ZX-12 - If any of this is true - OUCH!!!

OB_Zleeper

Registered
www.motorcycleworld.co.uk/preview/news/latest_news/latest_news.htm

Here's the full text:

KAWASAKI'S ZX-12R will be launched this autumn and it's ready to tackle Suzuki's Hayabusa.

The ZX-12R has been undergoing final road testing near Frankfurt, in Germany, before it is officially revealed at next month's Milan bike show.

It was due out earlier this year but Kawasaki delayed it and went back to the drawing board when it saw what the Hayabusa could do.

ZX-12R is in sharp contrast to its more bulbous Suzuki rival. While the Suzuki is shrouded in curves and bulges to boost aerodynamics - a crucial factor in reaching the highest speeds - the Kawasaki has a much more conventional and cleaner sports bike look. If anything, it looks a bit bland.

There's no sign of a Suzuki-style seat hump or the prominent nose which helps the Hayabusa to 194mph. Yet insiders are claiming the ZX-12R will reach 210mph. If it does, it will be the first production bike to beat the magic 200mph in standard trim.

The ZX-12R has clean, uncluttered lines and large, twin sports-style headlights.

There is a distinct family resemblance to the ZX-9R, too. The only obvious attempt at streamlining is the front fairing's narrow, wheel-hugging shape which extends the nose well over the wheel.

Kawasaki is working on the theory that building the bike as low and as compact as possible reduces the bike's frontal area and that is the most important factor in cutting speed-sapping drag.

High footrests and a cover over the pillion seat emphasise the 1200's sports character. Cornering clearance appears to be massive.

Like the Hayabusa, this is no sports tourer. It joins a new generation of hypersports bikes so far removed from the sports-tourer nature of the ZZ-R1100, that the older Kawasaki is certain to remain in the firm's line-up for 2000.
The ZX-12R's big four-cylinder engine is predicted to churn out close to 200bhp at high speed when the ram-air system is cramming maximum air pressure into the intakes, or about 180bhp at the crankshaft on the dyno.

That compares to the Hayabusa's claimed 172bhp at the crank. Ram-air boosts the Hayabusa to around 190bhp at high speeds.

The ram-air intake duct on the Kawasaki is clear to see, jutting into the airstream below the twin headlights.
It appears, from our photograph, to go the traditional Kawasaki route of having upside-down forks and four-pot front brakes.

The same sources which claim the bike will top 210mph also say it will cover a quarter-mile from a standing start in 9.52 seconds, beating the standard-setting Hayabusa's 9.88 seconds. Kawasaki refuses to discuss whether the bike even exists, let alone whether the speculation about its performance is accurate.

The ZX-12R is likely to cost under £8000 to compete with the £7899 Hayabusa. The ZX-12R is expected to go on sale here early next year.

Hey Bear, lets be fair. In 2040, history will also show that Kaw came out with the ZX-11, and was the only piece of history for the next 7 years. Give credit where credit is due.

Speedemon, are you quivering at the knees. Such harsh words for a bike that has such potential. Don't knock it till you've tried it. I don't understand why everyones so hard on the ZX-12, aside from brand loyalty and plain old just scared of extinction. But I'll bet it'll be one hell of a force to reckon with. I would suggest getting your Busas piped and ready to rock before this thing arrives. I have no doubts that the green monster will prevail but to hit 210 mph. DOUBTFUL!!!

9.5's I can believe, I read that a long time ago in one of my mags that had a busa article in it. Thats 9.5's with a pro rider. The 210 is probably from that article with the "strong tailwind". The 3/10 of a second over the stock busa is pretty impressive if true though. What would the terminal speed be on that? High 140's?? :) :( :0 :[

Superman, wasn't Krypotonite Kawasaki puke green - careful it could kill ya!!!

Zleeper, the 1986 GSXR1100 will be the class of that era, the 1999 Hayabusa of the present. Kawasaki's biggest contribution since the Z1 will probably be the "Drifter".
Cause in 1999 they drifted away from the performance market and just went cruising.
So till the summer of Y2K all you Kawpokes can Drift and cruise on and wait and wait and wait for your precious zx12 and wait. :(

What's all this hype over who can break 200? Yea, I'm in to owning the "fastest production bike"(today). What's important is what happens in the low and mid ranges as that's where I do most my riding. Today, the busa looks good, was a great value and the fit and finish is exceptional. And, I hadn't seen much on the boards about how easy and forgiving the busa is to ride. The 12 I'm sure will have more juice as it has too or Kawi won't have the bragging rights for Y2K. Remember, its all in personal preferences and besides, its good that Suzuki has pushed the other manufactures to their limits with a mildly-tuned sport bike.

[This message has been edited by jr7501 (edited 21 August 1999).]

Its not smart to pull on Supermans cape. I was in the Suzuki dealer today and it took everything I had to not put the Busa on my credit card, you know , because Superman does have good credit. I didn't think it was, financially speaking, the best move and besides, Superwoman would have my balls of steel hanging on her wall. But I just can't help myself. All that horsepower is so tempting and its just calling out to me. I don't think I want to wait to see what Kawasaki MIGHT be when I could own the very first year of the Hayabusa NOW. Its just so damn beatiful I can't resist. I have to go back there Monday so we'll see if I'm the proud new owner Of a Suzuki.

Let's face it. The Hayabusa is already a classic, before the ZX-12 even exists. My prediction; in the year 2049, motorcycle magazines will have "In this issue 50 years ago" articles about the introduction of the awesome-by-1999-standards Hayabusa. Mint-condition 'Busas in 2049 will be worth much more than they are today. Kawasaki makes good bikes, but Suzuki made history.

Zleeper, there is a difference between the 'Busa and the ZX-11. The Hayabusa is an all-new model, while the ZX was an extension from the ZX-9 and ZX-10...still an awesome accomplishment though, you're right, and it will be remembered.

Since the Japanese manufacturers came on the scene in the 60's sportbikes have been pushing forward constantly, and a few will stand out as all-time greats. So many of them are really good bikes that it is hard to tell which ones will kind of disappear into the background, remembered only by their owners, and which will really be remembered and prized.

The ZX-11 was on the top of the heap for so long it won't possibly fade away. We probably have a couple of all-timers on hand right now in the R-1 and the 'Busa. For history, the ZX-12 is still a blank page. What we know is it is following a tough act.

from Motorcycle Daily........

ZX-12 is Ready; Where Will It End?

Motorcycle News of England is reporting that the Kawasaki ZX-12 is being tested in its final production form in Germany. The British weekly goes on to say that its inside sources have seen mid-nines in the quarter mile and 210 miles per hour top speed in production trim.

If these reports are even close to being true, the ZX-12 will be the fastest and quickest production motorcycle ever sold to the public. Where will this all end? There is a rumored small block V6 Honda in the development stages, which will put out well over 200 horsepower. Also, as you have probably heard, Norton Motorcycles is planning to sell a small block V8 (also with well over 200 horsepower) later this year.

Due to the limited traction provided by the relatively skinny rear tire of a motorcycle (versus a car), and the tendency of powerful motorcycles to wheelie under acceleration, there are practical limits to the amount of horsepower you can use on the street. Nevertheless, "speed junkies" must be rejoicing over the fairly inexpensive missiles available from Honda (CBR 1100XX) and Suzuki (Hayabusa) - and salivating over the prospect of a similarly priced ZX-12.

Sounds interesting to me. If True. No cut-outs or hicups would be nice too. Exactly what date is the Milan show in September?
Bob

Rejoicing over the 'Busa and salivating over the ZX, that's about right. A Honda V-6 sportbike? Possible...believe it when we see it. A Norton V-8? People have been talking about that one for long enough that it sounds like the proverbial white elephant.

There's an Australian guy, Ian Drysdale, who has a V-8 sportbike prototype now (see the May issue of Motorcyclist). He may get it into production eventually, but it will be made in small enough numbers, for a high enough price, that I really doubt I would ever even seriously consider trying to own one. And his current prototype can't hang with a Hayabusa anyway.

But at least Drysdale has some hardware. The Honda and the Norton are paper bikes, period.

ZX-12 would be the first production bike to break the 200mph barrier in standard trim? If i recall right the Hayabusa has been there done that. MCN's site i believe had the video and in the brit mag BIKE where they had the busa go against the Blackbird,ZX-11 ninja, and R1, yet again the busa did 200.2 mph. The 2000 busa's should have all bugs worked out and should be very reliable in their "detuned" state. I have to wonder what bugs the ZX-12 will have if it ever comes out. And if its engine is somewhat watered down or at its full limit and most likely, a near handgrenade. I remember some report saying the Zx-12 looked to have a better built finish to it then the busa. Excuse me?? The Gap in the frame, HUGE piece of plastic sticking out from under the headlights (the ram air ducts) and that cheap imitation VFR 800 dashboard is a better cleaner finish then the Busa? I don't think so. That bike already looks problem prone and it hasn't even been released yet. And if it does by chance get the busa in the 1/4 mile and/or top speed, it'll be a small margin. Sorry kawi. I'm still going next monday on my day off to all the nearest suzuke shops to see what Y2k pricing and machine info i can get and ,hopefully, find a place i'm willing to put my deposit down for the busa. This is indeed exciting. I seen what the bike has already done and next year it'll have 5 more horses and diff color schemes. Imagine a Blue and grey busa...mmmmmmmm

Speed

Damn true...that WOULD be a small block. The greatest automotive engine ever made.

265, 283, 302, 327, 350, 365 and 400...all small blocks of the greatest magnitude.

Those who love great bikes also love great cars, too.

Big block on a bike frame,small block on a car frame!!!!!Anything other than a inline four is big block on a motorcycle frame or crazy in my book.But the Boss Hog blows the doors off anything in a straight line as far as burn outs.Check Thunder Press mags back issue,they have a write up on the bike.

VegasDude; You got grass in Vegas?

I thought the ground was just covered in pavement and shattered dreams!!

We have grass in Canada. But we don't mow it. We smoke it.

What has all this got to do with serious discussions about the Hayabusa?

Well, just in case falconCOP is reading, I want him to know that strange things go on in the land beyond 150 mph.

Can't catch me NYAH NYAH!!!!!!!!! :) :) :)

Back