience. That of course is one of the problems with forums in general....you never know who is giving you advice and what knowledge/experience that advice is drawn from....

How bout those of us who have several years experience, bought the busa as our first bike, and haven't had any problems with it? Haven't riden above our level, haven't had some terrible crash, etc? Just because it's not what EVERYONE does doesn't make it wrong... I'm so tired of hearing people tell newbies "No, don't get one. There's no way you can handle the power/weight of a busa without x number of years experience on smaller bikes." People are different. Some like to start small and work their way up. Others of us buy the bike we really want to begin with. As long as you understand the risks and understand there's a learning curve and that you shouldn't expect to be a pro the first time you plant your butt in the saddle, there's not a problem with it...

Back